Another gun goes off by itself

Another gun goes off by itself

This is a discussion on Another gun goes off by itself within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I wonder what really happened. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,299080,00.html COLUMBIA, S.C. A former high school star athlete shot by gun that accidentally discharged in his book bag ...

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Thumbs down Another gun goes off by itself

I wonder what really happened.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,299080,00.html

COLUMBIA, S.C. A former high school star athlete shot by gun that accidentally discharged in his book bag during class pleaded guilty on Tuesday to weapons charges.

Damien Julius Singleton was struck in the leg after the small-caliber pistol accidentally fired at Myrtle Beach High in March. The senior was hospitalized for more than a week with a shattered leg, his attorney Tommy Brittain said.

Singleton brought the gun to school for protection against a man who threatened to kill him, his attorney said.

"We all know bringing a gun on school property is a stupid mistake," Brittain said. "He didn't plan any mischief, but it was very wrong."

Singleton, 18, pleaded guilty to carrying a weapon on school property and to possession of a firearm by a minor. He was sentenced to probation and 500 hours of community service. He had faced up to 10 years in prison.

He also is not allowed within 500 yards of the school where he once shined in both basketball and football.

Singleton was immediately expelled from school after the shooting. He now works for a lumber company and hopes to enroll in a high school to make up his senior year.

Assistant Administrator
    I wonder too ....... maybe something snagged in/on trigger - but it would still be an ND.

Maybe it was a Jennings .25 ... who knows what that might have done!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Maybe it was a Jennings .25 ... who knows what that might have done!

I wonder if I'd get off with probation if I carried my CCW into my daughter's school? Or, do only "star athletes" get such breaks while the rest of us get the book thrown at us?

VIP Member
    No doubt a serious situation, and I don't mean to make light of it, but the story reminded me of an incident my father had when he was a kid in school.

This probably happened in the late 1920's, at a rural Louisiana country school. He had a toy cap pistol and brought it to school with him, probably to show it to his buddies and play with it during recess. Apparently he had it in his shirt somehow, and under his jacket. During class he had his hand on it, sort of secretly playing with it like a kid would do. Of course it was "loaded" with a cap (he says caps were larger/more powerful back then), anyway he has a ND of a cap pistol while class was going on. He said it was easy for the teacher to find him, since he was the only kid in class that had smoke coming out of his shirt. According to him he got a "whipping" from the teacher over it, certainly not because of the "gun", but because he obviously wasn't paying attention in class.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Hmmmmm, Original reports back in March were that he had stuffed the pistol in his pants Mexican Carry style. Maybe things changed. Anyway he was already being recruited by major colleges to play both basketball and football and that is gone. In effect he was fined at least $40,000 which would be the minimum value of a college scholarship so even with probation he didn't get off easy.
    Last edited by FN1910; October 5th, 2007 at 09:12 PM.

So did they do anything about the person who had threatened to kill him?
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

No one was ever named or charged as having actually threating him. It was basically High School students running their mouths. Some suspicion that it may have been gang related but no evidence of actual gang activity in that area other than a few wannabes. It is quite commn in this part of the country for students to carry guns to school claiming that they have been threatened but the only shootings that I have heard of is someone shooting themselves, several of those.

Links