FL Student Tasered

This is a discussion on FL Student Tasered within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My brother and I were having a discussion last night about this student that was tasered after he asked a rather long winded three questions ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FL Student Tasered

FL Student Tasered

My brother and I were having a discussion last night about this student that was tasered after he asked a rather long winded three questions at a John Kerry Q&A. He thought it was a first amendment infringment, and I hadn't seen it, so . . .

I checked out the videos on youtube and definitely side with the cops on this one. According to this news account he was arrested for disrupting a public event and resisting arrest. Given that FL has a statute prohibiting disrupting a public event, the cops were justified in walking him out.

871.01 Disturbing schools and religious and other assemblies.--

(1) Whoever willfully interrupts or disturbs any school or any assembly of people met for the worship of God or for any lawful purpose commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

I think a jury would find that he indeed caused a disturbance. Gaging from the audience's initial reaction (applause) he wasn't just patiently waiting to ask his question.
    That said, the police were certainly justified in arresting him, and you'll see that right before they take him to the floor he almost took an elbow to an officer's face. Definitely resisting arrest.

I love the "So he got tased for asking John Kerry a strange question about the 2004 presidential election." No, he got arrested for disrupting an assembly. He got tased for resisting arrest. I hate when talking heads try to think.

My question would surround his mental capacity. He obviously wasn't firing on all 8 cylinders, so why was he out in the general public unsupervised where he could get himself in situations like this???

Was tasering him ethical? It may have put him in pain for 5 seconds, but it allowed the officers to cuff him without injury to him, an officer or bystanders. The taser did exactly what it was designed to do and produced the desired outcome. Looks like a textbook deployment to me.

Thinking back, this is a lot like the case where a guy didn't take his meds one day, got off a plane saying he had a bomb in his backpack, and TSA was forced to shoot and kill him. Bad for everyone involved. I think you just have to acknowledge that, avoid the blame game, and try to prevent it next time.

As far as overturning the statute under first amendment rights, that's a really long shot.

What are your thoughts?
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Personally, I think that Tasers are a good thing.. they have a roll as another tool in the box for LEO! I'm a big proponent of making sure officers go home at the end of the day, unharmed and unhurt. Tasers help make that happen.

Without seeing the whole video clip, or having been there, I'm not sure the kid was making a scene before the cops moved in, so I'll reserve judgment on that!

As far as the talking head sprouting off on the fact that there were "19 cops" holding this guy down, and no one could cuff him without using the taser, I think he's an idiot...then again... that's my opinion on most talking heads!

--Jim

oh...BTW... the mentally ill guy with the bomb in his backpack, the guy who was off his meds, was shot by a pair of Federal Air Marshals...not really TSA :) But yeah, it was bad for everyone involved!
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

he earned it
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Administrator
    No doubt about it, it was earned. Although it hurts like hell (Yes, I've taken a few rides on the Taser express) I would much rather get tased than take a few punches, blows from an ASP or OC.
    This case is of simple media and other maroons makeing a big deal out of nothing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by MnemonicMonkey View Post
    ... after he asked a rather long winded three questions at a John Kerry Q&A. He thought it was a first amendment infringment ...
    Keep in mind that the 1A protects people's right to speak their piece on their own nickel, their own property, their own time. It does NOT protect anything spoken anywhere under all circumstances.

Want a bullhorn of your own? Buy one, head to your own place, then start spouting whatever you choose. But not in my "home." There, I'll place limits on what I will allow, the level of disruption to be tolerated, and the timing and speed of your removal if you cross those boundaries. Absolutely. In other words, you can say what you like in your home, but I choose what is allowable in my own living room. Want the liberty to do the same? Then we all must tolerate that others also have that right, in their "homes." That is an appropriate exercise of one of the most important rights there is.

Was tasering him ethical?
    On the assumption this removal and arrest was justified, sure. A taser allows one more option prior to physical damage being applied. Hard to see how that's a bad thing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the mouth got tased after he was cuffed. If he did get tased after the cuffing, the cops were wrong.....With one unarmed mouth and all of the cops they should just each grabbed a limb and carried him out of there. Not very smart tasing with all the cameras running. Now if they had to tase him to get the cuffs on, then its his skin. Here's an interesting thought, in NE our means of capital punishment is the electric chair, and it has been challenged in court as cruel and unusual punishment, so how could tasing with 50,000 volts not be cruel ???? It would also seem to be punishment to me for a crime that you have not been convicted for as of yet. Do I see a use for tasers, yes in certain circumstances.

Some laws for me are way to vague, example: resisting arrest, ok if you say DON'T ARREST ME!!!!! are you resisting arrest?? another dumb law--- disturbing the peace---WAAAY to subjective and vague. I could view anything that makes a noise or gets people to turn and look as disturbing the peace. Think about this, in some locals open carry gets you arrested for D T P , but the other day in Omaha NE some group gets several large trucks and drives around with pictures of aborted fetuses on them, is that not also D T P.

Finished with my rant:

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Here's an interesting thought, in NE our means of capital punishment is the electric chair, and it has been challenged in court as cruel and unusual punishment, so how could tasing with 50,000 volts not be cruel ?
    The chair kills you and is designed as punishment. A taser doesn't and is designed as a temporary compliance tool for use when more-forceful measures may not be appropriate. Avoidance of physical damage cruel? Speak with any LEO to appreciate how many folks don't go limp and compliant merely by having cuffs joining their hands. Hard to know in any specific case, as we don't have full details. But it has its place.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    ccw9mm: Thought I read that something over 200 people have died while being tased, is that info wrong? Yes I do think they have their place, just not sure that was one of them. I assume you are LEO? Thanks if you are. I know LEO's and CCW all have the same thought-- go home at the end of the day.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    SleepingZ,

I'm not sure on the 200 people being killed by a taser stat, but even if that's true... it's still a less forceful option then some of them that police have! People can die from OC, or from an ASP strike that goes wrong, heck, from taking a breath of the wrong air!

I guess what I'm saying is that the intention of the taser to force temporary compliance without resorting to physical force. And ultimately, the BG brings it upon himself by resisting the LEO orders to stop resisting and let them do their jobs (ie, putting him in cuffs.)

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

VIP Member
    Anybody catch COPS last night? It was some sort of 20th anniversary collection of the best episodes. I was reminded of this thread by the way how take-downs have changed over the years and particulary pre-taser v. taser eras. I saw 5 or 6 officers on top of a small but spaced out & combative suspects who had to be beaten hard to make him comply and cops got hurt in the process. Then we transition to the Taser Area and see how arrests are safer for both officers and suspects because the taser takes out the combative spirit from the arrest process.
    And yes, deaths have occurred using taser, but AFAIK the individuals were heavily uder the influence of stimulants and that was the main cause that their hearts went kaka and shut down.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    ccw9mm: Thought I read that something over 200 people have died while being tased, is that info wrong? Yes I do think they have their place, just not sure that was one of them. I assume you are LEO? Thanks if you are. I know LEO's and CCW all have the same thought-- go home at the end of the day.
    What you dont know is that every single death involving a taser has been ruled by the coroners that the person would have died with or with out the taser. Most were on cocaine in some form.
    Do some research on excited delirium if you really want the truth.

Just some food for thought, I have been involved in several incidents when I have used a taser. All of them would have needed to be fought, ending in injury to me or the BG. If I lost the fight, chances are I would have lost bad.
    More than a few were tased that I would have otherwise have shot. Those lives were saved by the taser.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I figure that the cops should have no duty to fight with a subject. Comply or get zapped or sprayed or both. If the cops only tool is a gun i guess they should use some restraint.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the mouth got tased after he was cuffed.

He was tased with one cuff and kept fighting the other cuff. Think of the injury a person with one handcuff could inflict, similar to having brass knuckles.

Distinguished Member
    Corrected: Well at least he will have a heck of a story to tell his kids someday!!!

Z

Remember why he was arrested.
    He like every one else was given an allotted time to ask his questions and his time was up and he refused to step back. That is when the officers moved in to remove him. When he resisted the police that is when every thing went south.
    Not for the questions he asked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links