Need some Help!!! - Shooting event for women

This is a discussion on Need some Help!!! - Shooting event for women within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, last night while talking to my wife she dropped a challenge to me. So I am here to ask for some help, especially from ...

Thread: Need some Help!!! - Shooting event for women

Ok, last night while talking to my wife she dropped a challenge to me. So I am here to ask for some help, especially from any of the women out there.

My wife wants me to organize an event at our local gun club to help promote shooting to female shooters. Now the question is what or how do I do this. We have a large clubhouse that also has kitchen facilities, indoor range, outdoor range, trap, and skeet.

I was thinking of organizing an event that was on a Saturday that would have things women like, Avon, Stampin' Up, all those types of things in the club house along with free coffee and hot chocolate.

Along with this little get together we would have all of our ranges open for women to try shooting different firearms free of charge. They would run though a quick 5 minute range safety briefing and then could walk up to any station and get one on one training on the firearm and let them shoot 5-10 rounds through it if they want. This way they could get a wide variety of guns to choose from and see other women out there doing it.

I would also contact the Women's organization of the NRA and see if I could get a booth for them also. Do you guys/gals have any ideas about the above or anything else???

Please help me on this one. It would be a great excuse to have to go out and buy another gun too. Most of my stuff is large caliber and I only have one 9mm, so another one would really come in handy.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Tell every woman that you see that there is a tupperware party at the gun range. That should boost your attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by sea_demon2003 View Post
    Tell every woman that you see that there is a tupperware party at the gun range. That should boost your attendance.
    Kinda what I was thinking!!!!
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Contact your local area platoon of Mary Kay Commando's to help spread the word and offer them space for a booth too.

Other than that ya got me
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Look for a company called Beauticontrol in your area. They have sales reps that will come out and do a day spa kind of thing for the ladies..and men if any are inclined. It doesn't cost anything to have them show up, they use it as a showcase to sell their products
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Check with Suzi Rouse at Oklahoma City Gun Club. She puts on a Women's Shooting Event every year that usually brings in about 300+ women! They shoot .22s, pistols, AR-15s, and shotguns. It is a great event and a great way to introduce women to shooting!
    http://www.okcgunclub.org/women.html

I don't think the Avon/Tupperwere idea is such a great idea. (A little patronizing?) Women will come without the makeup.

If you could make it an event that the range could host...like Family Day or like an Open House type event. Make up some flyers about free one on one instruction in a female friendly (non-intimidating) atmosphere. Get your wife to spread around the info to her friends. Call other ranges that have Ladies night to get ideas. Tell your guy friends to come out and bring their wives and daughters. The idea about spa treatments is good. Have a raffle with shooting lessons as the prize. Involve the local law enforcement who may already have a community outreach program. They could have a booth and give out info on personal and home safety points. Have gun stores come out to showcase their stock. Make it a charity event to benefit a local womens shelter or childrens home. Have a restaurant come out and sell hot dogs, BBQ plates, etc with a % to go to a charity.
    There are lots of good that can come out of this. Dang! Wish I lived close enough to come! Keep us updated.

VIP Member
    The NRA has the Women on Target program.

http://www.nrahq.org/women/wot.asp

The National Wild Turkey Federation has the Women in the Outdoors.

http://www.womenintheoutdoors.org/wito/?SUBSITE=wito

You can do your own as well. Make it interesting and fun. Do not bring out spas, tupperware or beauty vendors. That is not why women will come to the range.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Administrator
    Suggestion:
    This is a serious and important topic and the thread originator is asking/looking for honest help and thoughtful suggestions.
    The lighthearted humor is appreciated but, try to add something useful and constructive to accompany it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    My suggestion is to use realistic human form Bad Guy targets rather than standard bullseye type targets.
    That would be because most newbie females that attend will be interested in learning shooting for personal defense of self, kids, and family.
    Seeing HOLES in aggressive bad guy type targets would be much more effective in swaying females over to self-defensive shooting.
    It helps to look at kill zone holes in a BG target and a "new to shooting" female can subliminally associate their shooting results on a human target with actually STOPPING a REAL LIFE rapist, mugger, home invader, or attacker.
    It makes learning to shoot against a deadly threat seem to be a much more necessary endeavor with a real world highly useful purpose.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Didn't have much time for a response last night. Here is more.

It almost sounds like your intention is to run a continuous event where women just stop in, shoot some guns and leave. I would recommend against that, but it is your event. As for bringing out Avon, Tupperware et. al. I would still not do it, but again, your event.

First you will need a lot of volunteers. You have four ranges and a clubhouse to staff. Each range requires a minimum of two people and the clubhouse probably the same. So that is ten not including one person in charge of it all.

Money. You will need more money than you might think. Make sure you have either budget from the club or sponsors.

Insurance. Check with a local agent on event insurance. You wouldn't want to lose your club facilities because of an accident. You don't even have to think something as bad as someone being shot, think slip and fall in your restroom. Most clubs have insurance but it covers members only.

First aid. When my club runs WITO events we make a "donation" to the local Rescue Squad and they come out to our property for the event to handle any injuries or medical events (heart attack etc).

Publicity. Work with everyone you can find to publicize the event. Typically you want to have some sort of registration. Also charge a fee, which can be nominal. If it is free then people will value it as such and will not show up even if registered. Plus you need an idea of how much food and drink you will need. Also how much staff you will need.

Cleaning. Nothing will turn off a woman or group of women faster than dirty facilities. A week before (big stuff) and the day before the event you will need volunteers to clean everything up.

Now I do the WITO and WoT stuff, so there are other components. Typically you have some door prizes, maybe some small awards for the women to take away.

Hopefully the folks you intend to have manning the ranges are good instructors and very safe shooters. If possible have as many women as possible manning the ranges. That is tough to do with the staff level you require. I usually can't get more than about a third of my staffing as women even for women's events.

We have a CRSO - Chief Range Safety Officer and our other ranges have RSOs. The CRSO runs all ranges for the event and the RSOs run their assigned ranges. These are typically in addition to instructors manning the shooting points. The CRSO also gives the safety briefing at the beginning of the event and insures all staff are up on the safety rules, facility info and anything else that pertains to the event.

Guns.

Handgun and Rifle - Low recoil to start. Let the women move up if they wish. I have only had one first time shooter not shoot a 357 Magnum. Also stay with smaller frame guns and rifles.

Shotguns - Get light loads and use 12 gauges if possible. Avoid pumps or bolt shotguns if possible as they deliver the sharpest impulse recoil of any action type. Semi-autos and over-unders are best. The fun will be them breaking a clay and a 12 gauge gives them the best possibility to do that. I always put my size 4 wife on station 7 with a 12 gauge. After the other women see my wife crush a clay with a 12 gauge they all go for it. A 20 gauge is a low as I would go. Also if you can have a youth model shotgun on hand for the smaller women.

Have good hearing protection available. I have had people leave the indoor range because of the noise level. Make sure it is appropriate as well. i.e. don't have big muffs for the shotgun rifle shooting.

Have good eye protection available. Don't grab the really scratched up stuff in a bucket from the range house (yeah that happened to me once).

Have some long sleeve cover shirts available in various sizes. Most women won't think about flying hot brass when they dress for your event. Given styles you will want to be able to loan then a shirt they can button up.

Close the club for the event. Only the women and staff should be on the property for the event.

Two way communications for all locations (we use the FRS radios). This is good for moving groups of shooters, summoning medical help, getting other supplies as necessary.

I know there is more, but that will keep you busy for awhile. You can PM me for more info or with specific questions. I've done a few of these before.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

+1 on QKshooters idea about the BG shaped targets...also have plenty of information and patient instructors on hand as women tend to learn faster and better than men on this particular subject. Men seem to have some preconceived notions about being able to handle guns and women seem to just want to learn about it. Also the idea about having several types of guns available is a great plan...I was at the range yesterday and saw a young woman flinching from the snappy recoil of a 9mm and actually shy away from it. I finally got her to try a full size 1911 and she thought it was easier to handle. She took it the rest of the way and rented a 1911 to learn on. YMMV...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Serious here:

Provide a meal. A meal the men will prepare, that is open to the family. Women will show up just to watch the men cook for a change. In the retail business that I used to work in, the theory was if you wanted the women to come in, then the kids had to want to come too.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Senior Moderator
    I have to run back to work here in about two minutes, and hopefully I'll post more when I get home, but first let me say that I agree with QK and Scott. The "human" BG type targets will get the best self-defense response. Also, nothing will turn your potential shooters away quite like dirty facilities. Make sure they are clean, and well lit (if applicable). Also, have plenty of staff on hand to answer questions and assist.

That's all I can say right now. I'll think more on it and hopefully have more suggestions by the time I get home this evening.

Good idea, though. More people should do this kind of thing.

Sponsored Links