Developing Story: Gunman Takes Hostages on California High School Campus

This is a discussion on Developing Story: Gunman Takes Hostages on California High School Campus within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Link to the Sacramento Bee Hostage situation locks down Oroville schools By Niesha Lofing - Bee Staff Writer Published 10:16 am PDT Friday, September 28, ...

Thread: Developing Story: Gunman Takes Hostages on California High School Campus

Link to the Sacramento Bee
    Hostage situation locks down Oroville schools
    By Niesha Lofing - Bee Staff Writer
    Published 10:16 am PDT Friday, September 28, 2007

All Oroville Union High School District schools are on lockdown due to a reported hostage situation at Las Plumas High School.

The district posted a notice about the lockdowns on its Web site at 9:35 a.m. Friday.

Various broadcast reports say a gunman is holding two or three hostages in the school's band room and the rest of the school has been evacuated. Calls to the high school and the district are going unanswered.

Students are being taken to Church of the Nazarene near the campus where parents can pick up their children. The church is located at 2238 Monte Vista Ave.

The school district has released the following statement on its Web site, posted at 10:25 a.m.:

"All Oroville Union High School District schools are on lock down. There is an incident at the Las Plumas High School campus. The Butte County Sheriff's Office has the campus under control. If your student is at the Las Plumas campus you will not be able to pick them up at this time. If you would like to pick up a student from another school be prepared to show identification and please be patient with the emergency support staff. Please help keep our phone lines clear and check the district website for updates."
    The story is just breaking in California. I will post additional information as it becomes available.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member
    Ugh.....here we go, here comes the media to the "rescue".

I hope it turns out okay, and no one is hurt. Thanks for keeping us posted and please continue to do so.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I didn't think something like this could happen in Kalifornia.

Seriously though. I hope that everything works itself out with a happy ending.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

The situation ended peacefully:

Hostage situation ends at Oroville school
    By Niesha Lofing and Dorothy Korber - Bee Staff Writers
    Published 10:16 am PDT Friday, September 28, 2007

A hostage situation has ended at an Oroville high school and the gunman is in custody following a standoff that lasted more than an hour Friday morning.

Butte County Sheriff's officials confirmed the situation at Las Plumas High School ended peacefully around 10:45 a.m.

All six Oroville Union High School District schools were on lockdown following the incident, which began around 9:15 a.m. The district posted a notice about the lockdowns on its Web site at 9:35 a.m.

Various broadcast reports say shots were fired and the gunman was holding two or three hostages in the school's band room. More than two dozen students were released at the start of the situation.

The rest of the school was evacuated, and students and faculty were taken to Church of the Nazarene near the campus where parents could pick up their children. The church is located at 2238 Monte Vista Ave.

The school district has released the following statement on its Web site, posted at 10:25 a.m.:

"All Oroville Union High School District schools are on lock down. There is an incident at the Las Plumas High School campus. The Butte County Sheriff's Office has the campus under control. If your student is at the Las Plumas campus you will not be able to pick them up at this time. If you would like to pick up a student from another school be prepared to show identification and please be patient with the emergency support staff. Please help keep our phone lines clear and check the district website for updates."

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Just in case you guys were wondering where Oroville, CA is like I was...click here.
    Last edited by LoneRanger; September 28th, 2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling mistake (oops!)
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Heaven help us all.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Wait...I don't understand...You mean to say that a nut can just walk into a building full of helpless unarmed people and do whatever he wants?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Wait...I don't understand...You mean to say that a nut can just walk into a building full of helpless unarmed people and do whatever he wants?
    N, of course he can't. Schools are gun free zones....wait a minute.....somebody call the police....this guy broke the rules. Maybe he can't read. maybe we need to start a new nutjob literacy program to help nutjobs follow gun laws. We'll tack a new $50 per gun fee on every transaction to pay for the program. That'll fix everything.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Impossible. Everyone knows a high-school campus is a gun-free-zone.

I grew up in Paradise, just to the north. Playing Las Plumas was one of our big games.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    It must have been the sound of the band practicing, that will make most people wacko! JK... I wonder if the gun was microstamped? That may help the Kalifornia investigators solve this crime more quickly!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Welllll, that takes the cake. I mean this jerk just walks in carrying a gun into a "posted" gun-free zone. I'll bet he gets a severe talking to by the police and then is told not to do it again, before he's released.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Sponsored Links