Biker bugged by bugs!

Biker bugged by bugs!

This is a discussion on Biker bugged by bugs! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK fellow biker dudes ........ the bugs are in plenty! I have a large windshield and these suckers plaster themselves all over - plus mirrors, ...

Assistant Administrator

Biker bugged by bugs!

OK fellow biker dudes ........ the bugs are in plenty! I have a large windshield and these suckers plaster themselves all over - plus mirrors, lights and forks etc.

I have tried Bug Zapper - with some success - also use 409, Windex - all manner of things but - it is still frustrating as heck getting those splats softened to get em off. I think dried boogers would be easier!

Over many years and thousands of miles I do not feel I have yet found the ideal ''formula'' - so still looking. Thus - I am fishing in member's cerebral matter - any bright suggestions as to any ''magic'' mix that works for you?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

So P95Carry, you go in search of God's creatures and turn them into mush and then ask how to clean their poor bodies from your windscreen. Tsk Tsk Maybe try cutting a lemon in half and work it around the screen then let it set for awhile so the action of eating away at the poor bodies can take effect. Just a thought.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    Haha FortyFive - no - they actively seek out me and my bike!

Hmm - lemon - that wonderful multi-purpose citrus - could well work and will try next time I have one handy.
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    I don't have a bike, but my bugshield on my pickup collects bug splatters like crazy. I wipe it down with a thin layer of Armor All, so when the bugs splat, it's easier to rub them off since it's hard for them to stick on it in the first place. My bugshield is translucent blue, so I don't know what a thin layer of Armor All would look like on a clear windshield.

I heard a biker complaining about being nailed in the face by June bugs, which hit like rocks. Poor guy needs a helmet with a visor.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - had wondered about Armor All - I don't have any and use some stuff called ''Meguiars'' for detailing. I guess I am a tad cautious over what I apply to acrylic... but if that would help make em less darned adherent - could be good. Thx Betty.
    Chris - P95

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I either soap them up with Dawn straight out of the bottle or Simple Green, also degrease the engine and then go inside for a nice, ice cold Mescal.

When I'm done, I rinse off the bugs and polish the surface with toothpaste to bring back the nice clear surface.

I use something that doesn't yellow for lubricant. I've tried WD-40, CLP Breakfree, the whole magilla.

Something with carnuba is best. I'm into 'Pig Snot' right now.

And BTW, bikers don't *****. The bike is where the bugs are.

Assistant Administrator
    Ahhhh - the ''toothpaste trick'' - heard of it but never tried. I assume the abrasive aspect is so minimal that it just does a good polish job yeah?

Have tried Dawn before but problem sometimes is - it is hot enough out in the shop that whatever I put on might dry out too quick if left unattended.... thus looking for anything that acts quicker than what I use so far.

Thx.
    Chris - P95

Administrator

Car Or Truck Windshield ~ Try This

You can lay a couple of old totally saturated soapy water soaked bath towels on your windshield glass for about 10 or 15 minutes.
    That "Rehydrates" the yukky bug residue & then you can usually just remove the towels and hose their poor little schmooshed Insect Earthly Remains right off the glass.

Try some type of Citrus cleaner like "orange glow". There are a few brands out there but they are all basicly the same orange oil cleaner. That stuff takes splattered road tar right off with out hurting the paint. It might work with bug guts.

I just remembered a joke. What is the last thing that goes through a bugs mind when he hits your wind shield?

....His a$$.
    "EVERYONE is operating with only partial information" :hand27:
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

P95Carry,

Yes, toothpaste is a very slight abrasive.

The 'pre-soak' I use is almost of no consequence as long as it is something that starts to loosen the exoskeletons.

We have a place in Sun Prairie that sells stuff like this by the metric ton; it's called 'The Liquidators.' I have a tub of hand-cleaner that works better than anything I've ever tried. I've thought of shipping their products along with the knives.

'Nuther thought. Get to any spill, oil drip or bug insides as quickly as time permits. Fresh spills are easy to clean up.

Assistant Administrator
    Get to any spill, oil drip or bug insides as quickly as time permits. Fresh spills are easy to clean up.
    True enough Tourist - my prob' tho is sometimes - get back from a run when hot and humid and, shop is hot as hell inside - I am sweating and - last thing in mind is detailing bike, in shop or outside of it!! Oil spills - don't happen!

Someone else mentioned a trick which could work too - coupla well soapy wet (but not dripping) old towels - drape over windshield and leave 10 minutes. Could help rehydrate the ''globs''!
    Chris - P95

get back from a run when hot and humid
    You should have been here last week. Everything was sticky.

(I hope Bumper gives me this 'slide,' it's a funny story. It is so hot here that I'm changing T-shirts and washing jeans like a prison laundry. I'm out of underwear. I mean, I like commando as well as the next gear-jammer, but it's hot. I go down to Capital to buy a few sets of black Harley underwear, and Dara, the road clothes manager, sticks a 'theft tag' on the underwear as she checks me out. After I scope the bikes, I wander out towards the door, and the theft alarm goes off. Dara yells, "Grab him, he has stolen underwear." Great laughs. I informed Dara that bikers have a code, and that is "payback is a *****.")

I never tried the wet, soapy rag gig, at least not on bikes. It sounds like a good idea. My problem this week is getting the bike dirty. I need road time badly before some citizen gives me ample reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    I heard a biker complaining about being nailed in the face by June bugs, which hit like rocks. Poor guy needs a helmet with a visor.
    How true....a large South Texas June bug nailed be square in the forehead at about 80mph (me not the bug)...saw stars for sure!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Links