Pitkin County Bear Attack

This is a discussion on Pitkin County Bear Attack within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wow!! Right in his garage. Just goes to show you....... "Associated Press - October 11, 2007 5:54 PM ET SNOWMASS, Colo. (AP) - A bear ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitkin County Bear Attack

Pitkin County Bear Attack

Wow!! Right in his garage. Just goes to show you.......

"Associated Press - October 11, 2007 5:54 PM ET

SNOWMASS, Colo. (AP) - A bear that got inside a garage in Snowmass and then clawed the homeowner was shot and killed by wildlife officers this morning.

At least 45 black bears have been killed this spring and summer statewide after run-ins with people.

Pitkin County sheriff's deputies and state wildlife officer Kevin Wright shot the 350-pound male bear.

Officers believe the bear entered the garage through an open door. The homeowner was charged and clawed by the bear when he went to the garage to feed his dogs".

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I wonder what the dogs were doing?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I live in S. Colorado and the alley behind my house is littered with trash and food wrappers from all the black bears that have been passing by. The problem is with ignorant / uncaring people who put their trash out days ahead of the pickup schedule. They are also attracted to bird feeders, dog food, and dirty barbeque pits. After living in town a while they lose their fear of humans and often have to be destroyed.

This is a particularly bad year for the bears. They normally fatten up for winter with berries and acorns. Late spring freezes ruined these crops this year. They require 8000-11000 calories per day during the pre-hibernation month when they gain 2-4 pounds daily. Many will starve to death this winter, and most of the cubs won't make it.

I backpacked 40+ days in Colorado this past summer and saw zero bears. I've seen them seven times around town this fall, though I haven't been home much. Don't sweat the bears in the woods - it's the ones in town you need to look out for.

Feeding these creatures, either intentionally or un intentionally, is the major cause of these incidents...NO FOOD/NO BEARS...it's pretty simple.
    Even in FL, people will put out dead chickens to feed the 'gators'...DUMB! Gators and bears, think small children and dogs, look like 'chicken'...probably taste the same, too! OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    LOL we have about 3 bears in the entire county down here . One however got a heffer last year just before the blizzards ( or that is about all the game warden and i could figure , a bear or big cat which are seen even less tracks were trampled out around the kill by the herd before we found the big critter happy meal ) . Some folks just dont understand that NO large animal is to be approached or delt with in any way casually , be they predators or prey.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    LOL we have about 3 bears in the entire county down here . One however got a heffer last year just before the blizzards ( or that is about all the game warden and i could figure , a bear or big cat which are seen even less tracks were trampled out around the kill by the herd before we found the big critter happy meal ) . Some folks just dont understand that NO large animal is to be approached or delt with in any way casually , be they predators or prey.
    In my neck of the woods they are frequently coming into residential areas to scavenge for food in preperation for hibernation. I've had several encounters with bears in the wild but never felt really threatened. I stay armed nowadays just in case.

wmhawth If you think bears are bad , just wait till someone corners an old bull elk up there now he will get " testy " about stuff lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I wonder what the dogs were doing?
    being digested.

I couldnt imagine being attacked by a bear, talk about scary. I dont care how big, strong or skilled you are the bear is going to win if he wants too.

People freak out around here about coyotes... I wish we had a few bears, that would be entertaining!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I couldnt imagine being attacked by a bear, talk about scary. I dont care how big, strong or skilled you are the bear is going to win if he wants too.

My anti-gun buddy just carries a knife for bears when in the woods of Northern MI. I was going to go with him once but he didn't want me to bring a gun. If I only had a knife I was planning on stabbing him in the leg if we were attacked.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

If I only had a knife I was planning on stabbing him in the leg if we were attacked.
    ROFLMAO the old tried and true " out run the buddy " defense I love it .

Administrator
    LAKE TAHOE, Calif., Sep. 14, 2007 (KGO) - The State Fish and Game Department issued a warning - beware of bears.

This is the time of year when the berries they eat have dried up and they are forced to go rummaging for food.

People in the Lake Tahoe area are already complaining about "kitchen intruders."

It's "bearly" believable. There are now up to 200 reports a day of black bears roaming through Lake Tahoe neighborhoods.

The bears are rummaging through garbage cans, raiding bird feeders, breaking through windows and doors and simply tearing houses apart.

"All the different drawers and pieces were all dumped out and every, just about every item, except the herb tea, had been dumped and mixed and ripped and pulverized," said Catherine Hyde, Tahoe homeowner.

Catherine Hyde's family found quite a mess when they returned home recently. Mama bear and two cubs broke in through a window, and were still inside, when her husband opened the door.

"He walked in and saw the little cub sitting in the debris, so he sounded the air horn. And then he saw this little cub come shooting out the window right there, and then he saw the big mother streak by," said Hyde.

Five to ten houses get hit around Lake Tahoe every day. Tahoe's bears are ravenously hungry, probably because of this summer's drought.

Now that it's fall and winter's almost here, bears need about 20,000 calories a day. That's the equivalent of 40 big burgers, and some of the bears wash it down with a cold soft drink.

"It's a whole lot easier to sit in front of a refrigerator and grab a big old piece of cheesecake or a big bowl of Jell-O or a bowl of peaches," said Anne Bryant of the Bear League, which preaches critter coexistence.

"We've had 'em when they have actually come in and sit on couches. So far they haven't turned on the television, but that's just a matter of time," said Bryant.

Many homeowners have installed barking dog boxes to scare off the bears.

A more draconian measure is gaining popularity - unwelcome bear mats consisting of spiked sheets of plywood placed outside vulnerable doors and windows.

The Bear League is promoting an emergency plan to lure the bears away from Tahoe with back country food drops.
    They also want wildlife officials to relocate juvenile bears to remote areas far from Tahoe's easy food sources.

In the meantime, Bryant turns out at urban bear sightings and tries to scare the bears away.

"Go on, stay back in the woods. Don't you come back here," said Bryant.

Occasionally she resorts to a non-lethal paint gun.

"I want to make him know he's been caught trespassing. It's someone else's den," said Bryant.

For now, it's shared real estate.

No one has ever been killed by a black bear in California, but 63 bears have been killed by cars around Lake Tahoe this year.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I had a black run past 10' from me in my front yard and my wife has also had a close encounter, she is the only Mom that takes bear spray to the park when she takes our daughter the rest of the Mom's think "teddy bear" will leave you alone if you leave it alone, shame that some kid is going to have to die to make them believe otherwise. In my backyard I have my .45 on the hip and a can of bearspray.

Wow. I'm surprised they put the spiked door mats out there...what if the bear got an owie on its paw?

I'd be on the roof with a bow just waiting.

Austin

Administrator
    People who build their homes in the woods and expect the critters who lived there first to disappear anger me. Why build that home in the woods if you cant deal with wildlife?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    People who build their homes in the woods and expect the critters who lived there first to disappear anger me. Why build that home in the woods if you cant deal with wildlife?
    Actually the problem here is that the warm winters have allowed the bear cubs to survive and the population to increase, so the new bears get pushed into the urban areas, some which have been urban for 100 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links