Militia Info?: MERGED

This is a discussion on Militia Info?: MERGED within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Many states have state defense forces, descended from the old state militias. Members aren't subject to federal call-up like members of the National Guard... except ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Militia Info?: MERGED

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Many states have state defense forces, descended from the old state militias. Members aren't subject to federal call-up like members of the National Guard... except as members of the Federal unorganized militia as described above.

Quote Originally Posted by alyehoud View Post
    Every State's militia was united into the National Guard. Try that.
    That's true, in 1916 <?> most states enrolled their militias into the National Guard in order to benefit from federal money and training. The US Army benefited from a standardization of training, equipment and qualifications. Previously the Regular Army was augmented by state militia units called up or volunteer units organized and officered by prominent citizens.

National Guard units often trace their linage back to state volunteer or militia units, some trace their lineage back farther than the founding of the US itself. There is a National guard unit in San Diego, CA which traces it's lineage back to militia company in the city under the Spanish.

Many states have reconstituted their militias. Under the Constitution are allowed to have their own militia organizations separate from the federal military. Historically militia units were organized around a community government at some level, a town, province or state. Legally, and IMO morally, independent militia units unaffiliated with some level of government are illegitimate.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I dot believe this to be correct.
    See post 16 by tanksoldier.

Also, I read that at the National Guard's website a few weeks back here

Here it is:
    About the National Guard

... The National Guard traces its history back to the earliest English colonies in North America. Responsible for their own defense, the colonists drew on English military tradition and organized their able-bodied male citizens into militias.

The colonial militias protected their fellow citizens from Indian attack, foreign invaders, and later helped to win the Revolutionary War. Following independence, the authors of the Constitution empowered Congress to "provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the militia." However, recognizing the militia's state role, the Founding Fathers reserved the appointment of officers and training of the militia to the states. Today's National Guard still remains a dual state-Federal force...

The only 'militia' I'm familiar with was a group in the thumb area of MI one would see in Caro's Big Boy on a Saturday afternoon. They turned out to be the group that McVeigh (the OK City, Murrah Bldg bomber) was associated with...fine bunchthey turned out to be...

Militia appears to have a very negative connotation...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by alyehoud View Post
    See post 16 by tanksoldier.

Also, I read that at the National Guard's website a few weeks back here

Here it is:
    I stand corrected.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I only found out by chance a few weeks ago - no big deal

I stand corrected.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Just to add a bit more information, here are two fairly active and organized state militia organizations:

Texas State Guard
    California State Military Reserve

There is also a national association.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Does anyone know of any organization along these lines in the Great state of Tennessee?

When I lived in Alabama I belonged to the Alabama State defense force. We were used to augment the gaurd in times of emergency such as hurricanes. We directed traffic, helped with supplies, communications and other functions.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Does anyone know of any organization along these lines in the Great state of Tennessee?

When I lived in Alabama I belonged to the Alabama State defense force. We were used to augment the gaurd in times of emergency such as hurricanes. We directed traffic, helped with supplies, communications and other functions.
    There sure is...
    http://www.tnsg.us/
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

Militias

Anybody here a member of a militia or know anything about them? I've always heard militias lumped into the same group as conspiracy theorists, anarchists, UFO nuts - all of those fringe groups. Lately I've been thinking that it might be worth considering. After all, our country earned its freedom through the efforts of local militias, and at one time it was a good thing. Now it seems kind of 'kooky' to join a militia.

After Katrina and 9/11, I think maybe it would be good if militias become more mainstream. An alternative to joining the National Guard - you could help out in times of crisis, but you don't have to worry about leaving your family and being shipped to Iraq. If I was single, I would have joined the Marines already, but I have a wife and baby and I feel I should stick around for them. A militia would be a good way to be able to help out here at home without abandoning the wife and boy.

I was looking at this site and these guys look interesting: http://www.missourimilitia.com/

Administrator
    There was a thread about them here not to long ago. Its been my experiance that militias are generally just what the stereo type says they are, but I am sure there are good ones out there. I like the idea, but not what they reall have become.
    "Just blame Sixto"

IIRC, every male age 18 and over in the Commonwealth of Virginia is a member of the State Militia.

While I have no first hand information on militias in general, I do think I saw those guys (missouri militia) on tv as part of a documentary on the discovery channel or one of those educational channels. They seemed very well trained. If I remember right, they could have helped out with many disasters, but whenever they showed up none of the "officials" wanted them around and sent them home. It's a shame militias are held in the same regard as UFO nuts and bigfoot hunters.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
    While I have no first hand information on militias in general, I do think I saw those guys (missouri militia) on tv as part of a documentary on the discovery channel or one of those educational channels. They seemed very well trained. If I remember right, they could have helped out with many disasters, but whenever they showed up none of the "officials" wanted them around and sent them home. It's a shame militias are held in the same regard as UFO nuts and bigfoot hunters.
    I think if they changed their tactics a little bit, they might be better thought of when they show up on a disaster scene. Perhaps trade the BDU's and combat boots for work boot and blue jeans. Its all about image...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Good point.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

VIP Member
    Virginia actually has a sanctioned militia - they are the "back up" to the National Guard. When my unit was deployed, they helped maintain the Armory and facilities, helped with family issues, and were available for any State mission that might have come up that my unit would have normally handled. Not a bad group of guys (and gals), really - not the stereotypical "Survivors" (great friggin movie, BTW) type militia... Mostly guys who got a bit too old, tired, fat, or lazy to wear the uniform officially, but still wanted to help out.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links