WHAT on Earth is Happening to TEXAS?

This is a discussion on WHAT on Earth is Happening to TEXAS? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Can any of y'all Texans EXPLAIN this: Plano, TX: "Officials lay bricks in symbolic start for Muslim center" Dallas Morning News ^ | June 14, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHAT on Earth is Happening to TEXAS?

Unhappy WHAT on Earth is Happening to TEXAS?

Can any of y'all Texans EXPLAIN this:

Plano, TX: "Officials lay bricks in symbolic start for Muslim center"
    Dallas Morning News ^ | June 14, 2005 | LINDA STEWART BALL

Posted on 06/21/2005 12:19:24 PM EDT by I_Publius

PLANO – The Ismaili Muslim community announced Tuesday that it is building a $6.5 million worship and community center in Plano, where it has found a warm welcome.

Gov. Rick Perry flew in to lay the first ceremonial brick for the center's foundation. It was a symbolic gesture since the site for the new center will be a few miles northeast of the Gleneagles Country Club in Plano, where the foundation ceremony was held.

The governor, who is friends with the Ismaili Muslims' spiritual leader, His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan, said he was honored to participate.

"Our culture is enriched and our society strengthened by a diverse mixture of traditions, heritages and faiths," Mr. Perry said. "While differences may exist on the surface, there is a common hope for the future that dwells in the heart of every Texan."

(Excerpt) Read more at dallasnews.com ...

Okay, now I'd feel just a tad better if this group had exercised the same type of community spirit when the most recent Christian Church was started or the most recent Jewish Temple was started....and I'm betting the answer is "NO." SOOOOO as far as Plano goes for a potential retirement community for me and mine? Naaaaaah
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

It's all part of this "political correctness" crap....frickin politicians. Get out there and drum up political support to get re-elected, etc. etc. We now celebrate "Cinco de Mayo" because of all the Mexicans. Each Party sees all these ripe voters out there and feel obligated to get on their knees to placate (A-kiss) every darn one of them....I may have to do a bio search on Perry to see if he is a True or Transplanted Texan!
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Whoa, guys, is that the right response?

Oh, we have problems in my area. We have a large concentration of Hmong. Last hunting season one of then snapped, took an SKS and mowed down a family. As difficult as that is to process without feeling anger, not every Hmong is a criminal.

If Sarah Brady came here and stated, "Every gun owner is a potential murderer," we would inundate her facts and anecdotal evidence.

You mention that this Islamic group got the spotlight and a recent Christian program did not. Are you mad because you got short-changed, or are you mad because these people are Islamic.

BTW, I have to know this. It's a deal-breaker for me. Please clarify your stance.

Not from Plano so don't know what to tell you there.

Eh, it doesn't really bother me. Most Muslims are to me like those of the Jewish faith, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, etc. I don't agree with what they think and I don't care for their solicitation, but the people who follow some semi-orthodox versions of these faiths aren't directly harmful to me just because that's what they do.

The only time I get upset about stuff like this is when it's piped down to me. Like I said, I don't care for solicitation. Come to my doorstep and you'll be excused, at gunpoint if necessary.

However this does offend me.

I do find it wrong however that our fearless governor has laid the first brick. I've never heard of this figure of the state involving himself in any other establishment.

If Governor Perry were in fact a Muslim himself this would not bother me in the slightest. If he was of the New Age philosophy that all religions are the same it would not bother me in the slightest. On the other hand you cannot convince me that on his census form he checks anything other than "Christian".

I tolerate almost anything in all honesty. But I don't endorse anything I don't agree with. We seem to think nowadays that tolerating something means supporting it. No, tolerance means you leave it be because there are better things to do with your time than hatemonger. I don't go to the homes of people who have different religious beliefs and verbally abuse them for example. I can't say that for some people who yell at me for not showing them tolerance. But neither would I contribute anything even symbolically to these causes.

This makes me politically incorrect. I for instance have never once struck, hated, or done anything criminal or otherwise hate driven to a person of another color. That is tolerance. Yet when I say I oppose an amendment that makes Spanish and English the official state languages, I am called a rascist because I didn't endorse the so called minority agenda.

However this does offend me.

I do find it wrong however that our fearless governor has laid the first brick.
    Why this response? An elected official is the head of government for all political, ethnic and religious groups.

Do we have to elect a separate President for blacks because Bush is white? If I am stopped and ticketed by a female Samoan LEO is my citation invalid because I am male and European? Do New York rednecks get a free pass because Hillary is, well, Hillary?

The former Governor of Wisconsin, Tommy Thompson (Bush's Secretary of Health) was a guy who really knew how to milk a photo-op. He'd go to a goat-roping if he though an undecided voter was there. In fact, my wife's actual Trek bike was once used for pictures in his office.

Islamics are not all terrorists, Massad Ayoob is part Arab. Not all Germans want world domination, I'm part German. Not all Democrats are anti-gun, we have several reps in Wisconsin that voted for CCW licenses for citizens.

So what if Governor Perry laid the first brick? If I thought it would have brought peace I would have troweled the mortar in for him myself.

I think Texans have to understand that most of Texas is made up by people from New Jersey who came there to settle years ago. In recent times their family makeup has blended through and we have the same sort of stuff happening in Texas as in California. It has happened on the east coast also, the new yorkers come down the coast and settle in the southern states. Bound to happen.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    Islamics are not all terrorists, Massad Ayoob is part Arab. Not all Germans want world domination, I'm part German. Not all Democrats are anti-gun, we have several reps in Wisconsin that voted for CCW licenses for citizens.

So what if Governor Perry laid the first brick? If I thought it would have brought peace I would have troweled the mortar in for him myself.
    You have one part of a valid point: Not all Muslims are terrorists. Heck a lot of my students are muslim. But thus far all the terrorists that have directly targeted and attacked this country have been Muslim.

All politics are local. The Dems in your area voting for CCW know their constituency, is all. But the RAT platform and the RATS in Congress are anti-gun. In fact, I'll bet your STATE RAT platform is antigun or has some antigun planks they are thinking of trying.

I object to the Governor laying the first brick if he is pandering to a vocal minority for the purpose of being PC. If he lays the first brick on Jewish synagogues or Christian churches that's okay. But I'll bet if you check he has not and that is simply wrong. Do them all, or do none of them.

I'm also not too impressed with Mas Ayoob. I think he's a decent writer and does a SUPERB job of self promotion. Kudos to him for that, but I'd pay more attention to what Clint Smith says or heck even Jeff Cooper, even if he is an old codger. I think the old saying "You live and learn or you don't live long" applies to him, nicely. I also love his philosophy and quotes in his commentaries and books.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Then I must ask you this Tourist.

This same man did not in any way endorse or attend when my hometown church "re opened" after spending 10 years remodeling the facility.

Are the Muslim voters more important to him because they're Muslim? That's what it looks like to me.

Edit: By the way my hometown church's remodeling was a 20 million dollar project as opposed to a 6.5 million dollar one.

Tourist - Although only my opinion....YES, it's the right response.
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

My point is the 'tarred with the same brush' issue.

Prospector, I'm sure that you are a literate, well respected man in your area. In fact, I'll quess that the decisions you make are pretty much judged by the people around you to be correct and thoughtful. Here's some advice. Don't go to State Street in Madison, Wisconsin. You'll be ridiculed as a six-thumbed alien in cheap pants.

Nothing you stand for will be main-stream there. You may know how to detail strip a dozen weapons, but you'll starve to death trying to apply that trade on State Street. You don't have a thorough background of any social sciences or philosophy, you probably make lousy cappuccinio, you dress funny and you talk like a John Wayne movie.

Your take on politics is 'so 1950's.' You don't know whether to listen to 'Ashanti' or spend it over a toasted bun. Your truck sets off environmental air meters that haven't sounded an alarm since the city sued Oscar Mayer. You actually tried to order a burger and fries at Teddywedgers until their teenage manager told you to take your unwanted redneck manifesto back to Hazzard County.

On State Street, you're an enemy to the planet. Two of your kind were actually taken to the Wisconsin Supreme Court for hate speech.

And you know something, Prospector, while you would feel right at home in my gunroom, to a large section of Americans you're a dinosaur that's going to get someone killed.

Being American doesn't mean we live to make choices for everybody, it means we make choices so everyone can live.

During the 1960's riots, they arrested a hippie here in Madison. He went on to become one of our most well-respected Mayors, sat in office for almost twenty years, while revitalizing much of the city both economically and culturally. I'm sure glad the rednecks didn't beat the crap out of him and run him out of town.

Assistant Administrator
    I object to the Governor laying the first brick if he is pandering to a vocal minority for the purpose of being PC. If he lays the first brick on Jewish synagogues or Christian churches that's okay. But I'll bet if you check he has not and that is simply wrong. Do them all, or do none of them.
    Ex - that echoes my own thoughts, very succinctly.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thumbs down Granola Land seems to be GROWING

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    My point is the 'tarred with the same brush' issue.

Prospector, I'm sure that you are a literate, well respected man in your area. In fact, I'll quess that the decisions you make are pretty much judged by the people around you to be correct and thoughtful. Here's some advice. Don't go to State Street in Madison, Wisconsin. You'll be ridiculed as a six-thumbed alien in cheap pants.

Nothing you stand for will be main-stream there. You may know how to detail strip a dozen weapons, but you'll starve to death trying to apply that trade on State Street. You don't have a thorough background of any social sciences or philosophy, you probably make lousy cappuccinio, you dress funny and you talk like a John Wayne movie.

Your take on politics is 'so 1950's.' You don't know whether to listen to 'Ashanti' or spend it over a toasted bun. Your truck sets off environmental air meters that haven't sounded an alarm since the city sued Oscar Mayer. You actually tried to order a burger and fries at Teddywedgers until their teenage manager told you to take your unwanted redneck manifesto back to Hazzard County.

On State Street, you're an enemy to the planet. Two of your kind were actually taken to the Wisconsin Supreme Court for hate speech.

And you know something, Prospector, while you would feel right at home in my gunroom, to a large section of Americans you're a dinosaur that's going to get someone killed.

Being American doesn't mean we live to make choices for everybody, it means we make choices so everyone can live.

During the 1960's riots, they arrested a hippie here in Madison. He went on to become one of our most well-respected Mayors, sat in office for almost twenty years, while revitalizing much of the city both economically and culturally. I'm sure glad the rednecks didn't beat the crap out of him and run him out of town.
    Tourist: See, I'm one of those rednecks, I guess. I was born and raised in the south. Graduated from the University of Alabama even. I really believe in all those old 50's values. I have buddies who died for them. But me and Prospector? We're not alone. Just look at the 2004 election map. Those who also seem to believe as we do, well they live in those RED STATES. Ever see that map of the United States that has all the counties in the USA and how they voted by color (red and blue)? Pretty impressive. I even got it on a T-shirt from Newsmax.com so I could drive the liberals at my school nuts on Teacher Planning Days.

You know why they call the state of California Granola Land? Because it's full of fruits and nuts and flakes. They seem to be spreading. I knew they had gotten into Seattle and basically ruined it, thank God not when I was stationed out there. This is probably not the thread for this so I'll start a new thread. But suffice to say, your post is exactly why I will NEVER travel north of the Mason Dixon Line!

'Soldier,

Oh, I agree, I'm a southerner at heart, my mama just gave birth on a trip north. ;) I had a 1989 Mustang, and I always looking for a gearshift knob with a CSA Battle Flag on it.

My intention was to show that everyone is a "fish out of water" some place in this country. For many years, I never went south. After all, as a biker I had seen "Easy Rider."

Not inferring anyone here, but as this thread started, you know that many people consider any Islamic person a potenial terrorist. As a southerner, you might enjoy this.

The front page of our local paper reports that an 81 year old Klansman was finally found guilty of manslaughter. It's a big story here because one of the three boys he killed was from Madison.

You're probably saying, "Well, Chico, that's not me. I don't know any Klansmen, except for some very old men who are part of society I find repugnant. That story is a stain upon my home and family!"

Too bad, son. Not in Madison. You're a 'southerner.' We've seen enough of "The Dukes of Hazzard" and "In The Heat of the Night" to know what really goes on down there. You just changed your 'day face' because laws and public outcry forced you. But let the sun set and it's all white sheets and rebel yells. You see, all of Islam is potential terrorists and all southerners are potential racists.

I think we ought to go to that Islamic building project. Haul some crushed rock, talk to some of the faithful. Look them right in the eyes.

I'll bet we find some good people, searching for God, and as hurt and disgusted with world events as you are.

DC Founder
    Well, I guess I am one of those rednecks, as well. Born and raised in Texas among the other "unwashed" to your Madison snobs. I'll tell you what the problem I have with Muslims is. If they don't agree with the deeds of their "brothers" then why the hell don't thy come out and say so. Instead they sit tight lipped and don't say squat to distance themselves from the terrorists. Maybe in Madison your Muslims all admit that the terrorists are a bunch of murdering scum that should be rounded up and summarily shot for war crimes against this country, but I haven't heard it happen anywhere else.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

why the hell don't thy come out and say so
    Come to one of my family reunions and tell my cousins what you think of the mafia.

Bumper, these people have seen their countrymen strap explosives to their bodies and smash jumbo jets. In their own section of the world warlords rule, and people disappear for open opposition.

We've had to bring the force of our entire armed forces to bear to just to lessen the brutality. And in so doing, the poppy growers rake in the best crop in years.

Sleeper cells are already in this country. Do you really expect these innocent people to speak. Does the concept of 'witness protection' paint a picture for you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links