Went to the gun store yesterday - Page 2

Went to the gun store yesterday

This is a discussion on Went to the gun store yesterday within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by CWOUSCG Any time I've priced a gun in Bass Pro they're full retail. Cabelas isn't much better. YMMV...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Went to the gun store yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    Any time I've priced a gun in Bass Pro they're full retail. Cabelas isn't much better. YMMV
    Went to the gun store yesterday-image.jpg
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    Any time I've priced a gun in Bass Pro they're full retail. Cabelas isn't much better. YMMV
    I went to Bass Pro last weekend to see the difference and feel of the 45 Shield and the new Ruger American. I conquer that their firearms are wayyyy overpriced. Like $530 for the G43, $340 or $350 for the Taurus G2, $470 for the Shield, etc, etc. The thing that gets me is that they were very busy and many customers are always buying from them every time I go there. I guess they have $100s to throw away.
    Last edited by TeflonDon; March 18th, 2017 at 02:27 AM. Reason: correct price
    CWOUSCG likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DHart's Avatar
    I give little credence to the opinions of most gun shop sales people. Many of them are far less knowledgeable than I am and some of the ones that are knowledgeable, though not all, are inclined to steer you toward what they want/need to sell.

You really need to do your own homework regarding caliber, brands, models, sizes, features, buyer feedback, and pricing... then seek out your select models to handle in person and, if possible, rent-to-fire.

If you are relatively savvy regarding firearms, you're best off going with your own instincts, rather than trusting in what gun shop sales people say. To that end, I'm nearly as comfortable buying online as I am buying in a gun shop.

For example.. most gun shop people will steer you toward 9mm. They say that most people are buying 9mm now. And that is, in part, true due to their steering uncertain novice buyers that direction. I suspect that a great many buyers are strongly swayed by sales people steering them this way or that.

I would never let a gun shop sales person direct my choice of caliber, nor of pistol. There is just too much bias introduced on their part.
    Rhinoman likes this.
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I give little credence to the opinions of most gun shop sales people. Many of them are far less knowledgeable than I am and some of the ones that are knowledgeable, though not all, are inclined to steer you toward what they want/need to sell.

You really need to do your own homework regarding caliber, brands, models, sizes, features, buyer feedback, and pricing... then seek out your select models to handle in person and, if possible, rent-to-fire.

If you are relatively savvy regarding firearms, you're best off going with your own instincts, rather than trusting in what gun shop sales people say. To that end, I'm nearly as comfortable buying online as I am buying in a gun shop.

For example.. most gun shop people will steer you toward 9mm. They say that most people are buying 9mm now. And that is, in part, true due to their steering uncertain novice buyers that direction. I suspect that a great many buyers are strongly swayed by sales people steering them this way or that.

I would never let a gun shop sales person direct my choice of caliber, nor of pistol. There is just too much bias introduced on their part.
    I agree. 40s&w would be king of the hill if not for the gun shop clerks mentioning 9mm ammo is cheaper, has less recoil,has more capacity, and is more plentiful. I kid DHart

A good friend of mine owns a gun shop 3 miles from my house, needless to say I am there often. I love the guys that come in and try to impress there friends with there gun knowledge. Examples: These 911's are nice guns especially in .357 magnum. Do you have the Mossberg 870 semi-auto in stock. Those 7 shot snub nose revolvers in .380 special are nice. No joke it actually happened the other day. It's not always the gun shop employees that are clueless.
    Rhinoman and Instymp like this.

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    I went to Bass Pro last weekend to see the difference and feel of the 45 Shield and the new Ruger American. I conquer that their firearms are wayyyy overpriced. Like $530 for the G43, $340 or $350 for the Taurus G2, $470 for the Shield, etc, etc. The thing that gets me is that they were very busy and many customers are always buying from them every time I go there. I guess they have $100s to throw away.
    For a big box store out in OR I used to shop at Sportsman's Warehouse. They had decent prices but I did my major buys from local mom-n-pops.

Sister says "There are Angels walking among us. If they're mean they're not Angels and you can shoot them"

Black Rifles Matter

I just bought my new Sig 320 RX at the new Cabela's that opened about 35 miles from here. It was the first firearm I have ever purchased in a big box store. I was pleasantly surprised. The staff was very knowledgeable, but not much knowledge was needed as I came there looking for that gun, since it not widely available outside of Cabela's. The price was $750, due to a $50 off price for the grand opening. I was blown away by the wide range of firearms they had, both on the counter and in the gun library.

This was the first Cabela's I ever went to, I would go back, but generally I shop online and do the FFL transfer at a wonderful local store "The Gun Dude". He is a vet and runs the shop with his girlfriend and a couple of other vets. He does transfers for $25. Before I did my first transfer with him, I asked him if he wanted to just sell me the gun I was looking for. He said no, because he know that he could never offer me a price that was close to what I could find online and that since his FFL process was so automated, it was almost all margin to him. This guy is a very smart businessman, having developed a marketing segmentation strategy for two very ill-served segments of shooters.

He set up shop inside the Beltway in Falls Church Virginia, but has cornered that market on introducing women and beginners to shooting. He has an espresso bar and living room furniture on the shop and the atmosphere is like a Starbucks with guns. He even introduced his own line of coffee. He provides all sorts of training geared to introduce people to firearms and CCW. At the same time, with his friendly atmosphere and easy, online $25 transfers, he has many of the local gun nuts doing all of their transfers there. Most of the folks who work there are experienced shooters, but I have never heard them say anything stupid or insulting to those who know less.

The kicker to this tale is that the day after the Orlando night club shooting, I was waiting to pick up a transfer and sitting next to me on the sofa was the butchiest lifer I ever saw. She was talking to the owner about setting up a class to be run under the aegis of both the Gun Dude and the Pink Pistols to introduce the local gay community to firearms and self defense. If that is not a welcoming LGS, I don't know what is.

I am about to sell one of my guns and he will get the business if he wants it.
    Rock and Glock and Rhinoman like this.

Many gun buyers are pretty clueless and often, salespeople steer them with their own personal biases. I see that happening a lot in gun shops. True with other types of products, as well.
    Rhinoman likes this.
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    I agree. 40s&w would be king of the hill if not for the gun shop clerks mentioning 9mm ammo is cheaper, has less recoil,has more capacity, and is more plentiful. I kid DHart
    You carry yourself away with exaggeration. Fact is, a lot of people are steered to 9mm by gun shop salespeople. That doesn't mean it is a bad choice - especially for newbies. .40S&W is a great choice, as is .45auto, but not necessarily the best choice for everyone.
    TeflonDon and Rhinoman like this.

You carry yourself away with exaggeration. Fact is, a lot of people are steered to 9mm by gun shop salespeople. That doesn't mean it is a bad choice - especially for newbies. .40S&W is a great choice, as is .45auto, but not necessarily the best choice for everyone.
    I know DHart just teasing.
    DHart and Rhinoman like this.

Senior Member Array 2ndunamended's Avatar
    The average gun salesman is a person interested in guns, but they are often not that knowledgeable nor are they good salespeople. You'll run into a gem once in awhile who listens to your needs, guides you through your options, explaining why along the way. Often, as gun folks, we like the conversations that surround guns and find we may ask a question just for the sake of conversation. Do that in a gun shop at the sales counter and you'll regret it 9 out of 10 times.

But as stated, the problem is that many folks coming in to buy guns aren't that knowledgable either. Some may be experts in their own mind but many come in asking for a gun that fits 100 different scenarios ("I need it to be ultra concealable, high capacity and a bear stopper..."). It's like going into a wine shop and asking for the best bottle of wine.

The astute buyer, like the OP here, knows what criteria they are looking to satisfy and just wants to compare options within the same category.
    Rhinoman likes this.
    If you're offended by anything I say, I'm offended that you are such a sissy.

NRA Life Member
    Gun Owners of America Member
    NRA certified Range Safety Officer

Many gun buyers are pretty clueless and often, salespeople steer them with their own personal biases. I see that happening a lot in gun shops. True with other types of products, as well.
    Same in tackle shops!

Which ever way the wind blows.
    Rhinoman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    Same reason I stay away from:

1. boat shows
    2. gun shows
    3. auto shows
    4. motorcycle dealers
    And
    Candy stores
    Doughnut shops
    & &%^$. was going to say bordellos but I won't.
    I am lucky to have a local gun shop that is competitive in pricing but not the cheapest, compared to Internet et all.
    But.. when something is wrong or I have a question, he & her are there for me.
    Been doing business with them for 28+ years, never regret a minute, even if I could save $50.00 or whatever elsewhere.
    Rhinoman likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Salespeople (ALL salespeople) should learn to first listen & THEN talk. (Most husbands already know this

There's a great book on selling: Stop Selling, Start Listening that stresses sales is about listening and asking questions. Rudimentary for anyone in sales.

I bet you'll like the Glock. You know, you can shoot it underwater too. Even when it's full of mud and rocks and stuff.

My favorite is Kittery Trading Post, and Class3NH. He knows a wee bit, and asks a lot of questions. He has also helped me purchase online, and he did the due diligence for me.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 20th, 2017 at 09:24 AM.
    bklynboy, Rhinoman and Instymp like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Albert Camus

I feel so lucky, even in the bluest of blue states we have at least 3 top notch gun shops that I can think of that are little ma-pa shops
    with great pricing and very knowledgable staff.
    I would never buy a firearm at Cabela's or Bass Pro, it's too bad too the Bass pro we have at Patriot Place (yes the patriots)
    always have quite a nice selection to choose from ,but their prices are usually 15-20% higher than the privately owned shops I frequent.
    Rhinoman likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links