Urine test. How about this idea?

This is a discussion on Urine test. How about this idea? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A friend of mine sent me this, it seems like a good idea, but I doubt there are many politicians that would want to support ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member

A friend of mine sent me this, it seems like a good idea, but I doubt there are many politicians that would want to support this, plus many of those welfare funds are matched by the feds, which essentially generates money coming into a state

Like a lot of folks in this state, I have a job. I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as they see fit. In order to get that paycheck. I am required to pass a random urine test, which I have no problem with. What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don't have to pass a urine test. Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check, because I have to pass one to earn it for them? Please understand, I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with helping someone sit on their a**. Could you imagine how much money the state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Wow. I think it's brilliant. But who would pay for the urine test? I think the program would pay for itself. Of couse, the money isn't for me, it is for my 11 young children...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I'm all in. Now if we could just develope a test to tell the difference between being unable to work and being unwilling to work. Now that'll clean-out some deadwood in the recipient rolls.

As for who pays for the aforementioned urine test? The folks asking for the help (money) who pass the test will have the cost of the test deducted from the total amount of money for which they are qualified. The folks who ask for help & FAIL the test will have the cost of the test(s) accumulate until such time as they can pass it. Then the accumulated costs will be deducted from the total amount of money for which they are qualified. It then serves as a motivation to be clean if you want help. And the longer it takes you to understand that...the more it COSTS you! Lessons that effect your wallet are POWERFUL reminders.

Why is this deduction method any different than the FICA & SS deductions taken from my earned pay every week?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    Well you can read my sig for my opinion.

I like the idea of the CCC camps if you want free housing, food and a paycheck you work. You might be removing privet from the Smoky Mountains National Park or picking up trash in New Orleans but to recieve the benefits you worked.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I'm all in. Now if we could just develope a test to tell the difference between being unable to work and being unwilling to work. Now that'll clean-out some deadwood in the recipient rolls.

Good point !
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Did ya' ever notice that the most PRACTICAL solutions to Public Policy Issues usually come from people who WORK for a living?

+1 pgrass101!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Lessons that affect your wallet are powerful reminders...truer words were n'er spoken.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Brilliant!

That's one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. Someone should pass it on to the politicals. Of course the Dems would shoot it down. Gotta keep the voting base happy.

Senior Moderator
    I think we oughtto give urine tests to Congressmen and Senators.
    Fail and you're out. End of discussion.
    That'd be the end of the Democratic party right there and half of the Republicans...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member

Disagree here

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Like a lot of folks in this state, I have a job. I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as they see fit. In order to get that paycheck. I am required to pass a random urine test, which I have no problem with.
    You should.

For reasons I don't want to get into here, I am very very familiar with drug testing regulations. I know folks who work at SAMHSA (the Federal Agency which promulgates testing regulations) and belong to a non-profit which has held meetings with the highest levels of government officials (OMB) at the "Old Execultive Office Bldg in D.C." about problems with Department of Transportation testing and SAMHSA testing methodology. There are serious problems.

I have also attended 3 meetings of the Drug and Alcohol testing Industry Association, including one last October in which the industry was pushing (as it always does) for more testing of more people, in more situations, to increase profits. They want to test school kids for tobacco use. Maybe not a bad idea, but probably many would think it over the top. And besides the SCOTUS has already put the breaks on what government can do in the way of suspicionless testing. Hence, for example, schools can't test students as a condition of participation in the ordinary school curriculum; only after school stuff. The same problem would apply to testing welfare recipients for drugs, by the government. Like, it ain't permissible under the 4th.

Widespread drug testing of employees, as it is presently done using urine, is a huge bad mistake. There are better ways. Hair testing and saliva testing and sweat testing all have significant advantages.
    But, no matter how it is done, no matter what method is used, there are going to be mistakes, false positives, and people who lose jobs or other benefits for no good reason. I have reason to know that there are also very many people who have a variety of medical problems that interfere with such testing and that the Medical Review Officer's don't properly handle these special cases. I also know, believe it or not, that in some prison systems the prisoners and parolees have better protection from false accusations and botched tests than ordinary employees.

If we must test, it should be very limited to safety sensitive positions, and I would much prefer to see performance based testing than drug testing per se. There are many reasons besides drugs why employees may show up for work impaired. In safety sensitive situations, computerized performance tests would be a better approach.

Finally, there is a civil liberties issue(s). Do we really want "the government" or our employers diging into our private lives? For drug tests to be correctly interpreted, it is often necessary to reveal all medications that you are taking. This gives away a lot of personal privacy and opens the door for (in some instances) unfair employment actions.

New Mexico has a "Human Rights Act" and employers have been successfully sued under this act for the results of botched drug testing. A few months back, Georgia, under pressure from The Chamber of Commerce, altered its laws so that employers may no longer insist on urine tests---but may use hair and saliva testing.

Folks, I could write three books on this subject. Believe me, you don't want to go where you think you do. It sounds good, but it isn't.

And, it is expensive. At least 20 bucks per test. It would be impractical to do it to millions of people. Would you really want someone to propose that you can't get your handgun license without first proving that you are clean? Think carefully before you answer. How would that square with the 2A? Would you be willing to pay for it? What about the erosion of 4th ammendment rights?

The testing industry has done a good job of making money selling a fast cure for the drug problem. Do you think it has really worked?
    I don't. So I can't endorse more of the same.

VIP Member
    One more thing. Most folks are unaware that drug testing is legally not the same as medical testing. It isn't regulated by the FDA. You don't have to be a properly educated clincal chemist to open shop. If you aren't doing government regulated testing, your lab. is not being monitored in any way for quality control, integrity, etc.

The drug testing industry was very clever in getting law makers to skirt quality issues by declaring that drug tests are not legally medical tests.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Works for me!
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I think we oughtto give urine tests to Congressmen and Senators.
    Fail and you're out. End of discussion.
    That'd be the end of the Democratic party right there and half of the Republicans...

There is no Constitutional right to collect a Gov't check...there is the 2A.

Second, I collect a Gov't check (I work for it)--but I'm still required to submit to a drug test (when ordered) as a condition of employment.

If you collect a Gov't check (without working for it), you should be subject to the rules to collect it--and drug testing is one of them. I also believe they should be able to prove they are unable to work for the previous 30 days.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links