5th Grade Social Studies class exercise - 2A related

This is a discussion on 5th Grade Social Studies class exercise - 2A related within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mods...please move accordingly... OK...so son #1 comes home today with a project--they are discussing the Bill of Rights and the project was along the lines ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5th Grade Social Studies class exercise - 2A related

5th Grade Social Studies class exercise - 2A related

Mods...please move accordingly...

OK...so son #1 comes home today with a project--they are discussing the Bill of Rights and the project was along the lines of "what rights are you willing to give up". I've provided the exact wording from the worksheet.

<begin worksheet>
    It is the year 2020 and you are living a settled, prosperous life. You are quietly watching television with your family when a special news bulletin comes over the TV station. You immediately see that this is not the normal type of news bulletin because there is what looks like a very strange creature on the screen--the only thing which is familiar is that it is speaking in English. It tells you that it and its people have gained control over all of the communication networks in the United States and that everyone had better pay attention to what is has to say. You change the channel and, just as it said, there it is on every station. It begins to speak very loudly, and you gather your family around because you are beginning to worry about what it is going to do. Its speech is as follows:

My name is STHGIR and I am from the planet NOITUTITSNOC in another galaxy where the inhabitants are far superior to the beings on this planet EARTH. Just as we have gained control over the communications of the United States, we have the ability to take complete control over every one of your lives. We do not war between our planet and yours, but we do want to control some things so that we can live in peace and harmony with you. We have looked at some of your laws and the way your government operates and have found it to give too much freedom to the individual. Therefore, we are going to conduct a survey to try and arrive at a decision with which both you and we are happy. As I have said, we do not want to take everything away from you--but we can't allow you to continue to live as you have in the past. Therefore I am giving you a list of rights which you have according to the Constitution. You are to look over the list and decide which of the rights are more important to you. We will allow you to keep FIVE of the rights. Choose five rights and be prepared to vote. If the vote is not unanimous (that is, if everyone doesn't agree), you will be given a short time to reach a unanimous decision. If you cannot, you will lose all of these freedoms.

Right to keep and bear arms
    Right to freedom of speech
    Right to a lawyer
    Right to protection from cruel and unusual punishment
    Right to freedom of the press
    Right to a jury trial
    Right to freedom of religion
    Right to peaceably assemble
    Right to privacy
    Protection from self-incrimination

<end of worksheet>

So son #1 tells me that no one will listen to him in his group that they should have the right to keep and bear arms...they want to have a lawyer, free press, protection from self-incrimination, privacy and religion. I told him good job...they are supposed to meet again tomorrow. When he finishes the lawn tonight, it will be a long discussion.

Although this is a 5th grade social studies class I'm going to encourage him to not compromise a single right...that is you lose the 2A, you lose the rest of them. I've already shown him the words being used above--i.e., they already have gained control of comms; "we can't allow you....etc", "we do want to control some things..."

I understand the intent of the exercise--but we shouldn't be training/conditioning our kids to give rights away. Hopefully, I will get a phone call from the teacher or principal....

Your thoughts?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    So, Earth has been invaded by liberals? The horror!! (sorry, I couldn't resist)

I would simply point out that we don't know these aliens will keep their word. What if they say we can keep 5 freedoms today, but only 4 next month, and 3 the month after that, until we have nothing? If we give away the right to keep and bear arms, how will we stop them?

I really don't think it needs to be any more complicated an argument than that. The right to arms ensures the existance of the others; it really is that simple. If your son can make his case simply and clearly, his team-mates will be much more likely to agree.

At least they included the RKBA in their list. I wouldn't have been entirely surprised to see it missing in an excercise like this.

This sounds a whole lot like the old life boat scam. They didn't like my answers back then which were based on real world survival and told me that I was not cooperating with the assignment.

I'd probably be the kid saying, first we keep the second amendment, then we get to keep the others. Even if we have to fight for them......

This is an excellent chance to educate your son on the importance of taking a real world stand for what is right, even if it ruffles feathers. I'd back him all the way to the school board! Also glad we decided to home school all those years ago and avoided so much organized stupidity.

I'll shut up now........
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I'm sorry, if they want my rights they are just going to have to bring there little green butt down here and take them.
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    I'm sorry, if they want my rights they are just going to have to bring there little green butt down here and take them.
    - but you're in MD...didn't they already do that?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I really don't think it needs to be any more complicated an argument than that. The right to arms ensures the existance of the others; it really is that simple. If your son can make his case simply and clearly, his team-mates will be much more likely to agree.
    +1.

Alas, this logical conclusion has proven to be unthinkable to some "clear thinking" adults...but it might be clear enough to an unsullied young mind though.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    This assignment seems to be a metaphor about the modern state of the union, designed to:

Identify which students are capable of seeing the big picture, i.e. "Who will follow the assignment and 'give up any RIGHTS' just because everyone else is and the teacher says so?"

or

Provoke pro-2A parents into a reaction.

Perhaps your child is lucky enough to have a good teacher...

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Right to keep and bear arms
    Right to freedom of speech
    Right to a lawyer
    Right to protection from cruel and unusual punishment
    Right to freedom of the press
    Right to a jury trial
    Right to freedom of religion
    Right to peaceably assemble
    Right to privacy
    Protection from self-incrimination
    I find this assignment extremely offensive. First, the dyslexic spelling of RIGHTS and CONSTITUTION belies the intent. These listed 'rights' are not all included in the Constitution. There is no right to privacy. Immediately, that erroneously includes something made up, i.e. judicial activism. Also, we do not have a right to a lawyer, we have the right to have the assistance from a lawyer. The Constitution has been twisted in our education system (and the courts) so people do not even understand what it says or what it means. Our rights are God given. The Constitution enumerates specific rights that the government cannot infringe.

The assignment's intent is clear, which is why the 2nd Amendment was listed first. It is a specific attack on the 2nd in an attempt to indoctrinate young minds. It is disgraceful.

No one can take our rights unless we give them up.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I find this assignment extremely offensive. First, the dyslexic spelling of RIGHTS and CONSTITUTION belies the intent. These listed 'rights' are not all included in the Constitution. There is no right to privacy. Immediately, that erroneously includes something made up, i.e. judicial activism. Also, we do not have a right to a lawyer, we have the right to have the assistance from a lawyer. The Constitution has been twisted in our education system (and the courts) so people do not even understand what it says or what it means. Our rights are God given. The Constitution enumerates specific rights that the government cannot infringe.

The assignment's intent is clear, which is why the 2nd Amendment was listed first. It is a specific attack on the 2nd in an attempt to indoctrinate young minds. It is disgraceful.

I agree...not sure the purpose of the assignment and how it relates to social studies. It is clear that the goal is to give up 2A when compared to the other rights when it all is a fantasy in the first place...hence...what's the real intent?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    - but you're in MD...didn't they already do that?
    As long as I don't leave the house I'm good!
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

Here is what I would give for an answer:

Not one; we will not give up one of our rights. You may have some control of our society, but we will never live under the boot of a tyrant, understand that you will have to come and take all of them away, because we are a free people, and will live or die a free people. After all, like the bumper sticker said, "Those who beat their rifles into plows will plow for those who dont"

Also tell the Teacher to find some other planet to live on.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post

Agreed!

The purpose of the exercise is to eviscerate the Constitution? What sort of "social studies" course is this?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Maybe you could present the teacher with a copy of the Constitution and a copy of the Bill of Rights. It might be the only way to get a copy into the school system.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    We'll keep the right to keep and bear arms, but you can have the bullets. Come and get them!

Public school? Go a different route:

My rights are inalienable as they are granted by God. Liberty or death!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links