Help me choose my new car!

This is a discussion on Help me choose my new car! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Since gas prices have been steadily climbing, I thought it was time I traded in my gas-guzzling pickup for something more fuel efficient. Since it's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose my new car!

VIP Member

Help me choose my new car!

Since gas prices have been steadily climbing, I thought it was time I traded in my gas-guzzling pickup for something more fuel efficient. Since it's also hard to find parking in downtown Nashville, I figure something a little more compact would be a good idea. Since we Americans are in our giant SUV phase, I had to turn to the Europeans, who seem to like their cars... a bit smaller...

Just think of all the space I'll have in the garage, and how easy washing and waxing will be!

This one was so doggone cute and straight from the Jetson's that I almost picked it up and put it in the back of my truck and drove off with it:

I'm not quite sure how the little guy would handle climbing those rolling TN hills, though.

Mrshonts said that this one was better, because it's a convertible.

And then I spotted this sporty little MG. Ricers ain't got nuthin' on this baby, yeah.

I pondered over my options for a minute, and then I was reminded of how completely insane the drivers on I65 are during rush hour. I mean, what is this? The Indy 500 mated with the Demolition Derby? So I decided I needed something really big that would scare everybody away, something that would muscle all the SUVs and semis off the road, and if the traffic is at a dead standstill, I can just drive over it. It would also be perfect for wet weather conditions and big enough to be able to transport all my gear.

Mrshonts said he was not going to help me should I ever have a flat tire. Wimp.

You can see all these fun cars and many more at the Lane Motor Museum on Murfreesboro Pike in Nashville, TN.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    LOL!

The "cars" in the first 3 photos look like they came from the "bumper cars" ride at the amusement park....

And that made me think about how rush hour on the Interstate could actually be a FUN experience if everyone drove bumper cars :diablotin
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    Betty,

I don't see any indication that you are packin'? Did you leave it at home?

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Please see a small rag called "Dock of the Bay"

http://www.bayweekly.com/year98/dock6_27.html

They had a brief article about energy saving vehicles, one of them invented by the most famous Hells Angel of all time.

In California, the three-wheel, electric motorcycle known as the Sparrow is taking off. The fully enclosed vehicle, which can travel 60 miles on a single charge, received an endorsement from famed Hell's Angel leader Sonny Barger: "I only drive the Harley because I'm in the club. This Sparrow, man, it's the wave of the future" ...

I've seen TV interviews uncovering that he designed portions of the car and he's even an investor. Good grief, a biker with brains. Hard to believe.

VIP Member
    I don't see any indication that you are packin'? Did you leave it at home?
    Oh, I'm packin'. You'll just have to figure out where.

There were some motorcycles there as well, but no Harleys. There was a nice 1950-something BMW, and lots of European crotch rockets.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    Well, those first couple would make for easy parking.........
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Way back when, one of my aunts owned an Isetta like this one. My dad told me a story about an incident where a couple construction workers saw the thing parked, decided to have some fun, and picked it up and moved it between two tight buildings where it would've been impossible for her to drive it out.

My favorite was this one-of-a-kind 1946 Hewson Rocket.

Hi Betty, we have a Toyota Echo, its about $15,000 and gets between 30 to 40mpg on the freeway. It is slow taking hills and the interior noise is considerable on a trip(drove to San Francisco and back). It handled the wind gusting to 45mph pretty good. Its a really good commuting car and will serve you well on trips.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Betty, try THIS: Watch the streaming video on the road course, too.

http://www.commutercars.com/

But my FAV remains: http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html Heck, I could literally LIVE in one of these.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Those ''bubble'' cars take me back - geez, all the rage in UK way back. That first pic even has old UK plates.! Can't ID the first two but third is a Messerschmidt - good one that with tandem seating. The Isetta was quite good and there was also a Heinkel that was similar.

Wickedly underpowered usually, small 2 cycle motors. Plus - frontal protection? Zilch!

Nice pics Betty - good trip out by looks of it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Oh, I'm packin'. You'll just have to figure out where.
    Nothing up her sleeves!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Hi guys, I hope you know I'm kidding about the new car thing; the visit to the museum just needed a storyline. You'll have to peel my Sonoma's steering wheel from my cold, dead hands.

ExSoldier, I loved that website. The shots of the car parked in tight spaces are hilarious.

That museum had a lot of the micro cars, each one in the row smaller than the next, and many had just the three wheels. They even had a micro bus that kinda looked like a scaled down VW hippy bus.

Administrator

Way Too Small

Betty...I just cannot see you buying any vehicle that does not have enough interior space for you AND your giant pet tarantulas. There is no LEG ROOM...haha.

big huge spiders...lots of legs...no leg room...OK...pretty bad...not funny...I'll work on it.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    When I saw that first picture I was looking for the little slot where you put the quarter for a ride. LOL

I can't make too much fun though. I have a back burner project of mine wich I will only say involves a Briggs and stratton 18.5hp V-twin (I wonder when Harley is going to sue them over that terminology) and a the first really narrow differential I run across in the junk yard. I'll either have the worlds fastest garden tractor, or the wimpiest motor trike you have ever seen. I am hoping to get 50mph out of it. LOL

Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Samaritan
    I am hoping to get 50mph out of it. LOL
    Wicked speed freak LOL ......
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links