Assault Musket Locks Down St. Johns

This is a discussion on Assault Musket Locks Down St. Johns within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A typical example of how hysteria can blow something out of proportion. http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/lelong8.html...

A typical example of how hysteria can blow something out of proportion.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/lelong8.html

Administrator
    I dunno, but I would imagine if a musket could kill someone 200 years ago, it still could today.

They locked down a school near me this week because of a kid with a BB gun... and everyone knew it was a BB gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dunno, but I would imagine if a musket could kill someone 200 years ago, it still could today.

They locked down a school near me this week because of a kid with a BB gun... and everyone knew it was a BB gun.
    Sixto, nothing was said about a muzzleloader not being able to kill. The article speaks of people jumping to conclusions before getting the facts. To some that .50 cal muzzleloader is the same as a .50 cal BMG. You and I know they're not even close. It's very much like that KFC commercial where everyone is in a panic because the lady has a knife until they realize why. Whenever I hear something like this about a school, I think back to the NRA sponsored rifle club at my high school. Yes it was a shooting club and, believe it or not, I went to high school in San Jose, CA. To think that today there is pure panic in schools just at the mention of firearms. To shut down a school for something of this nature (muzzleloader, BB gun, paint ball gun, etc.) strikes me as over-kill (no pun intended). It MIGHT be different if the item was a AR-15, AK-47, or something of that nature.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Sixto, nothing was said about a muzzleloader not being able to kill. The article speaks of people jumping to conclusions before getting the facts.
    Yeah, I know, but I doubt they knew anything more than there is a man with a gun before they decided to lock down. Could you imagine if they knew, didn't lock down, and someone got killed?

I agree with you that it might of been a overkill, you know what they say about hindsight and assumptions.

I doubt when the lawsuit was settled it would have mattered what kind of gun it was. I also doubt the dead person would care.

Your argument is kind of buying into the whole "evil black rifle" thing.

It is funny that now Cheney used a musket on his famous hunting trip.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah, I know, but I doubt they knew anything more than there is a man with a gun before they decided to lock down. Could you imagine if they knew, didn't lock down, and someone got killed?

I agree with you that it might of been a overkill, you know what they say about hindsight and assumptions.

I doubt when the lawsuit was settled it would have mattered what kind of gun it was. I also doubt the dead person would care.

Your argument is kind of buying into the whole "evil black rifle" thing.

It is funny that now Cheney used a musket on his famous hunting trip.
    Yep, they'll say anything to try and win an argument. Cheney used a double barrel shot gun during that incident and now it's the same as a muzzleloader.

The article's description of a muzzleloader as an obsolete and outdated weapon are pretty far off the mark. The don't use round lead balls and loose powder - they use charges and saboted bullets of whatever type the shooter chooses. A break action muzzle loader with modern ammunition and optics can easily take game at 100 yards, and can be shot well over 3 times a minute.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    The article's description of a muzzleloader as an obsolete and outdated weapon are pretty far off the mark. The don't use round lead balls and loose powder - they use charges and saboted bullets of whatever type the shooter chooses. A break action muzzle loader with modern ammunition and optics can easily take game at 100 yards, and can be shot well over 3 times a minute.

Austin
    While this is true in some cases, I have muzzleloaders that shoot in the "traditional" manner. That is loose powder (I use Pyrodex) and lead bullets (no sabot). I also have a modern "in-line" muzzleloader that I shoot in the more modern fashion.

Links