Whoa.....what did I do to myself?

Whoa.....what did I do to myself?

This is a discussion on Whoa.....what did I do to myself? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As you may know, today I started a new job. Left the one I have had for 2 years to go to this new place. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whoa.....what did I do to myself?

Unhappy Whoa.....what did I do to myself?

As you may know, today I started a new job. Left the one I have had for 2 years to go to this new place.

Wow, am I thinking I screwed up! This place is NOTHING like it was portrayed to me to be. Looks like I may be living there. The fellow who is the contract maintenance Engineer right now says he hasn't been able to take a vacation for 3 years. Can't plan anything with his family because he gets called in so often and was shocked to find out that I had taken the job when I have 5 kids all with after school activities and functions that I want to attend.

So, you guessed it boys and girls, I am in talks with the old job about the possibility of coming back on board. With any luck I will be able to just scoot right back into my old job and I swear, I will never gripe about it again.

Good Lord.....what a mess. I am not a happy camper tonight folks.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Lead Moderator
    Hope it all works out o.k. for you. 5 kids? Guess you keep busy outside of work alright.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    As you may know, today I started a new job. Left the one I have had for 2 years to go to this new place.

Wow, am I thinking I screwed up! This place is NOTHING like it was portrayed to me to be. Looks like I may be living there. The fellow who is the contract maintenance Engineer right now says he hasn't been able to take a vacation for 3 years. Can't plan anything with his family because he gets called in so often and was shocked to find out that I had taken the job when I have 5 kids all with after school activities and functions that I want to attend.

So, you guessed it boys and girls, I am in talks with the old job about the possibility of coming back on board. With any luck I will be able to just scoot right back into my old job and I swear, I will never gripe about it again.

Good Lord.....what a mess. I am not a happy camper tonight folks.
    Been there myself.

Rule 1: The grass is not always greener.

Rule 2: Never burn bridges at your previous job.

Good luck!

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Hey Mike,
    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. All I could do was the next right thing that was in front of me. It turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me, although I couldn't see it at the time. Faith goes a long way in these situations. Rex
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

JD
    Administrator
    Well, it was worth a try! Good thing you learned quick and your old job hasn't replaced you yet.

Just one reason why it's always best to leave on good terms from your old job.

Hope all goes well!

Did this July myself. Was in a panic for a few days, but figured out that not much was different. I have a worse enviroment, but better opportunities. Give it a chance, but don't be afraid to walk, it's a great feeling, I was 42 the first time I walked up to someone and said "screw it".

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Been in my new job for little over a month,the grass is definitely greener! More money=worth everything,less stress! I'm happy.

I'm sorry it didn't work better for you,hope you can get things figured out.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member
    Hooweee, Mike. Sends a shiver down me. Every time I grumble about my work I get an email from my colleagues in Iraq. Ahh, perspective.

Distinguished Member
    I take it that your power-ball ticket also was not a winner???

Best of luck.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Been there myself.

Rule 1: The grass is not always greener.

Rule 2: Never burn bridges at your previous job.

Good luck!
    As to rule #1: Ain't that the truth. Sometimes it isn't grass, it might just be mold that looked like grass from the other side of the fence.

As to rule #2: I learned that a long, long time ago. I left on very good terms. I always resist the urge to burn bridges, even if it means smiling and taking a bit bite of a poo sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Been in my new job for little over a month,the grass is definitely greener! More money=worth everything,less stress! I'm happy.

I'm sorry it didn't work better for you,hope you can get things figured out.
    I wish my new job had turned out half as well as yours did. More money? Yes. Less stress? Nope....looks like it will be a ton more stress.

I better get the mustard, just in case there is a poo sandwich happens to be in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    I take it that your power-ball ticket also was not a winner???

Best of luck.

Z
    Didn't get a single number.....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Everything will work out OK for you Mike.
    You would always be wondering if you passed up something better unless you gave it a shot.
    Wise words about not using the flame-thrower on the path behind you especially if you have to hurry up and go back the way you came.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Mike, WFSU is looking for an engineering manager in Tallahassee Fl. Weekends and nights off. 8 to 5. http://www.wfsu.org/about/jobs.html#eng
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Thanks for the heads up Joe but, after moving away from the Gulf Coast right after Katrina, I'm not about to move my family to Florida.

Besides we like it here in Tennessee too much.

I'll post an update tonight one way or the other. By tonight hopefully I will either be working at the old place again or, the new place will seem better.

Updates to follow....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Good luck man. I worked Katrina and every other storm for the last 6 years so I understand compleatly. I moved inland to south Georgia, I'm just far enough away from the gulf to be safe and visit if I want to.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Administrator
    Its your first day Mike! Relax, and take it all in. You might have just talked with one disgruntled employee. Dont let one person paint your picture of the place. Maybe he's the one you are brought in to replace.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links