Brady center trains LEOs?

This is a discussion on Brady center trains LEOs? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Haha, not really, but that's what they seem to be saying. See bolded below, and have fun! http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...=2007709160317 More area residents seek protection by owning ...

Thread: Brady center trains LEOs?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Brady center trains LEOs?

Haha, not really, but that's what they seem to be saying. See bolded below, and have fun!

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...=2007709160317

More area residents seek protection by owning a gun

By Cyril Josh Barker
    and Marty Roney

Local gun store and pawn shop owners say they are selling more guns than usual. The Montgomery Police Department and a private self-defense teacher have seen an increase in the number of people wanting to learn how to use guns.

Residents of the tri-county area say they are afraid.

Montgomery Police Chief Arthur Baylor has said the public apprehension that crime is out of control in Montgomery is more perception than reality. Crime in general is down, he has said, but an unusually high homicide rate and the resulting media attention has created a false sense of insecurity.

Nevertheless, people who sell guns say business is booming.

Hal Reinmiller, owner of The Arms Outpost on Atlanta Highway, said more people from all walks of life are asking him what weapons they should use for personal protection. He added that many purchase weapons after they have been the victim of a crime.

"I've noticed an increase in the last couple of months of people buying guns," he said. "Many of my customers are afraid for their personal safety."

Even though he's a gun seller, Reinmiler said buying a gun is a serious decision that people should think about carefully. He said having a gun doesn't make anyone "immune to crime."

'A huge responsibility'

Autauga County Sheriff Herbie Johnson said gun ownership is part of being an American for law-abiding citizens. But he agreed that people should learn how to use guns or they're likely putting themselves and others in danger.

"I'm a strong believer in the right to bear arms," Johnson said. "But owning a gun brings with it huge responsibility. Not only do you have to know how to use that gun and how it operates, but you have to know firearms safety as well. You have to know where that bullet is going to go once you fire that weapon, you have to know what's behind your target. Once you pull that trigger, you can't call that bullet back."

Private ownership of guns can cause more problems than it solves, according to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. The group is named for former presidential press secretary James Brady, who was wounded during an assassination attempt on his boss, Ronald Reagan. It formerly was known as Handgun Control Inc. It seeks to enact and enforce gun laws, regulations and policies through grassroots activism, and to elect public officials who favor gun control, according to its Web site.

Figures provided by the Brady center show that when guns are in the home there is four times the likelihood of unintentional shootings, seven times the likelihood of assault or homicide and 11 times the likelihood of a suicide or attempted suicide occurring than in a home without guns.

Several of Montgomery's recent gun-related killings support the center's findings. Three of Montgomery's 34 slayings were children killed by their own father. On July 7, a teenager was shot and killed in what was ruled an accidental shooting.

A Brady spokesman said the group is not against the lawful possession of handguns by law-abiding Americans. But it does encourage those who possess weapons to undergo training.

"We aren't against self-defense or having handguns for protection," said Peter Hamm, communications director for the group. "But we train police officers for weeks before we allow them to go on duty armed."

Jamie Stephens of Montgomery said citizens carrying guns can create more danger than the crime rate itself.

"We have a police department. This isn't the Old West where people walked through the streets with their six guns in a holster," he said. "I don't want to be a crime victim. But there's nothing in my wallet worth losing my life over, or taking another person's life. I just feel there is a much better chance of people letting their emotions and fear dictate their actions if there is ready access to guns."

'Worst-case scenario'

Doug Williamson is the director of training at Montgomery's Defense Options Group. He holds classes for civilians on how to use guns for personal protection, and he said there's been an increase in enrollment.

"We have seen a lot more interest," he said. "I think part of it is obviously due to the realization that police can't always be there for you and they can't always be there to protect you."

Williamson said that many of his clients come to him before even buying a gun. He said that people should accept the responsibility of knowing more about personal protection when they purchase firearms.

The Montgomery Police Department offers monthly firearms familiarization classes through the police academy. It's a free service dating back to the administration of former Mayor Emory Folmar. Records show that interest in taking the classes has grown. Two classes are offered each month, with a maximum of 15 students per class. In the last six to eight months, all slots have been filled.

Mike Johnson lives in Montgomery's Dalraida neighborhood. He has decided to buy two pistols, a .40 and a .45 caliber. He lives with his wife and a stepdaughter and is looking to protect his family.

"I feel pretty safe, and I'm buying a gun for a worst-case scenario," he said. "If someone broke into my house and I was at home, I wouldn't know what I would do."

Johnson already has a security system and said he would learn how to use a gun before buying one.

Elmore County resident Jenny Johnston said she travels to Montgomery daily for shopping, church and taking her children to school. She said when she's in Montgomery she feels unsafe and is getting a permit to carry a pistol before she buys one. She said she's probably going to purchase a .38 caliber semi-automatic -- one that will fit in her purse.

"I want to protect myself when I go to Montgomery," said Johnston, whose husband is a hunter. She said there are guns in her home. "Thirty-three murders in nine months is out of control. I believe in gun control -- and I control it with my index finger."

Jim Harris got fed up with the crime in Montgomery two years ago. He bought his wife, Allison, a .38 caliber revolver.

"She knows how to use it, too," said the east Montgomery resident. He was browsing in the Sportman's Headquarters recently, buying shotgun shells for dove season.

"I've always hunted, and we keep a loaded pistol in the house," Harris said. "But I felt she needed something to carry with her just in case. You never know when you are going to be broke down on the side of the road late at night."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

I think the "we" in that sentence refers to society at large, yes?

I agree, the way it's written it sure makes it sound like the Brady Bunch has branched out into LEO training.

Brian

Senior Moderator
    Well living in just outside of Montgomery, I can say that crime is rampant. The criminals now are likely to shoot you first, before they even ask you anything.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Crime in general is down, he has said, but an unusually high homicide rate
    If Homicide doesn't matter, does anything else?
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

"We have a police department. This isn't the Old West where people walked through the streets with their six guns in a holster," he said. "I don't want to be a crime victim. But there's nothing in my wallet worth losing my life over, or taking another person's life. I just feel there is a much better chance of people letting their emotions and fear dictate their actions if there is ready access to guns."
    I'm really getting tired of this argument. So you feel that having a weapon will be too tempting to use at some emotional moment of your life? Great, I second your decision not to own or carry one. But, I'll thank you to stop projecting this fear onto me and other people who take responsibility for our actions.

Senior Moderator
    Bobby Bright the Mayor of montgomery actively encourages citizens to get there Pistol permits and carry.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

There are two ways to gain compliance, reason and force. If one carries a gun you have a means to counteract any force or threat of force. This means all the attacker has left to work with is reason. I carry a gun to take force out of the equation. You cannot reason with me so go away.

"fundamental principle of American law is that a government nor its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any one individual"

-Warren v DC 1983 DC Court of Appeals, as upheld by the US Supreme Court ever since

Links