Bikers - a pic for the day.

This is a discussion on Bikers - a pic for the day. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wife and I rode out today - 100 miles and some - good bunch of folks. This pic is one I took which seems to ...

Thread: Bikers - a pic for the day.

Assistant Administrator

Bikers - a pic for the day.

Wife and I rode out today - 100 miles and some - good bunch of folks. This pic is one I took which seems to sorta ''sum up'' summer and getting the bike out.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Very nice.

The humidity finally broke a bit in my area and I got the beast out and did a bit of riding myself.

I cannot explain the feeling, but I wish I could bottle it. I warm up the engine, and while the head is slowly heating, I worry about just anything. Do I have enough money. Do I have enough air in the tires. Will some ricer kill me.

I slowly ease the bike onto the suburban roads leading to a Class A highway. Maybe I won't die. I seem to remember a ten dollar bill in my wallet for fuel. Oh, heck, I have my Sicilian Express Card--don't leave Rome without it. If I have to die, this ain't too bad.

I hit the on ramp and wind out the entire 95-inches in one searing bluster of ballsy anti-social behavior. I hit the highway at +70 and I have two gears left.

What was I thinking about? Gee, I thought I was worried. Worried about what? Was it a 'who' or was it a 'what'?

I look out onto a highway with wind creeping under my glasses pulling out a single speed-tear. Hard to believe I've been looking at the divider like a lover for over 40 years. Still gets me.

There's decent latte at the Harley shop. Roger put a stroker in a bagger. Haven't seen Mickey in a week; I hear he rebuilt his softie with a springer. Hope he likes the Silver Bullets at my house. There are a couple of Riders in the rear entrance to the bays. One of the boys is on an Anniversary Ultra; he pulls out a cigarette and lights both of them. Roger grinds the stroker to a hostile idle and the upswept straight pipes rumble all over the RPM band trying to find a happy home.

As his bagger leaves the lot, he bang shifts into second and actually lifts the front wheel. We all chuckle as the acrid black tire smoke forms an envelope around our enclave.

P95Carry just shock his head and smiled. Many of you just shock your head.

Lead Moderator
    Chris..... That's great picture!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    I cannot explain the feeling, but I wish I could bottle it. I warm up the engine, and while the head is slowly heating, I worry about just anything. Do I have enough money. Do I have enough air in the tires. Will some ricer kill me.
    Tourist - I suffer the same or similar as I prep for a run. All my biking life it has been this way.

I had three particular years of biking ordeals - in as much as, going back to University age 47, selling my beater car and managing with just the bike - could not exactly choose when I wanted to ride, or not!!

Rain, hail, snow, ice - wind whatever - all had to be overcome. And each and every day, particularly the foul ones, I sat astride as I left in the morn' wondering if I would ''make it'' home that evening. On ''making it'' home of course - a small internal celebration - once more death had been cheated, the grim reaper was again denied his dues. I think this kept me more alert - the acceptance that yeah - ''it'' could very well happen to me.

I am even more aware these days when I have my beloved on the back - it ain't jus my skin at stake. I of course ride a ricer but - as it's a cruiser and I am moderately sensible, do not rate it as a missile that'll take out another rider. The crotch-rockets - now that's a different matter and I keep a very sharp eye on those. If the kids choose to meet their maker on their own that's fine by me - but just keep it that way and don't take me out as well!

Otherwise - I just try and make the usual assumption that the other guy is an idiot and is targeting me - so in fact, don't assume, anything. Yesterday was a wonderful run - but as ever I garaged the bike when we got back, and said a quiet and sincere ''thank you'', for my ''deliverance''
    Chris - P95

P95Carry,

Ahhh, but the flip side is something I have trouble explaining to citizens.

We all have job stress (well, not me anymore) worries about health, our friends, even our spirituality.

And there are parts of this forum that really address elements of that part of life. We want to maximize our walk, and we want to do it fearlessly and with certainty. We slide a nice combat gun into our shorts.

If it's one thing I've learned it's that there is another facet "beyond the hardware." And this is where cycling makes the nut for me.

I saw something interesting last night watching a re-run of Stargate Atlantis. Some of the people can make some of the mystical technology work, many cannot. They have found that some of the explorers "have the gene."

They stole that one from Hunter Thompson and his observation of The Lankhorne Gene. No matter what age the biker is, his body doesn't seem to be in a natural pose unless leaning on a shovel. Or in our case, a shovelhead.

My family has it, too. My Grandfather and I share it, his daughter (my Mother) does not.

And it's why I get into trouble in society. Give me an hour or two (and I'm leaving right now) and I don't care what caught fire while I was gone. A citizen looks at me and says, "Quit screwing around, Chico, this is serious, pay attention!"

All I feel is the whistle of the wind. Where's the chrome polish?

(P95Carry--I'd like to see further pics of your bike. You can e-mail or PM to me, if you'd like. Oh, you're invited to VTF.)

Assistant Administrator
    Tourist - I actually have very few pics of my machine - I posted one or two a ways back - one with me on it and one in my driveway - so guess you'll have seen those.

Let me just add this one from yesterday - our friend's Hog and my VTX. I'll see what others I have - but then too - post a pic or two of your two-wheeled friend!

Chris - P95

P95Carry,

Betty posted a picture of my 'Betty.' It's somewhere in these columns, I think with the title 'members post your pictures.'

My Betty had her first drag race today. She didn't do too bad considering I was racing Mickey Foster. He had rebuilt his engine over the winter. He replaced his entire front end with a factory chrome springer. Yikes, he always amazes me.

If three younger thugs jumped this 63 year old biker in a saloon, I'd just turn my back and order a new Shirley Temple. I hate to see violence when the odds are so unevenly matched.

Imagine, that trio--scarred for life, perhaps crippled.

Anyhoo, Mickey and I left Capital together. He had a date and he's a shameless skirt chaser. He still lives with his ex-wife. "Why should I deny the woman this pleasure just because we don't care for each other?"

We warmed up and pulled out onto the frontage road. Mickey got to the intersection first and came to a complete stop. I lagged a bit, rolled through the intersection and made a wide left turn, Mickey took the inside. For a second, our front wheels aligned. I knew it was going to happen.

I heard his engine come on and I put the spurs to mine, as well. Betty leaned back on her suspension and let my bigger engine torque him out of first. We grabbed for second about the same time and I still led a bit, tires squealing for perhaps a bike length.

Then all hell broke loose. I heard Mickey's bike inhale as if all of our oxygen was pulled through his carburetor in a thousand huffs. As we pulled for third, he flew by me and I could hear his straight pipes rap on closure.

It was over. Technically it was over when he booted for third.

We beeped, I pulled off for the Interstate and he forked off for town. I'm always left happy, even in defeat. My wife was still out shopping when I got back, so I popped a Silver Bullet while Betty cooled and I rubbed in the carnuba and touched up a few spots with chrome polish.

I remembered our thread on bugs and bikes when I carefully chipped off a suicide runner splashed onto the back of my right mirror.

Not a bad way to go, if you're a bug. You died watching Mickey race.

edit: My bike is pictured on page six of "Member Photos....Got 'em?" in the off topic column. There is nothing in my jacket pocket and that's the story I'm sticking with.

Assistant Administrator
    Aha - the pics thread, right. Well my post was -

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...35&postcount=4

And yep - here is yours .......

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...8&postcount=52

I remember now!! Not so worried about what is in your pocket - it's the Uzi stuffed down the front that's rather cool!!

My son reworked his bike over winter - another ricer but a nice one. It's based on a '94 Suzuki VS1400 - and he did a fine job. Tho he has a few more cubes than me - we like to drag off at times and usually find we are about equal. Depends a bit on who burns up more clutch! LOL.

May have shown this but here it is anyways - looks good and sounds even better, tho of course not everyone's choice perhaps - but I like it.

Chris - P95

P95Carry,

Ha, ha. Not an Uzi! Just a pocket full of 'love' and a few winter pounds--most of which the gym has taken, thankfully. I small bite is consumed in mere seconds; 90 minutes per day on a StairMaster is the gateway to Hades.

Not a bad Suzuki, it has a kind of Victory motorcycle air about it. I thought about Victory, they have a shop in my little town.

Does that solid rear wheel make the bike drift in the wind? I was thinking about it; I decided to do most of the mods for right now on the front end.

I don't want to go over board with a 280 rear wheel. But I might want to go a tad bigger, necessitating a wider swing arm. I just saw the new Harley parts book, and a 6-speed-right is available. Really pricey now.

Assistant Administrator
    The rear billet wheel does not so far seem any prob at all - mind you, son is no speed freak these days and has (thank goodness) now a good few years of riding experience. Main prob he had after the rebuild was getting front forks set up just right - the front wheel has a smidgeon of lateral offset and so the forks needed some tweaking to get rid of a slight pull - seems good now.

Yes - a flavor of Victory, I think you are right. Victory did some quite aggressive advertizing last year and yet I see very few - what I have seen I liked but - have to wonder if they have too big of a fight on their hands - against the Hog market and the huge choice now of rice burners.

Hope not cos I'd like them to succeed.

Sounds like a wider swing arm on yours would spell some serious $$$$'s as well as the fitting of same - tho have to say a 280 would look very nice. I am only running a wee lil' 180 - whereas my boy has something like 230 IIRC.

As long as the sucker goes round tho - I'm happy!
    Chris - P95

You can go pretty wide on the Harley--if you switch to right side drive.

The problem is that if I have things apart, I like to get it all done. If I go to the trouble of ripping apart the whole rear end, then lets do the a decent chrome wheel (1,000 plus), chrome rear sprocket (600), high strength belt (+250) right side six speed tranny (+5,000) and decent tire (who knows!)

Or...

There's that huffer!

Assistant Administrator
    Conversion = OUCH!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One more pic of my steed, from a run last year ...........

I have since added some nice ''old glory'' decals - being too lazy to strip down to tins and get the paint job I'd really like!
    Last edited by P95Carry; June 19th, 2005 at 11:21 PM.
    Chris - P95

I jumped out of the forum for a bit to call Mickey. I had to ask him, "Did you give me first gear?"

I got the usual shuck and jive about 'you hit the throttle first,' but then I told him that I heard that 'electric sucking sound' come up behind me about even with my rear turn signal.

Mickey got sort of mellow. "Yeah, I saw you hit it. I'll give you second gear. But I got you fair and square in third." No question, I admitted. I got wupped.

We must have both thought the same thing at that moment.

"Imagine that," Mickey began, "Father's day, cops everywhere. Two black Harleys, flat out in three gears. And when he pulls us over we're older than his father."

Flat out in three gears. +80 and accelerating. There's a week's pay in fines.

"Seeing a bunch of old farts," he laughed, "would have been worth the ticket..."

Links