Anyone have a Greyhound as a pet??

This is a discussion on Anyone have a Greyhound as a pet?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Saw a booth at a local festival that we attended this weekend from this organization: midsouthgreyhound . We don't currently have a fenced in backyard ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saw a booth at a local festival that we attended this weekend from this organization: midsouthgreyhound.

We don't currently have a fenced in backyard so we wouldn't be getting one any time soon. But, when we buy a house in a year or so, (we currently rent the house we live in) we would like to get a dog. From listening to the lady manning th booth Greyhounds sound like a great pet and the thought of adopting a dog who used to race and giving them a loving home as opposed to them just being put to sleep after they can no longer race really appeals to me.

So, if you have a greyhound we'd love to hear about your experiences with them and let us know your thoughts!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    My neighbor has one now, and several in the past. Its a ugly, but neat dog. Its pretty quite and relaxed. Get her fired up though, and look out. Its a hoot to watch her race around the backyards, she leaves my dogs (or any others) in her dust.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I used to think they were ugly too but the more I look at them the more they grow on me.

And, the more I read about them the more they sound like a good pet. I used to think they needed a lot of room to run but that isn't the case. They are not high energy dogs. They sprint, but they do not have an extended high energy level. In fact, everything I read says they are extreemly loyal and very good inside pets. They have short hair, no under coat, and thin skin along with very little body fat so they actually need to be inside a lot because they can not tolerate heat and cold well.

They are growing on us.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

They're very sweet dogs with such a soft, thin coat. I haven't had one myself, but a friend of mine helps the greyhound adoption group here.

Senior Moderator
    My brother has adpoted 3 greyhounds. 2 were great dogs and loved to run. He lets them run in a pasture by his house (with land owners permission) and the just run laps for about an hour and then they're done.

The other one was mistreated and would run away from people. The greyhoud rescue had to come and get it back.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

My mom has two greyhounds. She adopted one, and then a few months later the rescue group asked her if she'd take care of a second for a month or two to help them out, and so naturally now she has both of them. They are incredibly sweet dogs.

She lives on a golf course with no real private or fenced in yard, they do make good inside dogs despite what one might think. As long as they get long walks they're good, at least hers are.

My neighbor has three of them. He takes them to the veterinary clinic where my wife works, she says they're nice gentle dogs.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Just be careful if you have a pet rabbit. Or a small child who looks like a rabbit . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Greyhounds are great dogs. That said, adopted greyhounds aren't for the person looking for a great family pet. Most of the time, they just aren't the loving, playful, happy, ready-to-protect companion people are looking for in a dog. It takes a special type of person to adopt a greyhound. You need to adopt that dog because you want it to have a life, not because you want a dog. Trust me on that.

That being said, for the most part, greyhounds don't need a big back yard. They're actually one of the only "larger" breeds that can be housed comfortably and properly in an apartment. They are raised living in crates, they spend most of their day in a crate and are content with that. They *NEED* to be exercised by long fast walks or sprints pretty much every single day for their well-being. Then they are content to go back to their small living space.

--

Honestly, if you want a great dog that is fun-loving, energetic, VERY smart, knows its boundaries (and likes to test them), but would lay his life down for you, look into rescuing a boxer. My little guy is 4 years old and has been a very great addition to the family (me and my fiance). He's great, knows when it's time to play and knows when it's time to go nuts...and no doubt about it, he'd lay his life down for me if he had to, that's just how boxers are. Don't mistake that for me saying boxers make good guard dogs, because they don't. But if the time comes, you can be assured they will put their life in front of your safety.

Hope that helps, and remember, this is just my opinion. I also had a great dane for 8 years...and if you can comfortably house a 180 pounder, then that's the beast for you...great dogs as well. Basically a MUCH larger, less-energy, more lazy boxer when it's all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Just be careful if you have a pet rabbit. Or a small child who looks like a rabbit . . .
    Our rabbit refuses to be a victim.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

my family had a whippet for years.
    they are great dogs. i love them.

Quote Originally Posted by deapee View Post
    Greyhounds are great dogs. That said, adopted greyhounds aren't for the person looking for a great family pet. Most of the time, they just aren't the loving, playful, happy, ready-to-protect companion people are looking for in a dog. It takes a special type of person to adopt a greyhound. You need to adopt that dog because you want it to have a life, not because you want a dog. Trust me on that.

That being said, for the most part, greyhounds don't need a big back yard. They're actually one of the only "larger" breeds that can be housed comfortably and properly in an apartment. They are raised living in crates, they spend most of their day in a crate and are content with that. They *NEED* to be exercised by long fast walks or sprints pretty much every single day for their well-being. Then they are content to go back to their small living space.

--

Honestly, if you want a great dog that is fun-loving, energetic, VERY smart, knows its boundaries (and likes to test them), but would lay his life down for you, look into rescuing a boxer. My little guy is 4 years old and has been a very great addition to the family (me and my fiance). He's great, knows when it's time to play and knows when it's time to go nuts...and no doubt about it, he'd lay his life down for me if he had to, that's just how boxers are. Don't mistake that for me saying boxers make good guard dogs, because they don't. But if the time comes, you can be assured they will put their life in front of your safety.

Hope that helps, and remember, this is just my opinion. I also had a great dane for 8 years...and if you can comfortably house a 180 pounder, then that's the beast for you...great dogs as well. Basically a MUCH larger, less-energy, more lazy boxer when it's all said and done.
    We do not want a dog that is extremely energetic and honestly, the greyhounds we saw out at the festival were very laid back. The lady from the adoption agency also said they are very gentle and laid back dogs so they sound like what we might be looking for.

I am not a real dog person but my wife and kids are. I would like to have one that will bark and alert us if someone is trying to break in and that will be good with the kids.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Honestly they are fine dogs , but as long as i have a ranch i would just as soon shoot myself in the foot . it would be both cheaper and faster to heal . any breed of " running dogs " and livestock dont mix unless you abuse one or the other .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I am not a real dog person but my wife and kids are. I would like to have one that will bark and alert us if someone is trying to break in and that will be good with the kids.
    Honestly, there are as many different personalities in dogs out there as there are different types of people.

Greyhounds are good with kids because of their friendly nature. But they are not watch dogs. Dogs can be trained to bark at noises, then come to their owner, but I'm not certain how easy that would be with a greyhound.

It honestly sounds like you might want something like a lab, something that will be content to just lay down by itself, have kids roughhouse it, romp in the back yard by itself if need be, and labs can be trained to be good "watch dogs" or "alert dogs."

I'm not trying to sway your decision, just saying, you may really want to read a good bit about the dog breeds before you make a decision as some may be more suited for your lifestyle than others.

If you have any questions bro, I'll try to help as I've been around dogs just about my whole life. I've owned a lab, german shepherd, great dane, and now a boxer. And my sister had a couple of chihuahuas growing up lol.

--

Anyway, just make sure you talk to a greyhound rescue agency first, because there are two organizations like that here, and from what I understand, they just aren't for everybody.

My uncle had a Greyhound as a pet. It couldn't race anymore cause it got banned. Instead of racing the rabbit it would race the lead dog and pick a fight with it. They could not break him of it.

I loved the way he could run in the pasture and catch rabbits. It would not hurt them, just catch and release. LOL.

He didn't bark but loved to be petted and would come over to you and click his teeth together to get your attention.
    Last edited by Arkie; October 1st, 2007 at 09:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links