Student Arrested After Wearing Body Armor to Class

This is a discussion on Student Arrested After Wearing Body Armor to Class within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OPFOR, the stack of charges beyond what he really did will never stick. I think we all know this. The bail will also come down, ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Student Arrested After Wearing Body Armor to Class

OPFOR, the stack of charges beyond what he really did will never stick. I think we all know this. The bail will also come down, if it hasn't done so already.

The kid sounds pretty messed up to me. Hopefully this little escapade of his scares the snot out of him and gets professional help for him. He is young and his life is far from over.

I gotta believe there must have been something they all saw in him to raise the red flags. Hopefully he is on the radar and his parent will take a little notice and start parenting. Hopefully he will get help.

2. Remove Ads

Ya know... So far, what I see is a kid who is possibly "at risk" with a few red flags. Other than that, I don't see any criminal action on the surface of what has been reported thus far.

Sure this kid needs some supervision and to be watched to see if he develops any anti-social or criminal behavior. But almost all youth needs to be watched for such behavior and activity.

His long arms as far as I can tell are legal, the tear gas can, empty and the body armor in a lot of states is not illegal unless you commit a crime while wearing body armor. Then it becomes a felony.

Again, I see a kid who may be at risk, but so far, I don't see anything that warrants sitting in jail on $600,000 bond.

JMHO

Btw... I haven't read every post on this thread so if I missed something, I stand corrected.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Oh yeah.... and don't forget, Dog the Bounty Hunter wears his body armor over a bare chest!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    If he was, he cleared multiple NICS checks through a suspicious FFL who surely would not have cut corners for him. I agree, we don't know for sure, though.
    Or, he purchased the guns before he was arrested.

We're shooting in the dark here. Hopefully more information will become available to illuminate just what is going on here.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Anyone who wears body armor over a t-shirt is weird. It is supposed to go under a dress shirt unless you work for CSI where all the women wear spaghetti strap tops under theirs.
    I ALWAYS wear over a tshirt (and under a dress shirt). Don't you? I hate to have the stuff up against my skin! Plus, the sweat factor is multiplied EXPONENTIALLY! Can you imagine how nasty Dog's vest is? Not on topic, but has anyone tried the Under Armor solution to this problem?
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Look, some folks may see the kid as slightly suspicious and that's fine. Just keep an eye on him. Frankly, half of what he got tagged for would get half the folks on this board canned too!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Here's the latest:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/oct...?news-breaking

Police Haven't Found Plans For 'Illegal Event' On Teen's Computer

By Billy Townsend of The Tampa Tribune

Published: October 18, 2007

LAKELAND - Police are continuing to search computer equipment seized from the home of 18-year-old Shawn Newberry, but they have yet to find evidence of any plot in motion, Lakeland Police Department Sgt. Terri Smith said Thursday.

Shawn Newberry

Newberry, who legally accumulated firearms and other weaponry in the past 10 months, was arrested Monday after an investigation that started Oct. 3, when he walked into a Lakeland charter school where he had just enrolled wearing a bullet-resistant vest.

He has been charged with having a weapon on school grounds, armed trespassing, grand theft and criminal mischief. Only the first charge relates to the school incident. It stems from a canister of a Mace-like chemical agent called "Clear Out" that police say they found in Newberry's car.

At no point during the school incident did Newberry threaten anyone, according to police and school officials.

The other three charges come from video of target-shooting sprees at a property off Winter Lake Road. The video was seized during a search of Newberry's home Oct. 10, police said.

It has not been released to the public.

That search was prompted, in part, by concerns that Newberry was "training and arming himself for some future illegal event in conjunction and conspiracy with other like-minded persons," Officer Jennifer Mullins wrote in applying for the warrant. Police were looking for evidence of "communications and plans" at Newberry's home at 2108 Selkirk Lane.

No such evidence has turned up, Smith said. But detectives are continuing forensic checks of the computer equipment, she said. Newberry remains in the Polk County Jail on $605,000 bail.

Newberry's father said his son has been wrongly accused. "The truth is Shawn is the most gentle person you'll ever meet in the world," Jessie Newberry Jr. said. "He's never picked a fight with anybody. He would not hurt a flea."

Newberry's father said his son had permission to be on the Winter Lake Road land and that the other charges, which revolved around shooting a newspaper box, are unfounded.

Reporter Billy Townsend can be reached at (863) 284-1409 or wtownsend@tampatrib.com.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links