Gun Owner Receives Apology From Police Chief: MERGED

This is a discussion on Gun Owner Receives Apology From Police Chief: MERGED within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Interesting story of Tennessee citizen roughed up by Knoxville cop and resulting disciplinary action. http://www.coltcco.com/?p=187...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gun Owner Receives Apology From Police Chief: MERGED

Interesting story of Tennessee citizen roughed up by Knoxville cop and resulting disciplinary action.
    http://www.coltcco.com/?p=187
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Senior Moderator
    I would like to know how the reprimand was worded.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    The officer was in the wrong, but saying he was roughed up is incorrect. He was not hurt in any way.

For what it is worth, carrying an open firearm in Wal Mart is against their policy and the store may have been called the police to report a man with an open gun which brought this situation about.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Unfortunate experience but handled very professionally by the citizen!

I also commend the department for taking decisive action against this rogue officer.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    The officer was in the wrong, but saying he was roughed up is incorrect. He was not hurt in any way.

For what it is worth, carrying an open firearm in Wal Mart is against their policy and the store may have been called the police to report a man with an open gun which brought this situation about.

Unncesserary(sp) and unlawful harrassment and ignorance of the law on behaf of the officer. Besides if the walmart wasn't posted or the citizen wasnot asked to leave, it doesn't matter what their 'policy' is. At least no in VA,only after refusing to leave could you be charged with trespassing. That being said I've yet to hear an OFFICIAL word from walmart regarding OC, as I've OCed MANY,many times in different walmarts, sometimes past uniformed gaurds,and officers.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post

Echo,

I have to disagree with you on this one. The officer overstepped the line on this one. He unlawfully detained and searched this man. There is no way around it or to accept it. The officer was in the wrong.

If I was pressed into a concrete wall for now reason I would also have to use there term of being roughed up.

Let's say a customer or Walmart did call the police. It is the job of the police to ensure that the customer did leave, but it is also the job of the police to notify the caller that that customer was legal.

I can't say I fully approve of OC but if it is legal the officers need to stand up for citizens that are following the law and inform those that phone calls like this in that they can be concerned, but it is not against the law.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

VIP Member
    If you want official word from Wal Mart just get in touch with them. They don't hide their opinion at all. You may carry concealed if your state allows you to carry concealed but open carry is restricted to LEO.

You are correct that if they didn't tell him to leave it wasn't a violation of the law. That doesn't mean that the CSM didn't call the police- which would explain why they were waiting by the door for him to walk by.

As for unnecessary and unlawful harassment- I wouldn't argue too hard about that. I never said the man wasn't harassed, but he was not roughed up. That makes it sound as if he was assaulted by the officer, which he was not.
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Unncesserary(sp) and unlawful harrassment and ignorance of the law on behaf of the officer. Besides if the walmart wasn't posted or the citizen wasnot asked to leave, it doesn't matter what their 'policy' is. At least no in VA,only after refusing to leave could you be charged with trespassing. That being said I've yet to hear an OFFICIAL word from walmart regarding OC, as I've OCed MANY,many times in different walmarts, sometimes past uniformed gaurds,and officers.
    Right, but don't forget, we're still in VA where we're still free...sort of.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    I missed something- Ghettokracker said he carried in Wal Mart past uniformed guards. I've never seen a Wal Mart that had uniformed guards. I'm guessing that the neighborhood that Wal Mart is in may not be the greatest. Either way, it was a surprise.
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I was at Coal Creek Armory (where the guy works) 2 days ago - heck I took the class that he spoke about a few weeks ago. Next time i go there, I'm going to ask how things went.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    interesting read. I think the citizen in this case did everything right, including following up with IA. A public apology from the police chief and mandatory training for all of their officers would be enough for me. I wouldn't want to get the officer fired over the incident. Now, had he actually fabricated charges against the guy, that's grounds for much stiffer action.

The point being if Walmart is not posted then I really don't care what their policy is. They are not notifying me of the policy "BY LAW."

Sure it is their right to ask me to leave their store, but to have an officer detain me by force and search me is not right.

Now my question to you Echo is if a civilian took the exact same actions on a LEO do you think he should be arrested for assaulting an officer?

If the answer is yes, then the same charges should be brought up on the LEO.

Websters definition of assault is:
    1 a : a violent physical or verbal attack b : a military attack usually involving direct combat with enemy forces c : a concerted effort (as to reach a goal or defeat an adversary)
    2 a : a threat or attempt to inflict offensive physical contact or bodily harm on a person (as by lifting a fist in a threatening manner) that puts the person in immediate danger of or in apprehension of such harm or contact

I get frustrated when people stand up for others because of profession. ALL PEOPLE should be held to the same standards and laws!

Again this is not a LEO vs. Civilian thing. This is about an individual that did wrong, but is being given a pass on it because he is a LEO. It is an individual thing not a group thing.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

That makes it sound as if he was assaulted by the officer, which he was not.
    He was assaulted by the officer, if it happened the way it was written. Anytime you touch someone without their consent, be it implied or verbal, you are committing assault.

There are times when you are allowed to commit crimes and it is "excused". Technically, driving over the speed limit is illegal, but Emergency Service Vehicles are allowed to exceed the speed limit, in a "reasonable" manner to get to the emergency in a timely manner. Do you get my point? It's the "doctrine of competing harms". Since this officer was acting outside the scope of his employment, and against Departmental Policy, he committed assault, if he touched the complaintant.

I am not a lawyer, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn last night. I am however an LEO. I am not condoning what the officer did, but I'm not castigating him for it either. As far as a "reprimand" goes. If I receive a "reprimand" it stays in my file for 18 months and I am ineligible for promotions or transfers during that 18 months. Each department/agency is different in that regard.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I am not a lawyer, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn last night. I am however an LEO.
    But if you would have stayed at a Holiday Inn, then you could/would have had the final say in this.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor

As long as I wasn't physically injured I suspect I'd be ok with the letter he got back. They offered an apology and most importantly refreshed/updated training for the officers. That has worked in the past at least here in VA. As long as they go through with the updates in training that should help curb any further future issues. Cudos to the OP for keeping his cool (assuming everything happened as written).

I suspect it's tough to keep your composure with someone yelling in your face and threatening jail time. Leo's are human like the rest of us and occasionally have a bad apple or two. Don't hold it against the entire department. They all do one heck of a job.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links