Student Arrested After Wearing Body Armor to Class

This is a discussion on Student Arrested After Wearing Body Armor to Class within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OPFOR If vandalism is grounds for a "cracking someone's head open," what is amassing firearms and ammunition? First, I meant "cracking his ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Student Arrested After Wearing Body Armor to Class

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    If vandalism is grounds for a "cracking someone's head open," what is amassing firearms and ammunition?
    First, I meant "cracking his head open" in the sense of having some professionals talk to this kid and finding out how many of his gears are properly meshing.

Now if any person here doesn't see or admit the danger signs this moron is putting out they are blind or so obsessed with being anti LEO that they have lost sight of reality.

This kid needs serious help and quickly. Who tells LEOs while being investigated that they know how to defeat body armor and fire thousands of rounds every weekend practicing? Can't you people see what this kid is now and very likely may become if left alone.

He has no social skills, he has no education, he probably has some serious self image/worth problems, he has a proven history of using a firearm in a criminal manner. He has THREE AK clones, a shotgun, CS GRENADES, gas mask, helmet, body armor and goes through THOUSANDS of rounds of ammunition a week at 18. HELLOOOOO!!!!!!! We are not being stupid if we admit something seems amiss here.

This moron wanted attention and now he is getting it. Good! Hopefully he will now get some help. I wonder where the money came for all this stuff? I wouldn't hire him to make french fries and he has no education.

Where do you people think these school and rampage shooters come from? They do not hatch out of a pod somewhere, steal a gun, and go on a murder spree. The develope over years, showing more and more problems along the way. One day they make their move for REAL attention and people all say "He was so quiet, we never thought this would happen here, he seemed depressed, he worried people but we didn't think much about it..." On and on the manure flows after one of these rampage shootings when all the danger signs were there waiting to be paid attention to but were ignored.

I am glad he has been caught at a point where some help might save him and stop a future tragedy.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    And, before anyone goes "you don't have any stake in school violence," I have two children in public school in central Florida, not 30 miles from young Mr. Newberry.
    Amazing...

This kid is a freakazoid for a reason. He is an outcast and chooses to further calssify himself as one. He is obsessed with violence. He has friggin OC grenades!!!!

If a farmer is driving around with a truck loaded with diesel fuel and fertilizer it means nothing. If Ahkmed or some Neo Nazi White Supremecist who has nothing to do with farming is driving around with the same it becomes SUSPICIOUS. This kid was not a boy scout out practicing with his rifle, he is an outcast nut job who is hording weapons. EIGTHEEN YEARS OLD and he has bought how many weapons? WAKE UP PEOPLE.

Why is his bail so high? Simple, plenty of people much closer to this case than you or I have obviously seen something troubling here. The bail will almost certainly go down but before then they will have a much better chance to look further into what is fueling this nut job.

So what would this disturbed young man need to do in your opinion to warant getting some real professional attention?

VIP Member
    Musketeer, I'm hardly anti-LEO. I am an LEO. And I sympathize with the gut reaction, knee-jerk response of "this kid's messed up! Lock him away in a padded room forever! For the children!" mentality, but I won't join in the witch hunt. The crimes he has been accused of are relatively minor - I did worse as a teen ager and I'm sure many of us here have as well (and as far as I know, none of us ever shot up a school). There are millions of outcast, socially inept teenagers... hell, isn't that the definition of teenager? There are a handful of truly bad kids who harm others. I will not throw out the baby with the bathwater, or condemn anyone who owns 3 (oh my stars! Three!) rifles (legally) and some surplus military gear. I owned three rifles (an AR, an SKS, and a Ruger 10/22) and a shotgun at 18, and had full access to several handguns. I left them in my car while at school once in a while, if I was going shooting afterwards. Somehow, despite all that, I managed to go my whole life without one single mass murder....

Imagine a new poster to the forum: Hi, I'm Joe, here's a pic of my guns. I only have three now, but I'm building my collection as fast as my finances will allow. I train extensively, because I am dedicated to my self defense, and I want to be as proficient as possible. I carry OC spray as a back up to my lethal self-defense tools, because I realize that it is often good to have options like that available. I deliver pizzas for a living, a dangerous occupation that causes me to think about self defense fairly often. Occasionally, when I am in a rough part of town (and this school is), I will wear concealable body armor. I hope I can further my knowledge of firearms and self defense on this site, thanks for having me!

Do you recommend a psych eval based on this? Arrest and $600k bail? What? Even if he is "suspicios," so what? That's not against the law. The kid isn't Ahmed or a neo-Nazi, he didn't have a truck full of ANFO, he didn't have any expressed plans to hurt anyone that we know of. He's a man who legally owned items that all of us here purport to support the ownership of. He has poor fashion sense. He (maybe) stole a newspaper vending machine. Off with his head.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I don't know if he broke any laws or what should be done with him but this kid is weird and I prefer her not be allowed to walk up and down the street in front on my house with his AK-47.

I know its judgemental and prejudicial but I really suspet that if this had not happend we would be reading about him in a few weeks and seeing him held up as a poster child for the Brady Bunch.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I have reservations about this supposed "1000 rds. a week". That may very well be what he said, but 1000rds is a lot to go through in a single session. Even if he was using cheapo Wolf ammo, that's at least $250 each week, not to mention difficulties in finding that much stock on a regular basis. It may very well be true, but it seems more likely to me that he was just mouthing off, and LE ran with the quote.

He's suspicious, absolutely. But I'm extremely wary of "the ends justify the means" thinking. It sounds like he purchased his guns legally, meaning he was not a felon. Most probation agreements have a "no guns or other weapons" clause, and they didn't bust him on that, so I find it hard to believe he was subject to search on the whim of the officer.

Does it look bad, and does he look like a nutjob? Yes. Is that alone justification for an apparently unjustified search and arrest? I hope to hell not. Watch him, question him, look for any actual illegal activity. I fully support all that. But that's all.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Senior Moderator
    600 K bail ?

The kid is being railroaded...and for what? A sensational "story" ?

Everything he did was legal.

He may be "different" or even "weird" but unless he is certifiably "weird" it wont matter in court. "Weird" is entirely subjective. What is weird to you may not be weird to me and vice versa.

Personally, I find it weird that people think he is weird.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I think what we see in this case is a knee jerk reaction. This guy, who is obviously a little different from the folks around him, comes to school in a bullet proof vest and scares the sheep, who don't understand why someone would want to wear a bulletproof vest at a school. After all, bad things always happen to some one else. So the school calls the cops. The kid doesn't provide the answers the police are looking for now angering them. His 'papers" are in order but he won't tell them what he's doing or why. The police are afraid of not doing something because "if" they don't do anything and he shoots to break the school massacre numbers, they will look bad. So, better be safe and run him in.

The vest is legal.
    The firearms legal
    The "chemical" bomb is legal (plus the grandfather said it was empty)

The newspaper box shooting he's guilty of. Hopefully others who have vandalized a newspaper box will be locked up and held with $600,000 bail.

Anyone who wears body armor over a t-shirt is weird. It is supposed to go under a dress shirt unless you work for CSI where all the women wear spaghetti strap tops under theirs.

Senior Moderator
    Anyone who wears body armor over a t-shirt is weird
    ummmm.....uhhhh.....

belive it or not, I have exited my truck doing just that....

am I wierd?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    The vest is legal.
    The firearms legal
    The "chemical" bomb is legal (plus the grandfather said it was empty)
    Maybe , maybe not. Per the article quoted above, he has a prior arrest for unlawful CCW.

Depending on the status of that case, he may well be a prohibited person as far as the firearms (and perhaps the vest as well) are concerned.

I submit that we don't have enough information to make a judgment either way at this point.

Edit to add - belay the vest comment - per F.S. 775.0846, it is unlawful to wear a vest during the commission of certain crimes. Merely wearing one in a classroom would not qualify it appears.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Maybe , maybe not. Per the article quoted above, he has a prior arrest for unlawful CCW.

Depending on the status of that case, he may well be a prohibited person as far as the firearms (and perhaps the vest as well) are concerned.

I submit that we don't have enough information to make a judgment either way at this point.
    If he was, he cleared multiple NICS checks through a suspicious FFL who surely would not have cut corners for him. I agree, we don't know for sure, though.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Look at this part of the article:

Lakeland Police Department Officer Jennifer Mullins, however, in applying on Oct. 10 for a search warrant for Newberry's home, wrote that she "believes that Newberry is training and arming himself for some future illegal event in conjunction and conspiracy with other like-minded persons."

Police were looking for evidence of "communications and plans" at Newberry's home at 2108 Selkirk Lane. They didn't say whether they found anything to indicate a plan was in motion.

"This is a classic case of personal rights versus public safety," said Sgt. Terri Smith of the Lakeland Police Department. "Did we step in and avert a disaster? We may never know."

I would hope after locking this person up they better well know after they execute their search warrant. It would be a travesty for them to walk away saying nothing found.

Wow! Listen to you guys! (and gals). If someone applied the same yardstick to half of you, you'd be in a cell.

" In the eyes of law enforcement, Newberry, 18, is potentially dangerous. "

Who isn't?

"Newberry displayed a great knowledge of assault weapons, police body armor, and knowledge of defeating body armor for the purpose of killing human beings," an officer said in a police report."

Duh!. Half the folks on this forum could be arrested on the same charges. Since when is it illegal to have "knowledge"? If they had caught him with a gun on school property, that would be one thing. They did not.

If you really care about the "right to self defense" you have to think that this is an over reaction on the part of the police. (even if they are right about this knucklehead.) They could be applying the same rationale to you next.

You can't have it both ways.

VIP Member
    They did walk away saying nothing found...a piece of paper with 10-19 on it. Now that's certainly worth $600,000....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

This is almost as bad as the fat home schooled kid in PA.
    I think the witch hunts may be starting up again.
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links