Bear Attack

This is a discussion on Bear Attack within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is an interesting article of a man attacked by a bear in a Washington park. This is one reason that I always carry a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Attack

Bear Attack

Here is an interesting article of a man attacked by a bear in a Washington park. This is one reason that I always carry a .44 Magnum when hiking but there is something else interesting the victim says about the attack. "He was too close and too quick. I had no chance to decide what to do," said Blasioli, ...."It's surreal. You don't understand this is happening. At one point I thought, 'This is it, I'm going to die.'" This sounds very much like the victim of any attack by any preditor, two legged or four. A good reason why we practice situational awareness.

http://www.twincities.com/national/c...nclick_check=1

Bear attack victim saved by bike helmet
    The Associated Press
    News Fuze
    Article Last Updated:

OLALLA, Wash.—A couple of barks from his dog ahead of him on the trail was all the warning Anthony Blasioli got. An instant later, he was fighting with a black bear for his life.
    Returning to Banner Forest Heritage Park for the first time since the Labor Day weekend attack, Blasioli, 51, told the Kitsap Sun it was only after he prayed that the bear ended the Sept. 2 attack.

In an interview with CNN aired Wednesday morning, he also said his bicycle helmet helped save his life.

"I think it did some help there because he bit through and got my ear. ... But the rest of my face is still here, so I'm glad about that," Blasioli said.

State wildlife experts tried without success to locate and trap the bear. The park was closed until Monday and has been posted with warning signs.

At the park Monday with his father and mother, Blasioli told the newspaper he had been riding his mountain bike, as he did every weekend, for 45 minutes to an hour when he heard a couple of barks from Pine, one of his two dogs, ahead of him on the narrow, bumpy trail.

He dismounted, expecting to see another park user and planning to tell the dogs to heel. Then he saw the bear.

"He was too close and too quick. I had no chance to decide what to do," said Blasioli, a Boeing Co. software developer who lives in of Port Orchard. "It's surreal. You don't understand this is happening. At one point I thought, 'This is it, I'm going to die.'"

Blasioli said the bear knocked him backward into the brush and bit into the helmet, ripping out a chunk of foam along with the cartilage of his right ear and then tearing some muscle from his arm and shoulder as he kicked and tried to fight back.

"At one point, he bit my side and did one of those bite and jiggle things," he said. "I thought, 'There goes a bunch of meat there.'"

Blasioli said he prayed for his life and almost immediately the bear ran away.

"I don't remember what I said exactly, but I asked God, 'I don't want to die today,'" he said.

Blasioli then managed to get back onto his bike and pedaled back to the trailhead, where he met two people who called for help. He spent the next week at St. Joseph Medical Center in Tacoma.

In the attack, the bear "bit into my shoulder and biceps, so it's been all sewn back up together again, so I haven't been able to move my arm up and down for a while—and I still can't," he told CNN. "Then he bit on my chest a few times and I had stitches there. He scratched my face and he almost got my neck ... but it didn't go through and get any vital veins.

"Then, you know, of course, he got my ear. My back is still all scratched up. He bit into my leg and I had teeth marks in each arm that have now scabbed over, so I've healed up pretty fast."

He has feeling in his left arm, but his biceps and triceps were sewn together to recreate the muscle, and doctors are unsure how much movement he will regain.

He said it will likely be some time before he resumes his regular bicycle rides in the park—and when he does he plans to ride with a partner.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Agreed HGJ.

BTW I've seen a black bear up close in a city environment havign it literally run across a street directly in front of my truck as I was driving.
    From the rear and 3/4 they look like a big dog but from the side and front it become obvious it's no dog and that loping run they have makes it look like it's injured even as it can (and in my case was) run scary fast. The one I saw was running fast as a dog at top speed in so far as ground covered against time but looking at the animal itself it looks like it's moving alot slower again due to how it runs.

That guy is fortunate.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Bear attacks are extremely rare, but they get a lot of attention. Where I live in Western Colorado, we have had an average of 55-60 sighting per week in and around town this year. This is much more than usual – I personally have seen bears seven times this season, and I haven’t been in town two of the months. The increased interaction is being attributed to late freezes that wiped out much of the acorn crop. Aggressive behavior by black bears is really rare, though. (There was a fatal predatory black bear attack on a child not too far from here in central Utah this year.)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...-attacks_x.htm - 35k -

“Attacks by bears are still rare. In the past century, there have been only 12 fatal bear attacks in the contiguous USA, according to the North American Bear Center in Ely, Minn. There were 45 fatal attacks in Alaska and Canada in the same period.
    That's not very many considering that there are 750,000 black bears in North America, says Lynn Rogers, the center's director. "One in a million becomes a killer," he says.”

The easiest way to die in the outdoors is from being stung:

http://www.bugbog.com/travel_safety/...ee_stings.html

In 1989 32 people in the southern US died from fire ant stings [ants sting 9 million Americans a year], while wasps, yellow jackets and bees and rack up to 100 deaths a year in the USA.

.44 probably not much good against the bees.....

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    "What the???" RAAAHHHOOORRRRR! "O - $!*&".
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Administrator
    Well, I'm just best guessing that the whole bunch of forest fires that the U.S. has suffered from in recent past years has put a super dent in prime bear habitat. So contact with humans will likely stay on the increase.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

...and those black bears are the friendly little trail stoppers...try a Grizzly in Alaska...now there the bear WILL eat you and then ask for an extra order of fries with his order...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Well, in this instance a handy can of high quality bear spray would probably really have helped this guy out.
    Folks want to go where the beasties live but, refuse to take along even minimal common sense personal protection.
    Good thing he was wearing a helmet or he would have been the new Phantom Of The Opera and missing half his face.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The Montana State Department of Fish and Wildlife is advising golfers to
    take extra precautions and be on the alert for bears while playing on
    Gallatin, Helena, and Lewis and Clark National Forests Golf Courses.

They advise golfers to wear noise-producing devices such as little bells on
    their clothing to alert, but not to startle the bears unexpectedly.

They also advise you to carry pepper spray in the case of an encounter with
    a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch for signs of bear activity.

Golfers should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and
    grizzly bear droppings on the golf course.

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel
    fur.

Grizzly bear droppings have bells in them and smell like pepper spray.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I just had a black run by me in my yard 10' away a couple of weeks ago. When I am outside I try to have bearspray with me, when my daughter plays outside I have my 1911 on me.

Out West, there's an old joke about the tree huggers who wear bells and carry "bear spray":

"It's easy to recognize bear scat in the woods. If it smells like pepper spray and has little silver bells in it, it's bear scat"........
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    The Montana State Department of Fish and Wildlife is advising golfers to
    take extra precautions and be on the alert for bears while playing on
    Gallatin, Helena, and Lewis and Clark National Forests Golf Courses.

They advise golfers to wear noise-producing devices such as little bells on
    their clothing to alert, but not to startle the bears unexpectedly.

They also advise you to carry pepper spray in the case of an encounter with
    a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch for signs of bear activity.

Golfers should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and
    grizzly bear droppings on the golf course.

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel
    fur.

Grizzly bear droppings have bells in them and smell like pepper spray.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Lived in colorado all my life , seen a few bears out in the country they own . I never been attacked yet , but i dont bait myself or a campsight . Back before surgery fixed " that time " for momma , she did not camp when she had influence of the moon . Same for the Daughter . Keep a clean camp in both person and effects and large predators wont mess with you unless and untill you mess with them .. My mountain pistol is my normal 9mm supplemented by a smith or ruger .22 lr to shoot small game with .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    I remember seeing one of these "funny videos" and a small black bear was in someones backyard and the family cat was nearby. The cat chased the bear back into the woods! Don't mess with a mama cat huh?

I don't know too much about bears, though, surprisingly we do have a few black bears down here. I saw some photos not too long ago, I think they were from Alaska and I think it was a grizzly bear attack. The photos of the deceased victim were unpleasant and sobering.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I don't know too much about bears, though,
    That sir is the most honest and thought provoking statement i have seen on this thread . I dammed sure dont know enough about them , and my gestimate is not many on this board do either . I know my comfort level , and abide by it unless and until proven different by taking some simple steps bears are less of a worry than other campers to me .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    I am willing to bet that somehow, he managed to get himself between mama and her cubs. Most black bears are chickens when they see humans. They turn tail and haul it out of the area. Unless you get between mama and the cubs. The mama thinks you are a threat to the cubs. Or something was physically wrong with the bear. As for grizzleys, all bets are off. They are just plain mean.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links