Why does he have to be the bad apple?

This is a discussion on Why does he have to be the bad apple? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Let me begin with that I have the utmost respect for LEO's the Military and anyone else in uniform... but once in a while you ...

Thread: Why does he have to be the bad apple?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Let me begin with that I have the utmost respect for LEO's the Military and anyone else in uniform... but once in a while you do get a bad apple. I would like to know why some LEO’s are like this and feel the need to harass people that aren't doing anything horrible.

Let me explain my story and why I feel a little violated. A few weeks ago I was pulled over on the side of the road (off the main road) delivering papers. It was early on a Sunday morning and there was no traffic. I figured I’d only be a quick second, and then I’d be on my way. Well I have a big old 78’ Bronco. It happened to be sticking out a bit in the road. Well a LEO pulled up next to me in the road and with a bit of an attitude told me that if I’m going to get over, get over all the way. I complied, no harm no foul right?

Well I was wrong. This morning I was delivering again, on a different route in town. Well a part of the route has a customer that is a bit out of the way. So as I’m doing the route I have to go back around and come down a street that has no parking on one side. It’s much easier and quicker to do that then to go really out of my way for one paper. It’s a two way street and in order to stop and deliver I have to pull over to the parking side facing the wrong direction. Again I’m pulled over as far as I can go, out of the way, in the opposite direction though. The same LEO from a few weeks ago pulls up slowly and says “You know that’s a 107 dollar ticket”? I said I’m just going to deliver these two papers and I’ll be out of the way, sorry about that. He said “I don’t care, you need to pull away now unless you want a 107 dollar ticket”. He drove off. I thought of it as a little rude. 95% of the LEO’s in town are cool with me doing my job and leave me alone as long as I’m not blocking the road. A little irritated I comply and drive around the block and out of my way just so I can be facing the correct direction in a parking spot to deliver two papers.

We’ll it only gets better… Later on in the route I have to fill up a box. I pull over into a parking lot that is adjacent to a red light. Now mind you I didn’t cut the red light, I simply parked in a parking lot kitty corner to a light to fill up a box across the road. I pulled out of the parking lot by going strait rather then backing up and pulling out at the red light. I run out fill the papers up, get back in the car and drive across the road to deliver across the street. Well he stops me again at the store that I was delivering to. I guess he had been following me. This time he was clearly heckling and harassing me. “Do you want a ticket? Because I can give you one right now for cutting that red light”. I said “No not really” He said “If I see you doing anything that violates traffic laws again I will give you a ticket, don’t do it again”. At this point i'm a little pissed because I'm just trying to do my job. I keep my cool and don't say anything. He leaves again glaring at me like I just killed someone.

He drove off and I felt a little violated. I’m just trying to do my job. I try my absolute best to stay out of the way when I’m doing my route. Sometimes its just not possible to obey ever single law when delivering. You have to go on the wrong side of the road to fill up tubes. Thats why we do it early in the morning when there is no traffic. Of the entire town LEO’s that I’ve met, he by far was the nastiest. All the other LEO's are nice and cool about it, and understand that I’m just trying to do my job. Why does he have to be the bad apple?

just a thought...Write his boss. Just make sure you have all your ducks in a row and be POLITE about it and ask if there's anything you can do or come up with a better approach to help resolve any issues. Try to keep your note as civil as possible. Any LEO's out there have any advice?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    So let me get this straight... you have got warnings for breaking the law, and now your complaining because you want to continue breaking the law?

He may not have handled it in the best way, but I really don’t think you have any grounds to complain. By your own admission, you are breaking traffic laws. Would you rather he ticketed each offense with a smile and kind word?
    An officer witnessed you breaking those laws, and gave you warnings instead of a ticket. That is his discretion. He may not have sugar coated it for you, but then again, he probably figured someone driving a big Bronco in the early morning hours puts his big girl panties on before heading out in the morning.

FWIW, I do let the morning paper guys in my town do pretty much what they want within reason. Its 3 am afterall. I'm just trying to point out that you really dont have much of an official complaint.
    I do think the cop is being foolish. Every good street cop knows to make friends with the delivery people in your town. They drive the same streets you do, and are an excellent extra set of eyes and source of information. Plus, when we make the paper, a extra copy is always waiting for me at the office.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    All the other LEO's are nice and cool about it, and understand that I’m just trying to do my job. Why does he have to be the bad apple?
    A real bad apple would have ticketed you. Outside of the cop's bedside manner I don't see what your beef is.

I can see what your beef is but in all reality you are breaking the law. Obviously this guy is bored and wants to make your life suck so just comply with the laws and when he drives by smile and wave.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

I understand the traffic violation things... If I ran a red light or was speeding I could 100% understand the need for a ticket. But something harmless as parking on the opposite side of the road just to deliver a paper? My beef is why is he picking about every little thing, especially at 4am when there is NO traffic? Is he bored? Is he having a bad night and feels the need to take it out on me because I'm the most convenient? I've parked like this before, I’ve “cut” thru that parking lot before and other officers just drive by and really don't care... Just because he’s having a bad day doesn’t mean he can go around picking on random people for stupid little violations. Then to follow me around to boot… Like I said I have the utmost respect for all LEO’s and even know a few in town, this one particular one I feel was just trying to be a pain. It’s a little immature in my book.

Administrator
    It might be a little immature or over the top, but he is doing what the city pays him to do. You are breaking traffic laws.

Here is a suggestion... offer him a paper. He might not take it, but it might break the ice a little bit and give you a chance to show him your a decent dude just delivering papers. Also, ask a intelligent question or two regarding the neighborhood or who you should call if you see something strange.
    Or maybe ask one of the guys you know what the scoop is on this cop. Maybe he is just one of those types that always come off the wrong way.
    Some of paper guys where I work have my direct connect number now so they can call me if the see a broken window or whatever. These guys know the streets as well as I do and they tend to see a lot of stuff I dont because I am much more visable in a patrol car. So I take advantage of that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It might be a little immature or over the top, but he is doing what the city pays him to do. You are breaking traffic laws.

Here is a suggestion... offer him a paper. He might not take it, but it might break the ice a little bit and give you a chance to show him your a decent dude just delivering papers. Also, ask a intelligent question or two regarding the neighborhood or who you should call if you see something strange.
    Or maybe ask one of the guys you know what the scoop is on this cop. Maybe he is just one of those types that always come off the wrong way.
    Some of paper guys where I work have my direct connect number now so they can call me if the see a broken window or whatever. These guys know the streets as well as I do and they tend to see a lot of stuff I dont because I am much more visable in a patrol car. So I take advantage of that.

Thanks for the advice, next time I see him around I'll try that.

Its the laws that are bad, not the cop. Chances are he's driving around trying to do his job, and the only person he sees the whole night breaking any laws is you. His shift probably starts at 11 or midnight, so around 3 or 4 in the morning he's got to be hurting. Not an excuse - but he doesn't have to be polite if he doesn't want to. I'd try to make friends, or at least establish yourself as a good guy. Giving him attitude every time he talks to you is your right though.

Austin

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    i'm with Sixto on this

if anything, he's being nice by not doing anything more then warning.

--Jim
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 12th, 2007 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Remove reference to a deleted post
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

look just don't break the law and you'll be fine, the cop is doing his job the same as you . If by chance you cause an accident by breaking traffic laws, and the officer ignore's it he could be partly responsible,you were warned, now your on your own.
    The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding cititzens should also have guns.Otherwise they will win and the decent people will loss.''
    -James Earl Jones.

VIP Member
    It's 3 a.m., the leo may be bored, doesn't like nights or whatever. Apparently he's got extra time to monitor your driving etc. so the easy answer is good textbook driving by you, at least until conditions change.
    I definitely agree with being amicable with the leo; drop a free paper off at their office or whatever. Certainly don't let this escalate between he and you.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    So let me get this straight... you have got warnings for breaking the law, and now your complaining because you want to continue breaking the law?

He may not have handled it in the best way, but I really don’t think you have any grounds to complain. By your own admission, you are breaking traffic laws. Would you rather he ticketed each offense with a smile and kind word?
    An officer witnessed you breaking those laws, and gave you warnings instead of a ticket. That is his discretion. He may not have sugar coated it for you, but then again, he probably figured someone driving a big Bronco in the early morning hours puts his big girl panties on before heading out in the morning.

FWIW, I do let the morning paper guys in my town do pretty much what they want within reason. Its 3 am afterall. I'm just trying to point out that you really dont have much of an official complaint.
    I do think the cop is being foolish. Every good street cop knows to make friends with the delivery people in your town. They drive the same streets you do, and are an excellent extra set of eyes and source of information. Plus, when we make the paper, a extra copy is always waiting for me at the office.
    I have to agree with SIXTO 100% on this. You say yourself that you are violating traffic laws. Just because you are the paper guy doesn't mean you get a free pass. Heck, the cabbies don't get free passes either and they are just trying to do their jobs too.

Maybe not the answer you want to hear but, the law is the law for everyone, not everyone except the guy delivering newspapers.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 12th, 2007 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Remove reference to a deleted post
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Your transgressions, while technically illegal, don't really amount to anything, especially at 3 AM. Plenty of other service providers are allowed latitude while making deliveries and performing tasks that benefit the public. You are obviously being harassed by this person for reasons only known to him. I suggest you start keeping a log of your contacts with him with times, dates, and a synopsis of what was said. You may need this down the line if you have to hire an attorney. You are being prevented from earning an honest living, and I really don't think the police chief and mayor would be very happy to see this whole business appear in court and in the newspapers.

If you find you need legal help, look for someone who is hooked up with city hall and the local courts. He can probably solve the problem with a phone call or two.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

1943 - 2009
    I think the OP has received sufficient advice regarding what to do about his situation, so the thread is now closed.

Thanks to all contributors.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Links