Militia Info?: MERGED

This is a discussion on Militia Info?: MERGED within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Is anyone here in a organized militia? How does one go about starting or joining a militia if they choose? What tasks or drills do ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Militia Info?: MERGED

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Is anyone here in a organized militia? How does one go about starting or joining a militia if they choose? What tasks or drills do they preform?

I'm not in a Militia (except that as stated in the Constitution where all able bodied men are essentially the militia) but you may get some information here.

http://www.awrm.org/

You mean a hunting club? A hunting club would have folks using generally compatible rifles, for parts interchangability and familiarity with a buddy's rifle, in the field. Shooting at 200-300 yards would be a regular event, possibly for money, since that seems to bring out the best of everyone's ability. Everyone would have secure storage for their arms and field gear at home, having it well put together and thought out.

Some basic self defense and pistol shooting, for fun and practicality. I know every few years in Colorado, we'd have some weirdo (new one annually) who thought it would be fun to rob hikers or hunters in the hills.

Everyone would take a BLS (Basic Life Support) class. Accidents happen.

If one or two of the group reload, the rest would have "load parties", bringing over a can of powder, some bullets, primers & cases, every couple of months.

Everyone would practice hiking, and map & compass navigation. How many people can find their way home, in the city, even, without using the common street route? When out, have pre-set meeting points for the members to return to. Know that your cells and/or radios may not work, depending on the weather and terrain. Have plans or alternate means.

Volunteer with community groups, be a part of the neighborhood watch, local CERT (Community Emergency Response Team- FEMA funded), vol Fire/EMS units.

If you mean a "militia", as in a bunch of out of shape folks in $20 BDUs running and going prone in the cornfield,wheezing like airhoses, and planning on repelling an invading force... seen 'em. Never had much use for them. They generally aren't too whippy, and attract a lot of not-so-positive attention.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    If you mean a "militia", as in a bunch of out of shape folks in $20 BDUs running and going prone in the cornfield,wheezing like airhoses, and planning on repelling an invading force... seen 'em.

I'd recommend joining this one:

http://www.army.com/enlist/
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Administrator

Militia

"the whole body of able-bodied male citizens (sorry girls) declared by law as being subject to call to military service."

And should the U.S.A. ever experience a catastrophic national emergency of great proportion on the "homefront" we are all only "one quick passed law" away from being subject to call...girls included.

For that reason we are all already the Militia.
    You/Me/All joined without even knowing it when we hit 18 years of age.

Just my personal opinion on that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I think what you are looking for is the "State Defense Force" or "State Guard"
    These are Official State Militias, and the only military force not subject to the federal Goverment. Most of the states that have them, use there defense force as a reserve element of the National Guard. They often fill the local role of the National Guard, in the event that the NG is called to active duty.

As far as I know, PA does not have an official State Defense Force/State Guard.

http://www.sgaus.org/
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Rob72 - That was damned well-said. All of it. Amen.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

The Militia Act of 1903 states that every able bodied male citizen between the ages of 17 and 44 (Virginia is 16-55) is by definition a member of the so called unorganized militia. You younger men are part of the Militia. From NRA's America's 1st Freedom magazine 8/07.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    I'd recommend joining this one:

http://www.army.com/enlist/
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    Every "militia" I have ever came across I would not want to claim myself a part of. Intentions may have been good, but most of them just want to play tough or grown up army. Maybe they just didnt do the Boy Scout thing as a kid, and want to do it now as an adult. There is at least one here in Ohio, but they are mostly a criminal organization on the look out for black helo's.

I'm not against the idea, but it has been my experiance that they are poorly run and a large portion of the ranks are "Dale Gribbels" with to much time on their hands. I've also noticed that every one seems to be officers... how does that work? The local civil war actors seem to have a better grasp on military function than the militia's do.

I think if it was run properly with a real and true purpose, good practical training, it wouldnt be a bad idea. I think a large part of your battle would be public image, and finding people qualified and willing to take charge and run it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I joined the Michigan Militia one time many years ago. I ended up becoming their medical officer. The training was nice, we would do quite a bit of running, crawling, survival type training.

It was when we were in a round about discussion at one of the meetings and the talk went into how they would shoot any government official that stepped on their property....that was enough for me.

I may not agree with the government all the time, but I am not going to prison over something stupid. If I shoot someone, I better have a very good reason for it! You all know what I mean.
    Eric

There were NO Guns used to take over the flights on 9-11, IT STILL HAPPENED

Wake up Americans - GUN CONTROL - Means WE LOOSE

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    The have a recruiting booth at the Gun shows every time I bother going to a gun show. Not something I have ever been interested in after 26 years in uniform.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Every State's militia was united into the National Guard. Try that.

Quote Originally Posted by alyehoud View Post
    Every State's militia was united into the National Guard. Try that.
    I dot believe this to be correct.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links