Went to the gun store yesterday

This is a discussion on Went to the gun store yesterday within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I finally went to the gun store yesterday. I've been there three times in three years and every time I've walked out with a new ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Went to the gun store yesterday

I finally went to the gun store yesterday. I've been there three times in three years and every time I've walked out with a new pistol. That's why I don't go very often.

Anyway, the reason for the post is just to say that the quality of the advice you get at the gun store rivals that of advice you would get from the internet. I'm guessing that the guy behind the counter didn't have to pass a test or meet many qualifications to get there. My purpose for going to the gun store was to compare a Glock 42 with S&W Bodyguard. I have pretty big hands and wanted to see the two pistols side by side before deciding on which to buy. The first store I went to didn't have either one in stock. In fact, they only had three handguns in the whole store. The guy behind the counter laid a Kahr PM9 out on the counter and then proceeded to draw his own Glock 27 with his finger on the trigger and laid it down on the counter with the muzzle pointed directly at my belly. He then went on to explain that the Glock 27 was the same size as the Glock 42 and that the Kahr was superior to the Glock or Bodyguard. I'm assuming that the reason that he felt that the Kahr was superior was because he had one in stock that he couldn't sell. I left without buying anything from him.

I then went to another, larger store. The guy behind the counter treated me like I was getting my first firearm and it got my hackles up a little. I'm sure they get a lot first-time buyers in there, but he was holding my CCW and retired military ID in his hand when he was explaining the difference between a hollow-point and a FMJ round.

I ended up buying the Glock 42 because I just can't get a grip on the bodyguard. I think it's a sharp looking pistol, but every time I picked it up I ended up fumbling around trying to get it to fit my hand. I doubt I could get a consistent grip on it, especially when under stress. The little bit of extra length in the Glock grip seemed to make a world of difference to me.

I was going to head to the range after work today, but threw my back out trying to put my pants on this morning. It will probably be a week before I can get out there. It's almost an hour away.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

VIP Member
    When I want to visit a gun counter without buying anything, I just go to Rural King or Cabelas.
    "I'm set up to play a game right now. However, I doubt most people would want to get into a gun fight with me."

Rob Leatham

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    When I want to visit a gun counter without buying anything, I just go to Rural King or Cabelas.
    There's a Bass Pro Shop located about 60 miles from here. I wish they would open a store like Cabelas here. I've paid full retail for the last couple of guns I've purchased here in town.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

VIP Member
    The local gun shop I have bought a lot of guns from now has someone follow you around. Even when I tell them I'm just looking. Most of them are 20 years old and don't know that much guns. I can say one thing they will not offer advice. I guess they are there just to clear and hand you the gun you want to look at. Rhinoman I think I would have walked out of the first store. BassPro is high here unless its on sale and its then about the same price as the LGS. I was in the Orlando BassPro and asked about a gun and it was $200 higher.
    Rhinoman and OD* like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoman View Post
    I finally went to the gun store yesterday. I've been there three times in three years and every time I've walked out with a new pistol. That's why I don't go very often.

Anyway, the reason for the post is just to say that the quality of the advice you get at the gun store rivals that of advice you would get from the internet. I'm guessing that the guy behind the counter didn't have to pass a test or meet many qualifications to get there. My purpose for going to the gun store was to compare a Glock 42 with S&W Bodyguard. I have pretty big hands and wanted to see the two pistols side by side before deciding on which to buy. The first store I went to didn't have either one in stock. In fact, they only had three handguns in the whole store. The guy behind the counter laid a Kahr PM9 out on the counter and then proceeded to draw his own Glock 27 with his finger on the trigger and laid it down on the counter with the muzzle pointed directly at my belly. He then went on to explain that the Glock 27 was the same size as the Glock 42 and that the Kahr was superior to the Glock or Bodyguard. I'm assuming that the reason that he felt that the Kahr was superior was because he had one in stock that he couldn't sell. I left without buying anything from him.

I then went to another, larger store. The guy behind the counter treated me like I was getting my first firearm and it got my hackles up a little. I'm sure they get a lot first-time buyers in there, but he was holding my CCW and retired military ID in his hand when he was explaining the difference between a hollow-point and a FMJ round.

I ended up buying the Glock 42 because I just can't get a grip on the bodyguard. I think it's a sharp looking pistol, but every time I picked it up I ended up fumbling around trying to get it to fit my hand. I doubt I could get a consistent grip on it, especially when under stress. The little bit of extra length in the Glock grip seemed to make a world of difference to me.

I was going to head to the range after work today, but threw my back out trying to put my pants on this morning. It will probably be a week before I can get out there. It's almost an hour away.
    It's not always that a sales person doesn't know guns. It is more about soft selling in large retail stores. They want you to wander and buy things you might not have gone to the store for. As for counter sales, all the sales people need to know is what guns have higher margins. Glocks while popular are not discounted much by distributors. There is a minimum price they can be sold for but no maximum. The larger stores pay about the same from distributors as small stores. The larger stores have higher operating overhead than smaller stores. They might be able to sell more volume at lower prices but most don't unless they run a sale.
    Mike1956 and Rhinoman like this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Salespeople (ALL salespeople) should learn to first listen & THEN talk. (Most husbands already know this ).
    The "Show-up-and Throw-up" sales technique went out of style with...the polyester Leisure Suit.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Most of the Local gun shops here are now showing cash prices on the guns. They hit you with the 3% if you use the credit card or debit card. I have been able to get them a little under cash price once in a while.
    Rhinoman and kmanick like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

I good gun shop run by gun guys is a very nice thing. Luckily I have one of those. Can't say I've ever heard those guys say anything dumb. Some of the customers though.......
    Gabill, Kennfd, ETXhiker and 3 others like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member
    I was going to head to the range after work today, but threw my back out trying to put my pants on this morning.
    Getting old ain't for wussies :) Back, shoulders...it ALL hurts!

You'll like the 42. I had one for awhile. I'll suggest factory ammo to break it in. Mine didn't like anything "underpowered" - at least at first.

Ended up selling it b/c the wife preferred a revolver for EDC (not b/c of any deficiency with the gun). It is actually my favorite of the glocks I've owned. Right size / soft shooting / accurate. But when the wife said I want a J frame - well I smiled and got her one

Let us know how it shoots - and post a photo or its not real life.
    Rhinoman and RKflorida like this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

I think part of the problem might be that "guns" is a pretty big topic. A hunter who works in a gun store might give great advice on hunting rifles, but know zippo about defensive handguns besides what he remembers the other clerks saying. My interest in guns is mostly for protection against bad people, and if I worked at a gun store I could talk someone's ear off about autos v revolvers and subcompacts v compacts and HST vs Critical Duty; but if they wanted a rifle for a bear hunt I'd probably mumble something about 45-70 and point towards the lever guns.

Fortunately we have the Interwebz these days, so I'm more likely to consult my phone about a purchase than a sales clerk.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

VIP Member
    Rhinoman, I do believe you will be extremely happy with your G42. Like most of my other Glocks, it runs best on ammo that is loaded a wee bit hot. Not +P, but not light loads like Privi Partisan which will NOT work at all. And not anything labeled sub sonic. My Glocks like Sellier & Bellot best, but will happily run all day on many other decent brands, even Winchester White Box.

For range use I always use FMJ, with a very occasional mag or two of defense hollow points to keep checking that all is well. There might be one or two brands of hollow points that make your 42 balk. Don't buy more than one box of any brand at first until you find out which is the preferred HP brands.

Right out of the box my first G42 was reliably dead on center at 7 yards, and close to that at 10 yards.

I'm not sure how much of your own maintenance you do, but the G42 parts fit together a little differently from the way the big sisters' do. Gramps did a 25 cent trigger job on mine and put one part back wrong. Yeah, the gun didn't much work until we took it in to a gun smith who immediately saw the problem.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I worked in a number of GS through out the years. Let me tell you there is a large learning curve. I worked my first one when I was 18, I remember telling people about hydrashoks and the post in the middle and that if the post in the middle hit soft tissue it was hit it was "all over". I remember telling people about the mythical "Stopping Power" and that a .45 could move a 500 pound wall, and to load up their HD shotguns with #8 because it would rip somebodies face clean off. I've now been in the firearms industry for almost 20 years, and I look back saying crap like that boy was I dumb/naive. The last shop I worked in I came up with some pretty simple sales strategy, focused more on basic sales practices like Benefits and needs vs. features.

Typical conversation:

I would like a gun?

Me: What do you need it for? Self defense, target shooting, competition, hunting, other.

Then I would show them things based on their answer, I wouldn't say a word unless they asked a question. If they asked my opinion, I would tell them what I have personally used and my experience, and the reason I changed or stuck with a platform. The only time I would do or say anything is if they were being unsafe with it.

When they said "I'll take it" I would ask them if they had shot it before? If they said "No", then I would offer them the same gun as a rental first, they pay for the ammo, and rental fee, if they ended up buying it then I would waive the cost of the rental.

I remember one time a guy came in with his wife/gf and said he was buying her a gun, I said thank I turned to her stopped talking to him completely. He got mad and thought I was hitting on her.
    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Assistant Instructor @ http://www.green-ops.com/ Located in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area "Why should your training be any less special?"

I own several glocks, so I'm somewhat familiar with them and I'm use to the trigger. As soon as I mentioned Glocks, the second sales clerk started telling about how you could throw them in the mud and fire them underwater. I'm trying to figure out a self defense scenario where I can use that and a tactical backflip.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

I finally went to the gun store yesterday. I've been there three times in three years and every time I've walked out with a new pistol. .
    Same reason I stay away from:

1. boat shows
    2. gun shows
    3. auto shows
    4. motorcycle dealers
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    There's a Bass Pro Shop located about 60 miles from here. I wish they would open a store like Cabelas here. I've paid full retail for the last couple of guns I've purchased here in town.
    Any time I've priced a gun in Bass Pro they're full retail. Cabelas isn't much better. YMMV
    ETXhiker, Gabill and Rhinoman like this.

Sister says "There are Angels walking among us. If they're mean they're not Angels and you can shoot them"

Black Rifles Matter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links