Home Invasion murder near my job

This is a discussion on Home Invasion murder near my job within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Really near. So near let's just say I know the paramedic who pronounced him....very well. http://www.news-journalonline.com/Ne...sion101607.htm Man dies in New Smyrna home invasion By MELANIE ...

Thread: Home Invasion murder near my job

Home Invasion murder near my job

Really near. So near let's just say I know the paramedic who pronounced him....very well.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/Ne...sion101607.htm

Man dies in New Smyrna home invasion

By MELANIE STAWICKI AZAM
    STAFF WRITER

NEW SMYRNA BEACH A Port Orange man was fatally shot in a home invasion robbery Monday night, after two suspects wearing masks burst into a home where a group was playing cards and demanded money, police said.

David Michael Turner, 62, was killed when one of the suspects discharged his weapon and struck him at about 9:20 p.m. at 503 Mill Run Drive, according to a New Smyrna Beach Police Department press release. Suspects fled the scene and EVAC responded to the home and pronounced Turner, who resided at 242 N. Brighton Drive, dead.

The suspects are described as two males. One is tall and slender, between 62 to 65 tall and 250 pounds. The other is described as being of a medium build to stocky build, between 58 to 510 tall and 260 pounds.

Anyone with information about the identity of the suspects involved in this home invasion robbery are asked to immediately contact Detective Diffin at (386) 424-2248 or Crime Stoppers at 888-277-TIPS.

Lessons learned without giving too much information.... Your chances of dying in an armed robbery-home invasion are much greater if you are playing at an illegal card game than they are if you are home quietly reading the Bible. Although violence can happen anywhere, why push it? It was reported on the local TV station that PD is investigating the fact that this was no penny-ante card game in someone's den, but an organized high-stakes game.

We didn't hear the shots, but you could practically see this from the station. It was reported on local TV, but not here in the paper, that the weapon was a rifle. PD has a description of the vehicle, hoping someone will tell. We feel that it's likely that the getaway car went by our front door after this happened. Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Scary stuff indeed - I grew up in Port Orange!
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."

-Ronald Reagan

The crime in some parts of FL seem to be getting more and more violent, but when it's right where you live or work...it really hits home!
    My doors are always locked and a gun is ALWAYS at hand. My wife doesn't even comment about it anymore...it's just part of life now! My gun moves from room to room with me...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    One thing I noticed while reading the article that JUST PIS@#& ME OFF, when they give the description they list height and weight, but completely FAIL to tell me what color they are. Would that not be a very useful piece of info???? It sure would eliminate about 1/2 or more of the potential suspects.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    One thing I noticed while reading the article that JUST PIS@#& ME OFF, when they give the description they list height and weight, but completely FAIL to tell me what color they are. Would that not be a very useful piece of info???? It sure would eliminate about 1/2 or more of the potential suspects.

Z

agreed,,PC at its best,,

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post

Z
    White? Black? Asian? Hispanic? Middle Eastern?
    I would suspect that those would be helpful facts.

But, what do I know? i aintverry smart, not liek them jurnalissts.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

As soon as I saw "card game" I figured this one out...

If it weren't for the death this would never have been reported. Games are hit on Long Island from time to time and it is a matter of simply handing over the cash and keeping quiet. The better "connected" the game the less likely it is to be hit.

I am not a card player but my wife's cousin is. He is a very well to do lawyer who has already won a couple hundred grand in cahmpionship in Vegas. He frequents these cgames but says he only brings a couple thousand so he is not worried about being robbed! Sorry, in my book if someone wants a couple thousand from me they are going to die, but I don't go to those games and I need that money to feed and shelter my family!

My fencing club was located in an industrial building with multiple rental units. We were the closest one to the street and the only one occupied at night. Then we started to see the parking lot filling up at the end of the strip around 9PM. By Midnight the lot was full often with high dollar cars. Card Game, as I learned from the cousing. It was also hit once and nobody ever knew...

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by mhiggi02 View Post
    Scary stuff indeed - I grew up in Port Orange!
    And last night the wife asked why I am walking around the house with the .45 still strapped on??? sound like a good enough excuse too me!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Whenever people point out that these home invasions often target a specific house just ask the following...

"Criminals never get the wrong address?"

I am armed whenever lounging around the house.

Ron
    Now, even when we go out to walk the dog in our own neighborhood, my wife, who at first was horrified at the idea that I was getting a license and carrying a gun, checks to make sure that I have my gun with me.

I had to read the article twice to make sure that I did not miss the part about the identity of the criminals. Pretty sad commentary about where we are, and worse, where we might be headed, with the PC business.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Links