Wife says I have too many guns

This is a discussion on Wife says I have too many guns within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; How does one work around this problem? I'm sure you guys have been in the same situation before... you're in the store... then you see ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife says I have too many guns

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

How does one work around this problem? I'm sure you guys have been in the same situation before... you're in the store... then you see her

The perfect gun. Nice price. Nice condition... your wallet is just itching

Then you hear her... the wife.... and it just fouls up the moment you're having

"You don't need any more guns"

So what do the rest of you guys do to get around this problem?

JD
    Administrator
    Well I have a slight advantage in that my wife shoots... but "we" usally sell one or two, to buy something new...

Pending on the size of your collection, you can always try to make a hard choice over what can go...

Some will cling to every gun they buy, I wish I could, but I move some out as new ones come in just to keep the "We have too many" issue at bay, then again, I don't think we'll ever have the we have too many guns debate, mainly it's a question of finance that leads to one or two being sold.

You have options, but I will be the first to say that buying it anyway while the wife isn't around and "hiding" it is a bad idea, I did it once and when she finally did find it....well it wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly pretty either.

Thankfully my wife doesn't say such things.

Senior Moderator
    I'm only ever buying "One More".

The main thing is I only buy afetr selling one or when we have extra cash (rarely happens) and the cars don't need tires, toliets aren't leaking, etc....
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

My wife has said that a couple of times in the past, but I guess she has learned that just because she said it isn't going to discourage me from buying another one. She has actually encouraged a few purchases, and at the same time has helped me decide to not purchase certain guns like the re-pop of a 1928 Thompson M1A1 that I had my hands on a little while back. She wasn't so lucky with the M14.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

fortunately, i already have permission for my next purchase.

I got permission after i found out she spent 500$ on her winter "wardrobe"

she didn't have much room to argue past that point.
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

I tell my wife she has too many shoes but she hasn't quit buying them. Same goes for my guns.

VIP Member
    If my wife tells me I don't need another one, I usually just say the word "china". We have 4 sets of everyday, 2 Christmas sets, and 3 sets of really fine china. Admittedly she only bought two of the everyday and both of the Christmas sets, but she also bought all the additional pieced of the fine china sets she inherited. The fine china styles she has are no longer made so she has to go to a service to find the pieces and they cost 2 or 3 times what a modern piece costs. So when I say "china". The tone of the discussion changes and the question of "need" is no longer part of the conversation. Sometimes there is a legitimate reason to wait and sometimes there is not. So the decision is made on a more realistic level than was originally in use. I never say I need a new gun, but for some reason about 75% of the time the response has need in it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member
    Simple------Don't take her shopping.

Z

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Get a new wife
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Tell her to get q second job to support your collection.

All Glocks look the same

Outside the grocery store, need has very little to do with any purchase most of us make. We need food, water, air, shelter; after meeting these most elemental needs, everything else is making life easier, more comfortable, more fun. Do I need it? Probably not, but it is much less expensive than many other "entertainments" we could spend money on.

Administrator
    I've been blasted for saying this before, but I ask for no permission... for nothing. I might run something by her to see what she thinks, but I never did ask permission. Thats why so many guys get in the positions they do, they allow someone else to rule their world. It aint going to happen here.

I'm lucky enough that my wife has her own job and makes her own great money. She handles our finances, I trust her completly to do that. She keeps me informed if we are getting tight or low on cash for whatever reason, and she trust that I will time purchases accordingly.

Now here is the secret... have your own gun fund. Gun money is gun money. If I sell one, it goes to buy another. Once you have been doing this for a number of years and your smart about it, your gun fund will take on its own life with very little new addition from you.
    I try to keep 1k in cash in the gun fund, so I can jump on deals even if I dont want the gun. Then I turn around and sell through an FFL and pocket the profit for the gun fund. Soon enough, I have plenty of cash to buy what I do want. Thats one of the reasons I have so many duplicates in my collection. Glocks and Sigs are always an easy, quick sell for premium prices.

It isnt an easy plan, but it has worked for me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I discovered I had too many wives....

--Travis--

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links