SCOTUS expands Eminent Domain

This is a discussion on SCOTUS expands Eminent Domain within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is bad folks. In a 5-4 decision, the Supremes have decided that the government has the right to confiscate and redistribute privately-owned land under ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCOTUS expands Eminent Domain

This is bad folks. In a 5-4 decision, the Supremes have decided that the government has the right to confiscate and redistribute privately-owned land under eminent domain, for other than public use. In the specific case, residential land was confiscated to make way for a commercial development. The decision leaves it to the States to come up with controls to prevent abuse by localities. As if that will happen.

Do you have any doubts what would happen to a perfectly packaged 2A challenge under this court?
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    If the eminent domain ruling bothers you, http://www.ij.org/

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    This ruling is absolutely unthinkable.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Lead Moderator
    If I understand the ruling it basically means that NO ONE'S house is ever going to be save from money grubbing developers again.

Someone please tell me I've got it wrong.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I shared my opinion on this with my wife about ten years ago. Follow me.

Baby-boomers are a big demographic slice of the pie. While we started to save later in life, when we did, we did it with a vengance. We stuck money in now failed 401(K) plans and stocks. We bought land. We sprawled and developed new land and subdivisions where nothing stood before.

The promise of this plan was that we could invest in "tax deferred" items. When we retired we would enter a lower percentage tax bracket and contribute less.

I told me wife that the government will never let that much revenue, land, investment and working capital fall dormant to a big group of old guys so we can buy a better grade of cat food. Rather than settle for less and give us more, the government will find a 'legal' way to negate the life's work and savings of the boomers.

I put about $3K into my 401(K) plans over 30 years, barely contributing anything when I could get away with it. As the classification of my employment changed over time, I then 'rolled it' as fast and as safely as I could. I believe that if my entire living tenure of work could/would be added up today, my exposure to taxes would be less than $10K.

I am a penniless 'ghost in the machine.'

Bill Clinton opined he could not understand why people said they loved their country but hated their government. These types of stories shed some light on that condition.

Assistant Administrator
    Seems like if property can be simply ''taken'' with little or no true justification - there is only one way I could see that playing out for many of us!!! What's left?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Seems like if property can be simply ''taken'' with little or no true justification - there is only one way I could see that playing out for many of us!!! What's left?
    Line in the sand, Chris......
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Assistant Administrator
    Too right - a line with two distinct sides - ours and theirs!!
    Chris - P95

Administrator

Those Folks

that are going to have their houses bulldozed are going to stay & resist.
    That should be interesting.
    I can't believe that the SCOTUS ruled in favor of that. That is unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    If I understand the ruling it basically means that NO ONE'S house is ever going to be save from money grubbing developers again.

Someone please tell me I've got it wrong.
    Your not wrong :chairshot , but you are not caring it far enough, If you are a small business that is taking profits from a business that is bigger (they can get their government friends) to close you, so they can build a bigger business on your stolen property. Think Wally-World, Lowes, Home Depot all stepping on the ma/pa stores and business so they can monopolize the market. That seems fair to me, NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich
    If the eminent domain ruling bothers you, http://www.ij.org/
    Thanks for the link.

This is probably going to sound stupid, but this ruling made the hair on my neck stand up, and made the skin between my shoulder blades crawl. If it isn't negated by outraged federal and state legislators, this will have a profound impact as localities begin to exercise this newfound power. If you think about it, with the stroke of a pen, the court has instituted a weird kind of feudalism, eliminating private land ownership. How can you ever "own" a piece of property if it can be confiscated and given to someone else with better connections, without your consent? I know it sounds dramatic, but I can't help but wonder if this is going to be the fulcrum on which a revolution turns.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

VIP Member
    This is probably going to sound stupid, but this ruling made the hair on my neck stand up, and made the skin between my shoulder blades crawl.
    The same here. And state legislatures won't be outraged, they're jumping up and down in joy for it.

"Hi, we're BigAzz Developing Company and we want to plop a shopping mall on your land. We're offering you a dollar an acre."

"Umm, I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in selling. I like my land and a dollar an acre is absurd."

"Maybe I should reword it. Hi, we're BigAzz Developing Company and we are going to plop a shopping mall on your land, because the state and SCOTUS have said we can."

"State, SCOTUS, why are you making this happen?"

"Because the sales tax dollars made from the shopping mall line our pockets better than the property tax from your land. Bend over, peasant."
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Betty

Betty I hate to say this but I think you are going to have to change your slogan...""Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa" It seems that at least for the time we have our weapons but have lost our property anyway.

Assistant Administrator
    Saw a vid clip last night - showing one of the judges and also some high-up somewhere - crowing about how wonderful it all was - how it'd ''bring in taxes'' etc.

I thought then - ''hey suckers - let's have one of your own condo's up for grabs then'' - get things on an even playing field!

OK - I can dream!

Government by the people - for the people''?????? FEH!!
    Chris - P95

While I certainly agree with the IJ's stance on this issue... I was poking around their page and they are no friend of the American educator. I'm critical of anything they have to say about this case or its ruling.

Let's see this very same group:

http://www.ij.org/schoolchoice/az_taxcredits/index.html

Lets people completely bypass their public school system and go to someone else's... Oh I love that idea. Let's let school children go to any school while insuring the state foots the bill for the transportation and administration costs. Instead of passing reforms that might help the local school improve itself, let's half ass the situation.

http://www.ij.org/schoolchoice/az_vo...edy/index.html

Let's see... you basically want to give the parent of every student who has ever failed a class or had some trouble an open license to simply drop out of the public education system? Oh there's a good idea.

http://www.ij.org/schoolchoice/los_angeles/index.html

Once again, rather than reforming the public schools, let's destroy them utterly and have a nation of illiterate peasants who won't mind it when SCOTUS expands their eminent domain powers.

http://www.ij.org/schoolchoice/washington/index.html

To be fair however this ruling I completely agree with. As an educator I should be free to pursue private employment just like any other profession.

I don't agree with the Court's ruling but I wouldn't use these people for information. Public education is one of the handful of rightful duties and powers the state has. It's so basic to our society we have to take steps to insure that it exists. It's like a group of people sought to undo the Post Office and the Military. It's socially irresponsible even if it might sound good to a few selfish people who would gain financially from it.

I do agree with their stance on this ruling though, I just hope no one sends these people a check. Is there someone else leading this fight who doesn't have it in for American educators?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links