Tactical dream I just had in which I was about to be the school-shooting hero

This is a discussion on Tactical dream I just had in which I was about to be the school-shooting hero within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Um, this one is weird. I was up really late last night and so I slept in today. I had been having a lot of ...

Thread: Tactical dream I just had in which I was about to be the school-shooting hero

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Post Tactical dream I just had in which I was about to be the school-shooting hero

Um, this one is weird.

I was up really late last night and so I slept in today.
    I had been having a lot of really weird dreams, and the last one I remember took place in a school.

It seemed to be a high school and I don't know what I was doing there, since in the dream I didn't feel like a high school student.

I was walking out, and noting to myself that the school's population looked like the typical south Florida school population. I felt a bit of nervousness because I was passing by a lot of very hoodie, thug-looking cliques, and it seems I was carrying a big case (like my laptop computer).

As I walked through a common area on my way to the outdoors, I saw a young man, blond, average size, carrying a rifle and pointing it in the direction he was walking, which was 180 degrees to my direction. He and I passed within feet of each other as others were milling around hither and thither. There were several dozen people in the vicinity at least.

As I passed by him, I heard him start to shout something to people, and then heard him really yell angrily, "GET OUT!!" I trotted on away and got to the curbside, set down my stuff, and reached for my small shoulder bag, which I often use to contain my Glock 27. I unzipped it as I was taking out my cellular phone.

I vividly remember thinking to myself that the phone won't do me any good if the guy should come my way, so I should get the gun ready first. I thought to myself the old adage that pilots use, "Aviate, navigate, communicate, in that order!"

But I was nervous about taking out the gun because I was in a school, and it was a forbidden, illegal item! I wanted to be sure that if I allowed myself to be seen with the gun, it was because I was stopping the subject.

So I unzipped the bag and put my hand on the gun's grip, and started to try to dial 911. I remember looking right at my phone, and two or three times I started to dial 199 or something! So I finally slowed down the adrenaline, and dialed 911, but I couldn't hear anyone on the line with me. Finally I pushed my earpiece farther into my ear and realized that I had a male operator on with me, and I said something that I don't recall about the school shooter. I said that there was a kid with a rifle but I don't know if he's shot anyone yet. The operator told me that yes, he had (I then guessed that others had already called in).

I went around a corner slowly, going the way I had seen him go, and I had yet to hear any shots (which I figured would be loud, since his rifle appeared to be like a bolt-action hunting rifle). I saw a panicked-looking young woman coming toward me, and I mouthed the words, "Where is he?" to her, and she rolled her eyes to indicate that he was coming right behind her.

I looked up and saw him walking toward us but not noticing us, so I backed around the corner, drew from my bag (I had my hand on the gun the whole time but inside the concealment of the bag) and aimed at the corner around which he would come at any moment. I thought to myself that he might have seen me before I ducked away, and that he might come around the corner with the rifle raised and simple fire at first sight of me, so I crouched down with my aim point about chest level.

When he came around the corner, I was aiming for center of mass, and he seemed to be walking with someone else near him, but I couldn't tell anything about that person (accomplice, hostage, other). I remember taking the slack out of the Glock's trigger and I really think I was trying to fire, but suddenly this became one of those dreams where your gun doesn't fire like it ought to, and I wasn't sure if I was going to get a shot out of it or not! (Very frustrating.)

Anyway, that's the moment at which I woke up. I don't think he had even seen me, as he was looking in a slightly different direction. But the cliffhanger is, was my gun going to fire for me or not?!

I guess a dream like this is inspired subconsciously by the news, and by the habit of CCWing. It's funny to me how even in a dream, I was worried about being in trouble for having been carrying in a prohibited place. It sucks that we have to worry about that, when we might actually be able to save some lives.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    never had a dream like that, but i hope everything went well... were u sweating when u woke up
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

If it were my 'dreams'...no problem!
    Each shot would be well-placed...between the eyes actually!
    I would only need one mag as the gun never runs out of ammo.
    Cover is not a necessity as I would be able to dodge all return fire by a simple sidestep...

Ahhhhhh, dreams, they make SD so safe!

Hope your dream is less frustrating next time...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've never had a dream where I pulled the trigger on a gun and it functioned correctly. I seem to recall that the bullets don't really come out with any sort of force, if at all.

That said - I don't frequently have dreams about guns. Most of my dreams are about flying, women, or flying women. Oh yeah, and sometime Harry Potter. I would be in Gryffindor.

Well i know its a dream now since u said
    but suddenly this became one of those dreams where your gun doesn't fire like it ought to,
    Come on now your carrying a GLOCK dont worry about it, it fired & u saved the day

"but suddenly this became one of those dreams where your gun doesn't fire like it ought to"

'Gun not working' dream? Oh, come on!!

I've had dreams like that since I started to carry and train on it. I run different senerios all the time in my head and really focus on where I would go/act and such. One thing I am always fearing is that my CCW will not fire or function, so that comes up in my dreams. Eject the mag, clear the jammed round, reload, click no fire.

Its strange that I also have the bullets do not stop the threat dreams as well.

Oh well, the only times my guns have not functioned 100% is durning break-in (Kahr PM9) and with white box at the range (everything).

Don't worry your 27 went bang just like they all do, if it were mine it would have said "bang-bang....bang". Croutched double tap and then a focused 3rd shot if the threat were still up.

Well, I've had dreams in which the gun worked perfectly, and I was some sort of super-agent-dude and shot everyone I needed to shoot. And I've had a lot in which the ammo didn't work right and it drooped out of the muzzle, or more commonly the trigger mechanism feels like it's all mucked-up and pulls only with tremendous effort and very slowly, and by the time it reaches the break point there's no tension in the spring to fire a round.
    Those dreams are hell!

This morning (Friday) I woke from a dream in which I was standing along a street where there was a lot of construction and stuff going on along sidewalks and in the road, and (a lot of detail and circumstance omitted for brevity) I saw a telephone pole with nothing attached to it topple over diagonally into the street. A guy was walking across the street near where the top end was coming down, and I yelled out, "Heads up!!" because I seemed to be the only one noticing. But in a second or so the pole had swung all the way down and by random fluke just happened to nail this guy right on the top of the head.

The next instant was a gross-out. This pole swung down with such force that it simply POPPED the guy's head like a balloon full of ketchup. His brains just radiated out in all directions (like the way the Death Star exploded in the re-release of Star Wars!), and the follow-through simply flattened him to the street.

Before you ask, NO, I have no idea what brought on a dream like that. I woke up immediately after it ended, too.

I'm about to go to bed right now. I can only wonder what tonight will bring to the mental cinema screen...

Peacefuljeffrey, I'm not saying this sarcastically or to be mean or anything - but if you're having that many dreams where violence, shooting, death, etc. are involved, then you may want to consider seeing a therapist to help you with what seem like some serious sub-conscious anxiety issues at the least, possibly even something worse.
    Guns, concealed carry, defensive tactics... all these ar eimportant things to have to protect yourself, but they shouldn't be the focus of your life or something you dwell upon.

My experience with "tactical" dreams at what your apparent age is usually involved bra straps and skirts..........."Dampish", actually!

I wouldn't worry too much, you've just exposed yourself to a bit much of the BS "tacticool" world....expand your horizons some....actually its quite normal for one's dreams to reflect things you've read, studied or experienced......usually in a disjointed and screwed up kinda way.

I spent a lotta years as a street cop and I really would not repeat some of the things that came to me in that sense as someone's always willing to try to analyize you.........and usually it's in a very unflattering manner.

The best kind of dream combines BOTH women and guns.

I have the typical 'kid growning up' dream where I shoot a BG and he doesn't fall down, so I say, "Hey, I shot you!" and he replies, "No you didn't!" Stupd and frustrating in a dream!

Most often, the BG just drops like a brick w/o any blood, guts, or damage. (The 1 kill-shot stereotype, 'old-western' type kill w/o the round red dot.)
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by vashooter View Post
    Peacefuljeffrey, I'm not saying this sarcastically or to be mean or anything - but if you're having that many dreams where violence, shooting, death, etc. are involved, then you may want to consider seeing a therapist to help you with what seem like some serious sub-conscious anxiety issues at the least, possibly even something worse.
    Guns, concealed carry, defensive tactics... all these ar eimportant things to have to protect yourself, but they shouldn't be the focus of your life or something you dwell upon.
    You needn't worry about me; I'm fine.

Just because I described two dreams does not mean that the bulk of what I dream about is scary, violent, stressful, depressing, or any other bad thing. I just thought that the school-shooter one would spark some interesting discussion here; the other one was just a weird fluke; and in between, there have been some pretty fun ones!

Administrator

Wink Suggestion

The other night I fell asleep in front of the TV while Dracula movie was on. I dreamed I was shooting at vampires to keep them at bay. I woke up saying, "Bring me more bullets!"
    I should be more careful about what I have on tv while sleeping.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Links