What is the root of all this insanity...

This is a discussion on What is the root of all this insanity... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One of the things I knew I wanted to get when I grew up was an all purpose battery of revolvers. Not a huge collection ...

Thread: What is the root of all this insanity...

What is the root of all this insanity...

One of the things I knew I wanted to get when I grew up was an all purpose battery of revolvers. Not a huge collection mind you, but a few choice pieces that would do everything I could ever want to do with a revolver short of game hunting.

And I've been at it for a couple of years. I've assembled a small 4 piece collection that I'm quite happy with: a 686-2, a 642-2, a Rossi 518, and a 629-4. Between them I have a .22 plinker that's tons of fun, an all purpose handgun that can stand in for any of my other guns, a pocket gun that's easy to carry around, and a big bore toy.

A fairly complete battery I'd say, one that should keep me plenty busy for the rest of my life.

But then I can't help but start thinking... boy wouldn't a couple of dedicated .44 Specials be neat because a .44 snubby really would be better than my little .38, and how about a couple of Rugers, especially a SRH, and maybe I really should look for a nice vintage Colt some day... and a spare Taurus model 85 would be nice too... And I don't have a dedicated .38... And how about a vintage pinned and recessed Smith while we're at it, and a model 681, no dash, with a 3" bbl, and CZ is bringing back Dan Wessons one of those would be handy...

What is wrong with me?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    What is wrong with me?
    Nothing Euc!!! That can't be cured by your continued quest for ''one of everything''

I have been driven much same - and have found it a runaway train - only of late have I applied the brakes somewhat.

Lemme see - 2 x M27-2, 1 x M28-2, 1 x M686, 1 x M629-6, 1 x M625-6, 1 x M19-3, I x pre K-22, I x SRH in .44 mag, 1 x SRH in .454, 1 x Raging Bull in .454, 1 x Single Six, 1 x SP-101, 1 x M85 snub, 1 x Webley MkVI, 1 x BFR in 45-70.

Not sure what I've forgotten but hey - this can be a starting shopping list for ya! LOL. Don't fret - yeild man - yield and let the condition flourish. As you get older you'll realize how nice it is to have so much choice, to shoot and fondle!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Hmmmm. What is the root of all this insanity? I have no idea, but I'll get my cognitive guy to give you a call. You know, if it's not one thing, it's your mother.

Here's a tip, the 'wants' never end. I'm not really swayed by revolvers, but I do love custom automatics and fancy-schmancy bean field rifles. I have a titanium Nikon scope on lay-away at Gander and I know of a certain stainless push-feed turn-bolt in .243 Win that would really look good wearing it.

I could buy six knives right now. I just sold a custom stag handled BG-42 Buck 110. I have a stag handled 5" Italian stiletto on order. There's never enough Microtechs, although there a Tuxedo Godson that might come first.

I'd like another 10mm Auto. Perhaps a Tussey. I've never owned a .45 GAP, and just saw a nice Springfield in that calibre. I need 357 SIG barrels for all of my .40 SW's.

My Harley needs more chrome. Perhaps a huffer.

http://www.wbtinc.com/

I need new Tony Lama boots. I want a big Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Harley ring, or perhaps a belt buckle...

And I'm an older guy. Your list could be longer!

Eh, I suppose I should have seen it coming.

My late grandfather had quite the gun collection. He cherished rifles, but the funny thing is he didn't have much in the way of expensive rifles beyond a couple of Remingtons, and all the money there was often in the scope.

Of course he only had 2 scoped rifles out of a double digit collection. The scope only slowed him down most of the time. He didn't have much use for a semiautomatic rifle either. Give him 4 goblins and a bolt action rifle, he'd give you 4 dead goblins in about as many seconds.

But as he got older he stripped his long gun collection down to a Mossberg and about 8 or so rifles capable of handling everything on this continent. The only one he even shot the last 10 years of his life was his beloved Model 60.

Yet in the midst of all this, the man accumulated a large collection of the finest short barreled revolvers he could find. Smith and Wessons were his favorite but he got his mitts on a few Colts as well. When they finally had to clean out his house of all the guns, they turned the place upside down and found 13 of them.

This was years after he'd sold an untold number off to pay off the mortgage on the house and swore he didn't have any more. We speculate he may have had as many as 50 or more at one point, and this is not including all the other handguns he had.

Sadly however these were stolen and sold by an unscrupulous uncle who was having money problems at the time, save for one lone .38 Special that my grandmother personally selected to keep for her own use. We've since forgiven him for this act of treachery, after all they're only guns and we have plenty already, but I like so many of the other grandsons would have cherished having one of grandpa's revolvers.

I've asked to see this revolver before and like an idiot I can't remember the model number, but it's a real beauty. It looks almost exactly like this one.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/sw-mp_2in.jpg

I must confess an impure thought here... I hope I inherit it even though I am unworthy.

Perhaps I have some small part of his personality reincarnated in me and it seeks to reclaim its earthly collection...

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I tried to pull up your pic and got a blank screen. I think I know the gun.

If you feel bad about this covet issue, buy it from him. Play poker and win it. I hate to sound like a guru, but all of the stuff I really wanted had a firm plan of acquisition. Besides, guns are a good investment. I think in +30 years I only lost money on one revolver. That was to a friend who really wanted it.

Links