FYI: Wally World Patrons

This is a discussion on FYI: Wally World Patrons within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price is the documentary film sensation that's changing the largest company on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FYI: Wally World Patrons

Exclamation FYI: Wally World Patrons

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price is the documentary film sensation that's changing the largest company on earth. The film features the deeply personal stories and everyday lives of families and communities struggling to survive in a Wal-Mart world. It's an emotional journey that will challenge the way you think, feel... and shop.

Released simultaneously in theaters and DVD in November 2005, the film has been seen by millions worldwide. Families, churches, schools, and small busineses owners have screened the film over 10,000 times and the world is taking notice. See the film, share it, and become part of the movement forcing companies to act responsibly.

walmartmovie

2. Remove Ads

One point made in the film...it's getting more and more difficult to find American made products, especially at Wally World. As the old bumper sticker use to say "Buy American, the job you save may be your own"...draw your own conclusions.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

The US Congress should:
    put fair tariffs on imported products to increase their price point in line with US made goods.

not allow or restrict imports with nations that won't allow our goods into their economy.

stop runaway inflation by allowing the unconstitutional Federal Reserve Bank to print more debt.

abolish all the minimum wage laws that inflate ALL wages across the board and have the effect of raising the cost to produce US made goods and service.

At least Wal-mart offers goods at prices low enough that low and middle income families can feed and clothe themselves and children.

My 45 cents worth (two cents adjusted for inflation).
    http://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/compare/

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    The US Congress should:
    put fair tariffs on imported products to increase their price point in line with US made goods.

not allow or restrict imports with nations that won't allow our goods into their economy.

stop runaway inflation by allowing the unconstitutional Federal Reserve Bank to print more debt.

abolish all the minimum wage laws that inflate ALL wages across the board and have the effect of raising the cost to produce US made goods and service.

At least Wal-mart offers goods at prices low enough that low and middle income families can feed and clothe themselves and children.

My 45 cents worth (two cents adjusted for inflation).
    http://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/compare/
    +1 Great points!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am not a fan of wallmart or any big box retail store . They without a doubt put mom and pop mainstream businesses to rest. However untill someone can sell better for cheaper they are a fact of life . I have personaly reached the point that if i can support a local owned business i do , if i cant due to a large disparity in price , or non avalibility i shop wall mart however i check wallmart after i check online and then balance costs vs speed .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Saw the movie on "Show-time" mostly stuff I already knew, it started out as a family owned business with good intentions, but then it deformed and became distorted as it became a "Business for profit only" when the family lost control.

BTY I have family that are the victims of this business strategy. They had a real nice Mom N Pop grocery store in the state of Washington that had a deli that sold really tasty hot food.
    It only took a little over a year from the time that Wal-mart opened their "super center" to force my cousins to sell the building for anything they could and file for bankruptcy.
    They have been struggling every since trying different business in different locations only to slowly loose what is left of their life savings. In the end Now in their 60's they finally ended up just getting mediocre wage jobs just to make ends meet. When this all started they were in their early 50's and actually thought customer loyalty would carry them though, so much for smart customers, and we wonder why.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

The US Congress should:
    Why? All that will do is make you, and every other US consumer, pay more for imported goods. We already have huge tariffs on sugar, and pay through the nose because of it. We subsidize milk, peanut butter, etc. production, and all it does is make prices for consumers higher. Meanwhile, big agribusiness corporations are the ones who benefit, not the legendary "small farmer".

Tariffs are bad fiscal policy, for they punish the American consumer. Most are likely to result in huge fines and/or reciprocal tariffs against American-made goods anyway, resulting in an even steeper penalty paid by the American consumer.

I'm not a big fan of Wally World, but then again, I don't like big crowds. I only go to WW on an as-needed basis, which isn't very often, once every 3 - 4 months at the most.

Hmm, so many products sold at WW are made in China, and there is this LEAD trouble with some Chinese products..hmm, the old adage can be true: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Some US companies will save dollars shipping jobs overseas then pay a heavy price w/ product recalls that will ultimately do more long-term damage to the company than if they'd kept the jobs in the US.

I try to support 'the little man' when I can instead of the big boxes, but, unfortunately for most of us, money is tight.

I grieve that the mom & pop stores & restaurants (especially restaurants!!) are dying. The small business is one of the things that made this this country great.

If things continue, you'll no longer be able to get a great-tasting hamburger cooked by Grandma and will ultimately have to settle for a McBurger manufactured by a clown.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCGuy View Post
    Why? All that will do is make you, and every other US consumer, pay more for imported goods. We already have huge tariffs on sugar, and pay through the nose because of it. We subsidize milk, peanut butter, etc. production, and all it does is make prices for consumers higher. Meanwhile, big agribusiness corporations are the ones who benefit, not the legendary "small farmer".

Tariffs are bad fiscal policy, for they punish the American consumer. Most are likely to result in huge fines and/or reciprocal tariffs against American-made goods anyway, resulting in an even steeper penalty paid by the American consumer.
    My theory on this is, if an consumer product Made In China/Taiwan/Ecuador/India was taxed to bring it up to the wholesale price of the same item Made In USA, more US manufacturing workers would be making goods here.
    Where as China and other countries subsidize their manufacturing plants to allow them to export at below manufacturing cost, thus wiping out the US manufacturing base.
    The loss of the production of goods here in the USA can be devastating. The Allies won WWII because of our ability to ramp up production of defensive/offensive weapons. Could the US gear-up for similar production blitz if necessary? Could we make our own steel products?

Quote Originally Posted by SCGuy View Post

An old argument and proven false; between 1800 and 1984, every tarriff proposal enacted brought net profit to the US economy. By encouraging a total "free-market" system, the US is now solely a consumer-society. Things such as the Storm Worm can devour such an artificial economic structure, and crap it out literally overnight.

My theory on this is, if an consumer product Made In China/Taiwan/Ecuador/India was taxed to bring it up to the wholesale price of the same item Made In USA, more US manufacturing workers would be making goods here.
    Where as China and other countries subsidize their manufacturing plants to allow them to export at below manufacturing cost, thus wiping out the US manufacturing base.
    The loss of the production of goods here in the USA can be devastating. The Allies won WWII because of our ability to ramp up production of defensive/offensive weapons. Could the US gear-up for similar production blitz if necessary? Could we make our own steel products?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    An old argument and proven false; between 1800 and 1984, every tarriff proposal enacted brought net profit to the US economy. By encouraging a total "free-market" system, the US is now solely a consumer-society. Things such as the Storm Worm can devour such an artificial economic structure, and crap it out literally overnight.
    Exactly, having no tariffs is what creates the high cost of low prices. Not to mention that the Founders intended for tariffs to be the primary revenue generator for the federal government, not income taxes!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

This may stir the pot unnecessarily, but what I've been getting from the bash Wal-Mart crowd is the unions' frustration of not being able to bring the Wal-Mart workers into the fold. Therefore Wal-Mart has become a target for the unions and that animosity/boycott is passed down to it's membership.

I can respect someone's decision to join a union if they choose. I wish the unions would respect other's decision to not be part of a union.
    Sorry for the side rant, but I believe this is the crux of the Wal-Mart controversy.

P.S. I worked on the home of one of the daughters (and shareholder) of the owner's of UPS Delivery Service. In a conversation I brought up about the big strike a year or so before, I was told that the battle was not over the part-time workers, higher pay, etc as was reported on the news, but that the union wanted control of the $1.2(+/-?) billion worker's pension fund. Basically the union was holding-up UPS (without a gun) to gain full control of all that money. I don't understand the fine points, but it didn't sound right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    That's a pretty big claim (the 1800-1984 one). Got a source?

I happen to work for Wally world in a distribution center . they pay better than almost any other place locally , but , I won't shop at their retail stores. There's a reason I'm willing to buy locally and pay a little more . It's called "quality" . Everything that I had bought from wal-mart( before I knew better) had a short life expectancy . But , I still have items I bought from locals 20+ years ago . In the long run it's much more cost effective for me to spend more money initially knowing that I'll not have to replace that object in a year or two , rather than spend less now and again in a year , then the next and the next..... .

Btw , tarrifs are a GOOD idea . Companies don't move over seas to MAKE profit , just INCREASE profit . I watched profitable companies leave my region not because they were not turning a profit , but rather , they wanted MORE profit . If you set tariffs to level the field , then a company can stay and make the same profits . Will it raise prices? Well , if they raise their prices , then people won't buy their products and instead will go to a competitor . They may actually have to not give themselves such huge bonuses or have 20 different vice presidents for a company of 400 people . Somehow we as a country were able to live and prosper for a long time without having to turn to sending our jobs overseas . It all comes down to just how greedy company heads/owners are against their own fellow americans . To many could give a rat's patoot about america or it's citizens , but instead worry only about how much wealth they can acquire at any cost . Wal-mart is no different in that respect .

Here's my take:

The free-market economic system that we basically invented and perfected is the way to travel. Anyone that thinks earning revenues by a tariff based economy is dreaming. this has been proven time and again by the leading economic theorists (see the work of a guy named Alan Shapiro, USC business school) and you will read all the proof you need to read.

The problems with our country being non-competitive in the area of skilled labor, ever increasing demands for ever greater profits from shareholders of publicly traded companies and rising tax rates from government entities is what has caused the mass exodus of companies out of the U.S. to get their goods manufactured and brought to market; facts are facts, in the manufacturing arena, American manufacturing companies are being propped up by the government through penalty tariffs so American goods are still saleable here in the states, instead of dealing with the source of the problem that continues to drive the price of everything up year after year.

Take a look at the automobile industry; Detroit is basically back on its heels today, constantly losing market share to foreign competitors who are beating them to the punch with impunity. Why is this happening? The situation at GM is quite revealing: Years of stagnant R&D for new products (not listening to their customers) coupled with insane labor agreements have just made the company non-competitive in the world marketplace. Preston Tucker, the entrepreneur depicted in the movie "Tucker, the man and his dream" hit it right on the money during the congressional investigation when he was quoted in testimony as saying "if we are not careful, soon we will be buying our products from our enemies". Looking back, Mr. Tucker was very prophetic. Many technological innovations were lost to us and picked up by foreign companies and used to destroy our companies here because of protectionist policies practiced here by both the companies themselves and the politicians on their payroll. By engaging in these practices, and not letting the free market reign, we allowed everybody else to catch up and pass us in the manufacturing arena. The foreign companies such as Toyota, have now built plants here on our soil to get around the tariff system, with employees that sign non-union agreements, and they are slowly squeezing the american companies out of business, using our own system against us.

I see this happening everywhere in our country, and I am afraid that regardless of what we do now, it is too late to stop the bleeding. And as far as the tariffs are concerned? they are a laff, literally. No, that is not a misspell; if you want to see the relationship between tariffs (which are really taxes by another name) and government revenues, check out the "laffer curve". The laffer curve is an economic explanation of what happens when the government goes to one extreme or the other on tax rates and how government revenues are affected. Tax rates have been cut 4 times in the last 100 years, and every time, government revenues have actually increased in the near future. The last tax cuts were the ones George W. (the guy everybody hates) made, and they have worked exactly as they were intended contrary to what the Democrats say.

So don't knock the free market, we just need to fix things so they work they way they were intended to.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links