PA Homeschooled kid/Police find weapons cache at teen's home

This is a discussion on PA Homeschooled kid/Police find weapons cache at teen's home within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Captain Crunch The mother was arrested and charged with buying the guns for her son. I saw that, which is why I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PA Homeschooled kid/Police find weapons cache at teen's home

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    The mother was arrested and charged with buying the guns for her son.
    I saw that, which is why I asked if it was actually illegal to purchase a gun for your child. Seems the lines of ownership could be made awfully fuzzy in that situation.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    The mother was arrested and charged with buying the guns for her son.
    Anybody notice this? I thought it was one firearm!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    Anybody notice this? I thought it was one firearm!!!
    apparently, there was also a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol that he had stored at someone else's house.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

must have missed that
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Most of the guns were BB guns; its really sad that all the news networks acted like they were the real thing. The boy apparently had problems.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 13th, 2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Delete language workaround

I think that to convict mom, they will have to prove that she actually transferred ownership to the kid. I had a .22 rifle in my room when I was a kid, but it was really owned by my dad.

It appears that everyone in law enforcement and the schools there is milking this situation for all it is worth for their own benifit.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jpedone76 View Post
    Most of the guns were BB guns; its really sad that all the news networks acted like they were the real thing. The boy apparently had problems, but what the F....
    Do you think it is normal to stockpile weapons (a BB gun is a weapon) and my favorite...hand grenades, bomb making books???...sorry, but I find it hard to come to the kid's defense...or parents for that matter. Just not normal...glad they acted instead of waiting (because we've seen what happens when one waits). Putting the shoe on the other foot...what would we be saying if no one acted???

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Do you think it is normal to stockpile weapons (a BB gun is a weapon) and my favorite...hand grenades, bomb making books???...sorry, but I find it hard to come to the kid's defense...or parents for that matter. Just not normal...glad they acted instead of waiting (because we've seen what happens when one waits). Putting the shoe on the other foot...what would we be saying if no one acted???

Rick
    "normal" and "illegal" can be two very different things. I do think this kid was a bit disturbed and the tip-off was definitely a good thing, as was taking him into custody.

I'm in no way defending him or his plans, but I think more attention should be paid to what he was actually planning, what he actually tried to recruit the other kid for, etc, not how many fake guns he had (airsoft guns, while technically "weapons" are in no way lethal, unless at extreme close range into a bodily orifice). The details about the "grenades" have yet to come out, but I have a strong suspicion that they were no more lethal than the rest of his perfectly legal plastic stockpile.

The fact that they are throwing the book at his mother, when it will be extremely difficult to prove that she actually transfered any of the real guns to his ownership, says to me that they are grasping at legal straws to try and find some sort of gun crime. If they're left with nothing but conspiracy, that's far less interesting and nobody gets to hold press conferences behind a table filled with scary-looking gun-shaped objects.

We all know the newpaper motto..."If I Bleeds, It Leads..." I expect it, and know it will never change.
    I am glad that they caught this kid, and if his mother DID buy the kid one pistol, then she should pay the price.

That said, a pretty big story shrinks down to nothing...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    "normal" and "illegal" can be two very different things. I do think this kid was a bit disturbed and the tip-off was definitely a good thing, as was taking him into custody.

I'm in no way defending him or his plans, but I think more attention should be paid to what he was actually planning, what he actually tried to recruit the other kid for, etc, not how many fake guns he had (airsoft guns, while technically "weapons" are in no way lethal, unless at extreme close range into a bodily orifice). The details about the "grenades" have yet to come out, but I have a strong suspicion that they were no more lethal than the rest of his perfectly legal plastic stockpile.

The fact that they are throwing the book at his mother, when it will be extremely difficult to prove that she actually transfered any of the real guns to his ownership, says to me that they are grasping at legal straws to try and find some sort of gun crime. If they're left with nothing but conspiracy, that's far less interesting and nobody gets to hold press conferences behind a table filled with scary-looking gun-shaped objects.

Agree with you...but I also see a bigger picture...warning to parents that allow such, students that know other kids that do such, warning to individuals that think such...

Nothing may come of the charges...but one also has to look beyond just this report...albeit full of holes...are there kids out there that think, plan, stockpile...you bet. Should that be a problem...you bet.

Rick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links