Our new guard dog

Our new guard dog

This is a discussion on Our new guard dog within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Meet Carolina. She's a 10-month old Pomeranian (trimmed for the summer) and we adopted her from my husband's boss. No, she won't get any froo-froo ...

Thread: Our new guard dog

VIP Member

Our new guard dog

Meet Carolina. She's a 10-month old Pomeranian (trimmed for the summer) and we adopted her from my husband's boss. No, she won't get any froo-froo clothes or pink studded collars.

We're hoping she'll make a good buddy for Tanner, our 24-pound mutt.

Tanner's ears are down because she heard the bath water running.

We've only had her for a couple days, and she's settling down and not freaking out over Tanner as much anymore. She's been very good with people touching her - not the "ankle-biter" stereotype. But being so small, she's terrified of other dogs.

I never thought I'd end up with a pocket-dog, but she seems to be a real sweetheart. She has eyes like an eagle, and has been able to spot people walking around the neighborhood long before I can. Her tiny little grrrrrr isn't very intimidating, though.

Tanner's been hiding her bully stick from Carolina.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Moderator
    I hope Tanner and her new sister get along fine
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    I'm sure the BG's will think twice before they tangle with that beast!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ya got a real cute BUD ("Back Up Dog") there I think!

Administrator
    Not even a Santa Suit at Christmas?

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    My mother-in-law likes to spoil Tanner since we haven't produced "real" grandchildren yet, so don't even give her the idea she can get clothes for Carolina. The most she may get will be snow booties to keep the road salt off her paws.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Betty, they deserve companions. Tanner seems to be adjusting well. Hope she and Carolina grow on each other. Our three are usually very good with each other. Occasionally there is some growling but that is as far as it get.

Every picture you post of Tanner shows another item of resemblance with Bing. Check the ears.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Isn't there a bumper sticker something like "Don't worry about the dog, but fear the owner"? I pity the BG that messes with this dog- my guess is Betty is not very forgiving!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    The two seem to be getting along well; Carolina likes to lick Tanner's nose. And yes, Tanner could be Bing's little sister. Those ears are great emotion meters.

Carolina runs like a crazed squirrel when another dog comes around. Last night an unleashed dog charged at her and I scooped her up before they met. The clueless owner said, "Oh, she won't hurt you."

It's not me I'm worried about. I've got a dog the size of a small rabbit. If she was attacked, I was going to see how far I could punt the neighbor's dog.

Lead Moderator
    Cool dog Betty. If she was a bit smaller , you could carry her in a ankle holster.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    But these lil guys are very well attuned to situation awareness, if she's really nervous, look around and see why or who is causing it.

Links