Have fun with this one: "Namibia: Anti-Gun Campaign Launched"

This is a discussion on Have fun with this one: "Namibia: Anti-Gun Campaign Launched" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://allafrica.com/stories/200709241077.html Namibia: Anti-Gun Campaign Launched 24 September 2007 Posted to the web 24 September 2007 Wezi Tjaronda Windhoek More than 20 institutions, mostly non-governmental organisations ...

Thread: Have fun with this one: "Namibia: Anti-Gun Campaign Launched"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Have fun with this one: "Namibia: Anti-Gun Campaign Launched"

http://allafrica.com/stories/200709241077.html

Namibia: Anti-Gun Campaign Launched

24 September 2007
    Posted to the web 24 September 2007

Wezi Tjaronda
    Windhoek

More than 20 institutions, mostly non-governmental organisations and a UN agency, have declared their premises gun-free zones as a way of discouraging gun ownership in Namibia.

The move is part of the Gun Free Namibia campaign to rid Namibia of guns, most of which are used to commit violent crimes.

A gun-free zone is a place where firearms are not allowed, therefore a safe place for people to be.

The country is also reviewing its firearms legislation that will regulate the civilian possession of firearms.

On March 9, 2001, Namibia and other SADC countries concerned with the manufacturing, stockpiling of, trafficking in, possession and use of firearms especially used in the commission of violent crimes and their contribution to the high level of instability, declared they would review national legislation to prohibit the unrestricted civilian possession of small arms and the total prohibition of the possession and use of light weapons by civilians.

Alwine Awases, the vice-chair of Nangof Trust, said an environment characterised by gun crime was a deterrent to development, foreign investment and tourism development.

She said when she launched the Gun Free Project Namibia on Friday: "Our past and present demand that to save our nation from the evils committed by guns, we need well-coordinated efforts."

"Recent incidences of violence in all its forms that have been reported continue to send shockwaves in our nation and call for drastic action to be taken," she said.

The Breaking the Wall of Silence (BWS) is coordinating the Gun Free Namibia Project on behalf of Nangof Trust.

The project will among other objectives lobby policy-makers for amendments to the Arms and Ammunition Act of 1996, campaign for the establishment of gun-free zones at public places, discourage private ownership of guns and highlight the impact of gun-related crimes in the country.

Statistics show that from 2002 to 2006 close to 900 crimes were committed with guns. In the same period 317 murders were committed with guns of which the majority of victims were female. BWS's Pauline Dempers said although it is said that Namibia needs guns because it is a hunting nation, "we are not only hunting wild animals but also women with these gun."

According to law, one person can have as many as four guns. Dempers said there were loopholes in the legislation concerning the handling of personal guns, number of guns, inheritance of guns and the review of licences.

"Guns are easily accessible and they are fuelling domestic violence," she said.

Namibia in 2004 established the Namibia National Focal Point of Small Arms Proliferation to implement the SADC Protocol on the Control of Firearms. The Focal Point is hosted by the Namibian Police and is chaired by Deputy Inspector General, Major General Tuwefeni M'lukeni, and comprises different role players such as civil society represented by the Nangof Trust, ministries of Defence, Security, Foreign Affairs, Environment and Tourism, Home Affairs and Immigration, Office of the President and the Polytechnic of Namibia.

However, limited funds have forced the project to restrict the awareness campaign to Windhoek.

Dempers said the campaign material needed to be translated into other vernacular languages for people to own the project.

The project started in South Africa and has now been replicated to Namibia, Malawi, and Lesotho. The Namibian project will run for six months.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    A gun-free zone is a place where firearms are not allowed, therefore a safe place for people to be.
    Yep - sure - we know just how effective that is!!

Seems they suffer the usual pie-in-sky thinking that ''getting guns off streets'' solves everything, but as ever forget about criminals who fall outside of these ineffective efforts.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

JD
    Administrator
    My favorite:

Guns fuel domestic violence? I'm pretty sure drunkeness, infidelity, and stupidity fuel domestic violence, but hey lets just burry our heads in the sand and blame the guns....

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I agree, Chris, we know exactly how that works out. When will they ever learn?
    If that's true I know a few homes, including our own, that the cops should be responding to every night.

We have two guns for every night of the week. We should be screaming and beating each other and probably both of us should be dead by now if "guns fuel domestic violence."

But surprise surprise, we have a pretty darned peaceful home. How do they explain that? How do they explain the fact that in MILLIONS of homes around America a gun is in it and there are still no complaints, or abuses in that home? It's ridiculous to draw such a conclusion, and completely erroneous.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    BWS's Pauline Dempers said although it is said that Namibia needs guns because it is a hunting nation, "we are not only hunting wild animals but also women with these gun."
    Arm the women. Teach them to shoot. See what happens then.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member
    She said when she launched the Gun Free Project Namibia on Friday: "Our past and present demand that to save our nation from the evils committed by guns, we need well-coordinated efforts."
    Silly me, and I thought evil mas done by men
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

A gun-free zone is a place where firearms are not allowed, therefore a place for people to be hacked apart by Africa's #2 assault weapon....
    There fixed that one for clarity...

Guns are easily accessible and they are fuelling domestic violence," she said.
    I think my guns are broke...haven't had the cops called to my house...ever
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    So guns cause domestic violence, they forgot to include that guns make a person gamble, drink, lie, cheat, and steal. How crazy can these people be? When exactly did we become a nation where everything is something else's fault? Doctors started saying to reason with your child that there must be something wrong in the way they were being raised. People started looking for reasons that their children misbehaved, the bulb never went on in some peoples head that children misbehave as a learning experience, and in some cases as a way to get some attention. People are always looking for boundaries, and if given none as a child, what do you expect from them as adults. Some people are so insulated from the real world and the people in it that they assume that all people see the world as they do. OK, I'm done and stepping down from the soapbox.

Hehehe, I might support it if it meant that these fellows would have their guns taken away from them:

http://www.t-six.com/showthread.php?t=27506

But alas I see that is Liberia, not Namibia.
    "For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie

Links