A biking weekend.

A biking weekend.

This is a discussion on A biking weekend. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, this year races on and here we are, another big bike event again. Just spent a lot of time this weekend (roasting too - ...

Thread: A biking weekend.

Assistant Administrator

A biking weekend.

Well, this year races on and here we are, another big bike event again.

Just spent a lot of time this weekend (roasting too - it was so very hot!) - at ''Thunder in the Valley'' .... bike week at Johnstown PA. The town gets saturated with bikes from all over - more than you can shake a stick at!!! First coupla pics are just to give some ''flavor'' but really give no real clue as to the massive density of bikes all over town. The third one is a rather nice and unusual graphic on one of the many 100's of hogs!

It was so hot that even riding with air flowing past on todays run - it was still too hot! However, - could have been ruined by rain so - we lucked out really, like last year.

Oh one more pic - each year a team of guys come along and do some trick riding - most of them real young. Some of what they do is riding with two inside a 14" steel globe - clever stuff. But the big trick is doing a back flip - and all this within an area not really much bigger than a tennis court.

Unfortunately tho I thought I'd selected a good position for pics - they did the flips at opposite end from last year so - a sorta back view and not helped by pole and transformer in the way either. At top left of pic is the top of the Johnstown inclined plain - I believe at some 48 the steepest grade incline in the nation.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Pretty neat stuff, pictures are nice and give one the idea as to the numbers. The town must be happy about this gathering because they benifit from cash coming in. How does the local PD handle this crowd, do they seem layed back about it as long as people are being OK???? Glad you got to have a good time with good weather.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    FortyFive - indeed the fiscal injection is IMO a very important plus for the town. Being an area where coal and steel used to be big, now in truth much is rather depressed by comparison. This event brings the town to life like nothing else and the revenue generated must be quite useful.

The local PD are, from my perception great! Very cool guys and I just felt sorry for the ones I spoke with who were cookin' in their uniforms. They ''turn a blind eye'' to quite a lot of minor infractions and I reckon only get heavy when they really have to - which is probably now and again, as there will always be a few nutjobs who can't hold their liquor and make fools of themselves!

All in all - a great event with an atmosphere that is tangible. Makes me proud to be a biker and share the great pleasure of riding and the cameraderie that exists.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One other point of interest - I know pretty much for sure that many PA bikers carry - myself of course included. Despite a good hard long look many times - I could not ''make'' anyone!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hey P95-On Sunday here in Orange County CA the Harley Riders 950 of them rode for a Chili cookoff to benifit the Boys & Girls club of Santa Ana CA. They have one of these rides every so often especially around the holidays. Years ago you would see a bunch of riders headed north but not so much anymore. Your photo skills are just outstanding, nice pictures.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Links