Went to the gun store yesterday - Page 3

Went to the gun store yesterday

This is a discussion on Went to the gun store yesterday within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Went to a Gander Mountain today and Jeez!!! Every gun was priced at $100-$200 or more over the "going rate"! Most of their used guns ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Went to the gun store yesterday

VIP Member
    Went to a Gander Mountain today and Jeez!!! Every gun was priced at $100-$200 or more over the "going rate"! Most of their used guns were priced higher than the same gun is available brand new elsewhere. Ammo was just as bad, or worse, with .38 Special Cowboy Action LFP's at $40 a box, and some .380 JHP at over $1 a round!

I don't see how they sell anything! No wonder they're bankrupt!
    TeflonDon and RKflorida like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Believe it or not, people are actually paying those prices.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    That's a scary thought!

Do you suppose it has something to do with Common Core Math?
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I give little credence to the opinions of most gun shop sales people. Many of them are far less knowledgeable than I am and some of the ones that are knowledgeable, though not all, are inclined to steer you toward what they want/need to sell.

You really need to do your own homework regarding caliber, brands, models, sizes, features, buyer feedback, and pricing... then seek out your select models to handle in person and, if possible, rent-to-fire.

If you are relatively savvy regarding firearms, you're best off going with your own instincts, rather than trusting in what gun shop sales people say. To that end, I'm nearly as comfortable buying online as I am buying in a gun shop.

For example.. most gun shop people will steer you toward 9mm. They say that most people are buying 9mm now. And that is, in part, true due to their steering uncertain novice buyers that direction. I suspect that a great many buyers are strongly swayed by sales people steering them this way or that.

I would never let a gun shop sales person direct my choice of caliber, nor of pistol. There is just too much bias introduced on their part.
    I went into a gun store several years ago and the salesman couldn't have been much over 21 years old. He was talking to a couple at the counter and he told them that they needed to use a 380 for self defense because the 9mm was way overpowered and would shoot through walls and kill people in neighboring counties. I looked in the display case and all they had was a couple of P3ATs. They went out of business shortly after that. It's hard to stay in business around here if you don't carry a fairly large inventory. Most people don't want to order a gun they've never handled and pay full retail.
    DHart likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    There's a great book on selling: Stop Selling, Start Listening that stresses sales is about listening and asking questions. Rudimentary for anyone in sales.

I bet you'll like the Glock. You know, you can shoot it underwater too. Even when it's full of mud and rocks and stuff.

My favorite is Kittery Trading Post, and Class3NH. He knows a wee bit, and asks a lot of questions. He has also helped me purchase online, and he did the due diligence for me.
    I love the Kittery Trading Post. I make it a point to stop there whenever I'm going through Maine. Unfortunately, I can't buy a pistol there. Probably best because I would end up broke and stranded in Kittery selling pencils on the corner and trying to hitchhike home.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 20th, 2017 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Corrected name spelling
    Rock and Glock and CLASS3NH like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    Not much choice around here. We only have a few places to choose from and only two of them carry much inventory. Both charge full retail.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

Senior Moderator
    Unfortunately, I can't buy a pistol there.
    @CLASS3NH could always ship. He does facilitate FFL to FFL. He makes it too easy.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 20th, 2017 at 07:08 PM.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Albert Camus

Y'all would really, REALLY like Kentucky back country...garage sales. Guns are as plentiful as used Shop Vacs. Usually cleaner too! (AND without the paint splatter.)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Y'all would really, REALLY like Kentucky back country...garage sales. Guns are as plentiful as used Shop Vacs. Usually cleaner too! (AND without the paint splatter.)
    And I always thought that KY was good only for horses in the summer & Kentucky Bourbon Trail - Where the Spirit Leads You

Much more than that & Hot Brown sandwiches. I do love your state.
    jrobin3360 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoman View Post
    I love the Kittery Trading Post. I make it a point to stop there whenever I'm going through Maine. Unfortunately, I can't buy a pistol there. Probably best because I would end up broke and stranded in Kittery selling pencils on the corner and trying to hitchhike home.
    I can ship it to your LGS....... You can buy any rifle or shotgun at KTP. Do the paperwork, and walk out the door. OR mention you want to pick up the LONG GUN... and meet our Transfer driver in Portsmouth NH (4 Miles from KTP) and pick it up there. (since that it would be a NH SALE, there's no sales tax on that Paperwork as we have our NH FFL too )
    Easy Peasy stuff.....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Funny for the most part I've found the large box stores to be cheaper than the lgs. I've associated that with their ability to buy in quantitie.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

If a guy at a gun store who works there no less, lays down a loaded gun, I got a problem. If it's pointing it at me, I'm going to throw a bunch of expletives at him and walk out. What the hell!!

When did we become so complacent about idiots. These guys ruin the sport for all of us!

Ok - off my high horse. Sorry - it drives me nutts.

Hope you like your 42 as much as I do. Magguts gives you an extra round per mag if that's your thing. They have never caused any type of malfunction in my 42. I put big dots on mine too. Love em. Great little pistol - no recoil at all!

Congrats.
    Rhinoman likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Are you in the Purchase?

Sister says "There are Angels walking among us. If they're mean they're not Angels and you can shoot them"

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    Are you in the Purchase?
    AbsoLUTELY! God Almighty vacations here!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    AbsoLUTELY! God Almighty vacations here!
    Thought so. I used to live between Possum Trot and the Monkeys Eyebrow.
    ghost tracker likes this.

Sister says "There are Angels walking among us. If they're mean they're not Angels and you can shoot them"

Black Rifles Matter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links