And this is how they propose to protect themselves!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on And this is how they propose to protect themselves!!!!!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?s=7122060 College classes normally require concentration and good study habits. But Marjorie Russell's Monday morning class lost all semblance of order for a moment. "Everyone's ...

Thread: And this is how they propose to protect themselves!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar

Angry And this is how they propose to protect themselves!!!!!!!!

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?s=7122060

College classes normally require concentration and good study habits. But Marjorie Russell's Monday morning class lost all semblance of order for a moment.

"Everyone's cell phone just starting buzzing. The teacher's cell phone actually went off and then she just said, 'It's ok, it's the emergency notification system,' and everyone went
    back to their quiz," says Russell, hanging out near the University Center after class.

William and Mary was testing its new emergency alert system, which sends out text messages, emails, voicemails, and changes the school website to give out safety information.

"It's disruptive, but I guess that's kind of the point," says Russell.

But only part of the system worked. Students and faculty got their emergency notifications shortly after school administrators activated the full scale test. But one of the campus wide sirens never sounded.

So tell me this, in the state that suffered the worst school shooting massacre in US history...WILL THEY EVER LEARN???????

They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

2. Remove Ads

Nope....
    the grass is greener over here....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Maybe they should all wrap themselves in their magic blankets which make them invisible to everyone.
    There’s an old and true, military motto, “Si vis pacem, para bellum” - “If you want peace, prepare for war.”

Atleast its a start...

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?s=7122060

College classes normally require concentration and good study habits. But Marjorie Russell's Monday morning class lost all semblance of order for a moment.

"Everyone's cell phone just starting buzzing. The teacher's cell phone actually went off and then she just said, 'It's ok, it's the emergency notification system,' and everyone went
    back to their quiz," says Russell, hanging out near the University Center after class.

William and Mary was testing its new emergency alert system, which sends out text messages, emails, voicemails, and changes the school website to give out safety information.

"It's disruptive, but I guess that's kind of the point," says Russell.

But only part of the system worked. Students and faculty got their emergency notifications shortly after school administrators activated the full scale test. But one of the campus wide sirens never sounded.

So tell me this, in the state that suffered the worst school shooting massacre in US history...WILL THEY EVER LEARN???????

Myself, I kinda wonder what they plan on doing when it actually IS an emergency during one of their "tests". I can't be the only one that thinks this way? It's the perfect time for an attack...no one worry, this is just a test......in comes shooter.....
    Damn fools
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Here's my opinion for whatever it's worth, but first for the record, let me state I'm 100% 2A and CCW. Also I'm opposed to sheep mentality, but I recognize there are sheep out there (I can't convert them all ). With that being said I don't really think that this emergency notification system is a bad idea, it surely beats nothing. It's a "head's up" notice, really no different than me whispering to my wife about the guy lurking in the shadows near the parking lot.

If we wait for a college to require CCW for all it's students......that'll be a LONG wait. A good endeavor to support is allowing CCW option for college campus......that's something to definitely support. Regardless whether I'm CCW or not, if I were a student/teacher I'd still like to have the notification so that I can heighten my situational awareness and not accidentally be blind-sided by walking into a lethal situation.

My kids have finished college now, and as a parent I'd feel better knowing that an emergency notification system was in place for them so they could avoid be blind-sided too. In concluding.......hopefully there will be more systems in place as well, and colleges aren't relying on just this ONE system. I do think that CCW option is good too, but it alone is not necessarily 100% effective. The best solution here is multiple systems in place.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

So, this message goes out to everyone that there is a shooting going on right now on campus. Now what? If you're in the same building as the shooter, you're still in big trouble because you're unarmed. The next logical step in securing classrooms MUST be to allow legally carrying students to carry on campus. just my .02
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

I can now imagine a future scenario: 30 students shot dead in some building. Then sometime later, the dead students' cell phones begin ringing in unison........

Yeah...I work at A university and just last week we had a construction crew sever a 6 inch gas line. Took 4 hours to get it turned off. I had to walk around helping to evacuate on of the 5 buildings to be evacuated, because nobody got a single emergency text message. Even the campus cops on scene couldn't figure out why we weren't paged.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    The time I fear most everyday, is when I head to school.. I hate not being armed it makes me feel so vulnerable.. I pay enough each year for my college education I should be able to protect my investments.. Since I started college (this is my last year) I have put well above 20 thousand into my education I should be able to protect that
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    its bad... i mean... it's terrible...

three years ago there was a big fight on my campus to get the COPs armed...

no one wanted the police to be carrying fire arms!!! :(

I couldn't believe it...

grrrrrrrrrrrrr it makes my blood boil, and i'm glad I'm out of school.... although i start back up again in january :(
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Links