Autistic boy bites tech...tech bites back?

This is a discussion on Autistic boy bites tech...tech bites back? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, so statements like this provoke thought: "A 3-year-old can't have the requisite intent to harm you. Therefore, you can't defend yourself in that way," ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autistic boy bites tech...tech bites back?

Ok, so statements like this provoke thought:
    "A 3-year-old can't have the requisite intent to harm you. Therefore, you can't defend yourself in that way," Brizzi told 6News' Rafael Sanchez.
    It was taken from here:
    http://www.theindychannel.com/news/14253884/detail.html

Full text below:
    Lab Worker Charged In Bitten-Boy Case
    53-Year-Old Expected To Surrender To Police

POSTED: 3:33 pm EDT October 2, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS -- A hospital lab technician who allegedly admitted to police that she bit an autistic boy during a blood test was charged Tuesday with felony battery.

Anne McGlorthon, 53, claimed she bit Victor Buntin, 3, on his shoulder because he bit her as she held him while a colleague drew blood from his arm at St. Vincent Hospital on Sept. 21, police said.

McGlorthon's employer, Mid America Clinical Laboratories, fired her after Victor's parents, Faith and James Buntin, reported the incident.

McGlorthon told investigators that the boy had bitten her forearm first, and that she bit Victor on the shoulder in an attempt to get him to release his bite, according to police. She told police she had a bruise to support her claim, according to police.

Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi said McGlorthon cannot argue self-defense as a legitimate reason for biting the boy.

"A 3-year-old can't have the requisite intent to harm you. Therefore, you can't defend yourself in that way," Brizzi told 6News' Rafael Sanchez.

McGlorthon is expected to surrender to police Tuesday or Wednesday to face the battery charge, Brizzi's office said.

Faith Buntin told 6News she saw McGlorthon put her mouth on the boy's shoulder, and that McGlorthon told her, "it was just a play bite."

Buntin said she overlooked the incident because her son was crying over the testing. Back at home, she said, she saw teeth marks on her son's left shoulder, so her husband drove him back to the hospital, where he was prescribed antibiotics.

Brizzi said he would ask a court to force McGlorthon to provide a blood sample to help medical personnel determine whether she might have transmitted a disease to Victor.

James Buntin said he is relieved that McGlorthon has been charged.

"For someone to do something as nasty as put their mouth on a baby and bite a baby and break the skin and transfer bodily fluid into this child ... that's a big concern for us. We don't want our baby to die," he said.

Mid America Clinical Laboratories is a subcontractor that does blood work for St. Vincent. A hospital spokesman said last week the hospital was "reviewing the capabilities" of Mid America's employees.

Attempts by 6News to reach McGlorthon for comment weren't successful.
    Clearly the lab worker went too far, but the prosecutors statements provoke thought, for me at least... It looks like as far as the prosecutor is concerned is that if a child attacks you, you're not supposed to defend yourself. So what...you're supposed to let them continue taking chunks out....?

How long before they start trying to apply that to adults/adults with disabilities? Anyone see where I'm going with this? So let's take someone with "autism"(and there are varying levels - I know a person personally who functions almost totally normally, clearly knows right from wrong, has a normal job, lives life like a normal person for the most part, but is technically considered autistic) for example. Let's say this person attacks you...violently...how long before the prosecutors start using this kind of word play on you....or replace autistic with mentally retarded or ...slow...or insert excuse of choice here....

I know there are folks on this board who probably have special needs kids. I don't intend any disrespect as I'm honestly looking for legitimate answers. How would you feel? Say your kid latches on to someone and won't release their bite, you're not in the room to help, and the person can't get them off so they decide to bite back in an last ditch effort to get the kid to break off. What's your limit? Do you fault the person getting chomped?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

okay. yes, every living being has the right to defend themselves. no question. but how do you justify biting a 3 YEAR OLD child? with autism, no less? there is a universe of difference between defending yourself from a screwed up 13 yr. old child who means to hurt you, and a 3 yr. old barely out of diapers, acting out of a childish instinct. how hard would it have been to just s t e p a w a y from that baby? she did it to release his hold on her? get real. the fact that she had the thought in her head to bite a baby in the first place makes me question any lame excuse she might have.

i know the spectrum of autism; my oldest daughter is 12, and has a more severe form. higher functioning individuals aren't as common as hollywood would like you to think. in any case, the child having autism is irrelevant. what is relevant is that a 53 yr. old professional bit a 3 yr. old child, who meant no harm, and drew blood. if anyone ever, ever, bit my 3 year old, i would end them. period.

How about prying the child's jaw open? but biting, give me a break. At one point in my life a drove a school bus for handy capped kids, some autistic etc. they can be pretty strong and biting was part of it. you learn to stay away form their mouths.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    okay. yes, every living being has the right to defend themselves. no question. but how do you justify biting a 3 YEAR OLD child? with autism, no less? there is a universe of difference between defending yourself from a screwed up 13 yr. old child who means to hurt you, and a 3 yr. old barely out of diapers, acting out of a childish instinct. how hard would it have been to just s t e p a w a y from that baby? she did it to release his hold on her? get real. the fact that she had the thought in her head to bite a baby in the first place makes me question any lame excuse she might have.

i know the spectrum of autism; my oldest daughter is 12, and has a more severe form. higher functioning individuals aren't as common as hollywood would like you to think. in any case, the child having autism is irrelevant. what is relevant is that a 53 yr. old professional bit a 3 yr. old child, who meant no harm, and drew blood. if anyone ever, ever, bit my 3 year old, i would end them. period.
    +1 !!

My 4 year old son has Autism. If anyone did something like that to my son they would be eating my fist.

She feared for her life?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post

I am FURIOUS that an adult....a trained medical professional, would choose..YES CHOOSE to bite a child. As a nurse, I have been bit, slapped, punched, kicked, spit on, hair pulled, and more by children and adults. Not once have I resorted to violence. Yes the 3 yr old needed to have blood drawn. But there are ways to subdue a child without hurting them. Multiple techniques could have been used to calm the child.
    1. Always, Always involve the parents!
    2. Ketamine lollipop?
    3. More staff to help hold the child in such a way that no one is hurt.
    We once needed 4 adults to hold down a 4 yr old after surgery
    until his mother could come to the PACU.
    4. Distraction techniques.
    There are other ways too but I am too mad to think of them right now. Firing isn't enough for this woman. She should be brought up on charges. Children with developmental issues need even more understanding. An autistic child does not have many ways to cope with this kind of trauma. He reacted the only way he knew how. In his mind, strangers were hurting him. How many of you guys have kids? Normal 3 yr olds bite too. My thoughts and prayers are with this kid. Wish I could meet this excuse of a woman. Maybe someone will tie her down and bite her.

Administrator

Post Self~Defense Advice For Hospital Workers

Hospital lab technicians should always carry OC Spray, Flex~Cuffs and a Taser in order to subdue little rogue infants that pose a deadly threat to them.

This kid was three years old but, I'm sure you have heard the expression THE TERRIBLE TWOs - It's the tiny two year old kids that can be the most dangerous.
    That's when you need a shotgun fully stoked with Less Than Lethal Rubber Pacifier Slugs.
    Aim for the Cookie Monster on the Huggies (C.O.D. Center Of Diaper) as that will usually be a one shot stop.
    Do not aim for the head as their immature little skulls are not fully developed yet.
    If you are unarmed and you absolutely must bite (as a last resort) then do not waste a bite in the shoulder area.
    Use the Tyson maneuver and take off an ear in order to effect the quickest stop.
    Then call 911 right away and report the incident before the little kid can go literally crying to his/her lawyer.

On A Serious Note: My Niece (She Is Such An Angel) works with two autistic kids. They are older. One kid kicks and bites and pushes her constantly. She has the patience of a Saint and she really loves those kids. She has never once raised a hand to those two kids or injured or attacked them physically in any way.
    There is never any reason for an adult to retaliate with physical violence or abuse against any three year child.
    Just my opinion on that.
    There are VERY Humane, professional, and harmless ways to handle little children.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Wow. I cant imagine biting a 3 year old no matter the reason.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Hospital lab technicians should always carry OC Spray, Flex~Cuffs and a Taser in order to subdue little rogue infants that pose a deadly threat to them.

This kid was three years old but, I'm sure you have heard the expression THE TERRIBLE TWOs - It's the tiny two year old kids that can be the most dangerous.
    That's when you need a shotgun fully stoked with Less Than Lethal Rubber Pacifier Slugs.
    Aim for the Cookie Monster on the Huggies (C.O.D. Center Of Diaper) as that will usually be a one shot stop.
    Do not aim for the head as their immature little skulls are not fully developed yet.
    If you are unarmed and you absolutely must bite (as a last resort) then do not waste a bite in the shoulder area.
    Use the Tyson maneuver and take off an ear in order to effect the quickest stop.
    Then call 911 right away and report the incident before the little kid can go literally crying to his/her lawyer.

whew! i needed that. thanks for defusing this thread.

Well, like tk4878, I've had quite a bit of experience restraining and "assisting in compliance", with peds and adults. I have had people try all of the assaults mentioned, but they did not effect (including two "shankings"). Bottom line, unless the intervention is voluntary, and by resistance the patient is effectively refusing treatment, you are generally (varying by state) allowed to use "force necessary to stop the assault." For me, that has included head and elbow butts, and a plex jab, on adults; children, I would either package properly before proceding, or use joint locks.

My perspective may be a bit different: the patient never has the right to physical contact, and it will be rebuffed appropriately. Again,this is in context of a necessary/emergent intervention that is not voluntary.

I also agree, biting a 3 year old should cost someone a license.

BTW, a 3 year old damn well does have "requisite intent"- that is why they will be expelled from day-care/preschool/etc., for biting.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Not the way I would have handled it, but I think it got blown way out of proportion. I personally would have stopped the procedure, and if the little guy refused to let go, stuffed an ammonia inhalant up his nostril at which point the biting would definately stop. Then get parental permission to restrain the child (papoose). On the other hand, where is the law with reference to the child battering the hospital employee. If the child gets a free pass just because he was getting blood drawn, can't we be a little forgiving to the lady who had some rugrat knawing on her arm? Alot of you overprotective parents that would go and punch someones lights out for protecting themselves from your misbehaving child need to learn how to control your children instead of assaulting innocents that are forced to smack your children because you have failed to parent properly.

Shhhhh! We don't say things like that!!!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    Alot of you overprotective parents that would go and punch someones lights out for protecting themselves from your misbehaving child need to learn how to control your children instead of assaulting innocents that are forced to smack your children because you have failed to parent properly.
    How dare you have the audacity to say that those parents of that child failed to parent properly! Do you have a child with Autism? Do you know what it's like to deal with their physical and emotional problems on a daily basis? Do you spend your days taking your child to various therapies? Do you spend thousands of dollars a year on those therapies because insurance only covers a fraction of the cost or not all all because they call them "experimental"? Do you wait by the phone for the school to call because he's having a bad day and needs to be picked up? Do you have to prepare special foods and meals because your child's body can't process most of the "traditional" foods we all eat? Do you have to deal with the stares and whispers from people when you go through a store and your child starts flapping his arms and making screeching noises because he's excited over a round light in the ceiling? If so, go ahead and make your comments. If not, I suggest you keep your ignorant opinions to yourself! You know nothing of what it's like to have to live with this condition and the stress it puts on the child and their families 24/7! You know nothing about the situation those parents are in and what their life is like, let alone what that child's life is like and how he perceives the world. You comments are rude, insensitive, and and show complete and utter ignorance! I hope you never have to know the hell of what raising a child with Autism is like (no, they are not all cute little Rain Man's with special talents), then again, it may give you a little more compassion for people's individual situations before you go making broad generalizations about people's parenting skills.

And damn straight I'm over-protective of my son; he needs it!

Administrator
    I dont think we are talking about a bratty kid, we are talking about a 3 year old with a problem. If the boy was a normal kid, yeah, it might be a parenting problem, but the kid isnt normal. We dont know the degree of his problems, I dont think it matters. It still doesnt excuse the tech's actions though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont think we are talking about a bratty kid, we are talking about a 3 year old with a problem. If the boy was a normal kid, yeah, it might be a parenting problem, but the kid isnt normal. We dont know the degree of his problems, I dont think it matters. It still doesnt excuse the tech's actions though.
    No, we're definitely not talking about a typically developing child. These little guys (I say guys because most kids with Autism are boys) have lots of issues, among them being hypersensitive to touch, as well as all the other senses. What would feel like a needle jab to us, might have felt like that tech was trying to put a 2x4 through his arm to that kid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links