AWAT: 'Bank Robber Points Gun At Toddler'

This is a discussion on AWAT: 'Bank Robber Points Gun At Toddler' within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Preface: There was no good guy and the BG got away in this case. But it is yet another example of to what extremes BGs ...

Thread: AWAT: 'Bank Robber Points Gun At Toddler'

AWAT: 'Bank Robber Points Gun At Toddler'

Preface:
    There was no good guy and the BG got away in this case.
    But it is yet another example of to what extremes BGs will go to get from us what they want, anywhere any time (AWAT).
    I wonder how this father feels now having his boy taken from his guard and not having been able to do a damn thing about it else wise. :(
    This is one of one million reasons why I choose to carry a gun concealed on my person, and train to use it.

---

As reported via WKYW.com (PA):

Sep 19, 2007 8:30 am US/Eastern
    Caught On Tape: Bank Robber Points Gun At Toddler

(AP) ALLENTOWN, Pa. An armed bank robber grabbed a toddler and walked him to the teller's window, where a startling image of the boy staring up at the suspect and his gun was captured on surveillance film.

The robber took hold of the boy as the 2 1/2-year-old was leaving a PNC Bank in South Whitehall Township with his father, police said.

"As they were turning to leave, this guy is coming in and takes the boy and walks him into the bank and makes the father drop his keys and cell phone," South Whitehall police investigator Mike Harbove said.

The suspect -- hidden behind a mask, gloves and hooded sweat shirt -- also brandished the gun at a teller, police said. He did not threaten to shoot the boy or the father, police said.

The suspect fled on foot with several thousand dollars after the robbery Saturday afternoon.

Police have no suspects, but hope the photo will prompt calls from people who may recognize him.

The story with video of the incident can be found at; http://cbs3.com/local/local_story_261174616.html

- Janq

Personal Note: I never go in the bank and pretty much have done all of my banking over the last 10 yrs. or so via driveup windows and as of this year online as well. But in a case like this for a CCW I'm pretty confident that a head shot, from behind, would be justified by any jury (maybe not a judge) in any court of the land.
    Anyway again stuff can and does happen anywhere to any one at any time.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not an armed citizen success story. General news items like this where BGs use guns but no GG success we are putting in the O/T forum.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Got ya and thanks.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    But in a case like this for a CCW I'm pretty confident that a head shot, from behind, would be justified by any jury (maybe not a judge) in any court of the land.
    No question which way I'd go if I were on that jury, and I can't see any reasonable person having a problem with it. An armed robber, pointing a gun at your young child's face, is about as clear-cut as it gets, IMO...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

It's now hit national news via ABCNews.com:

Robber Grabs Toddler During Bank Heist
    Bank Robber Grabs Toddler, Holds Him at Gunpoint While Pulling Off Heist in Pennsylvania

"In this surveillance photo provided by the South Whitehall Township Police Department, shown is an armed bank robber, left, holding onto a 2-1/2-year-old boy while he robs a PNC Bank in South Whitehall Township, Allentown, Pa., as an unidentified male with his hands on his head is seen at right on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2007. The suspect, who grabbed the toddler as the boy was leaving the bank with his father, fled on foot with several thousand dollars after the robbery and left the boy and his father unharmed.(AP Photo/PNC Bank via the South Whitehall Township Police Department)"
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3621185

- Janq

Scary... one reason I almost never go into a bank....

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    No question which way I'd go if I were on that jury, and I can't see any reasonable person having a problem with it. An armed robber, pointing a gun at your young child's face, is about as clear-cut as it gets, IMO...
    Although I feel exactly the same as you do concerning this situation, it is sad to say that not all people are reasonable.
    I know there are people out there that believe under no circumstances does the BG deserve to be killed, even if the toddler ended up getting killed by him.
    *Note-That is unless the toddler was theirs.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I wonder if anyone had a weapon in the bank, but felt they couldn't draw and get a shot off before the robber put a bullet in the child's head?

Asking for someone to draw from concealment and nail brain stem shot before the criminal can get a shot off...tall order, at least for me.

I'd be very reluctant to try that unless I saw the guy was distracted and the gun was away from the kid.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    I wonder if anyone had a weapon in the bank, but felt they couldn't draw and get a shot off before the robber put a bullet in the child's head?

Asking for someone to draw from concealment and nail brain stem shot before the criminal can get a shot off...tall order, at least for me.

I'd be very reluctant to try that unless I saw the guy was distracted and the gun was away from the kid.
    Like Janq said - muzzle contact distance from behind. When the BG is at the teller window, everyone else in the bank is behind him, and he obviously hadn't proned everyone out (witness the guy standing next to the BG with his hands on his head). I would not, however, try to draw and shoot from where the BG could see me unless I thought there was absolutely no other option.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I think we're all agreed here that things would have turned out differently had any of us been that child's father.

We're also all pretty much agreed that a shoot would have been justifiable (we're not all agreed as to whether it would have been practical, and that would depend mainly on where each of us was in relation to Mr. Scum).

It would be very, very difficult for me to stand by, while armed, as a walking pile of feces uses a CHILD as a shield/hostage....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Administrator
    If I was in that bank & I had a killing shot I would have taken it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If I was in that bank & I had a killing shot I would have taken it.
    ...and if I were standing behind you, I loan you a couple of extra mags...just to be sure!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Using a child - let alone another innocent - is the ultimate lowest of lows. Obviously shows how he values human life.

Hey Mr. bankrobber:
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Links