Student Arrested After Wearing Body Armor to Class

This is a discussion on Student Arrested After Wearing Body Armor to Class within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,302557,00.html Student Arrested After Showing Up to School in Body Armor, Cops Later Find Weapons Cache An 18-year-old Florida student was arrested Monday after officials ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,302557,00.html

Student Arrested After Showing Up to School in Body Armor, Cops Later Find Weapons Cache

An 18-year-old Florida student was arrested Monday after officials informed police he was wearing a bullet-proof vest on school property.

Shawn Keiffer Newberry, 18, of Lakeland, Fla., is facing charges of armed trespassing, grand theft and criminal mischief after police found the student had purchased body armor, a Taser, AK-47s, a shotgun, gas mask and ammunition among other items, officials said.

A search warrant executed on the student's home found a video showing Newberry and four others using the AK-47s for target practice.

Officials notified police Monday that Newberry was wearing a bullet-proof vest at the Life Skills Center in Lakeland. Newberry, officials said, was evasive when asked about the vest and a search of his vehicle turned up "Clear Out," a chemical agent used to temporarily incapacitate a person.
    There has to be more to this. So far as I know, it's not illegal to purchase, own, or wear body armor, right? And he was 18, so he was legal to purchase whatever long-guns he wants. So, what did they arrest him for and get the search warrant for?

I'm curious about the charges too. He wasn't armed, and he was a student who presumably had permission to be on school property; how does that add up to armed trespassing? Grand theft of what?

Granted, walking around in body armor is kind of unusual, and it seems reasonable to question him about it. But if he's not doing anything illegal...
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    My guess is that they arrested him on suspicion that he was preparing to do something very bad. Sure walking around in body armor may raise alarm, but like you said, it's not illegal, so who knows what was running through his mind. The charge of grand theft makes no sense, as he didn't actually steal anything.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    My guess is that they arrested him on suspicion that he was preparing to do something very bad. Sure walking around in body armor may raise alarm, but like you said, it's not illegal, so who knows what was running through his mind. The charge of grand theft makes no sense, as he didn't actually steal anything.
    The article doesn't say but while searching his house they may have found evidence of grand theft.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    The article doesn't say but while searching his house they may have found evidence of grand theft.
    Good point. However, many here have commented on how schools have become fish in a barrel for homicidal maniacs, so knowing that one couldn't take a weapon to school, the best alternative this guy might have come up with was wearing a bulletproof vest.

Then again, schools are gun free zones and when was the last time someone took a gun into a gun free zone and killed someone. That'll never happen.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    Yeah but heres the thing probable cause before the search ?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

i've heard that some states have banned civilian use of body armor; i wonder if this is one of those states.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Armed trespassing was likely a result of having the tear gas in his car. He was trespassing because he was armed.

Grand theft was also likely related to the tear gas. I'll bet you he didn't buy it at Wal-Mart.

Body armor is illegal for a felon to posses, but otherwise it just draws a lot of undue attention. The only reason I could see for wearing it to school would be as a political statement.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Granted, walking around in body armor is kind of unusual, and it seems reasonable to question him about it. But if he's not doing anything illegal...
    Considering schools have been made victim disarmament zones and the current trend of our school-aged citizens going in and shooting up the places, I wouldn't be caught in a school without body armor, even if it's just concealable levII or something(it's better than nothing). That said, I wouldn't be caught dead in a place that I couldn't carry anyway, so that idea is out for me anyway...

I'd also wonder what they plan on doing about the new armored backpacks (the "bullet-proof" ones).
    Last edited by packinnova; October 17th, 2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: comment appended
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Doesn't sound like he did anything illegal to me. Except for maybe the clear out stuff. Although I don't understand how that would be enough to be able to search someones home though. If anything maybe just an expulsion. I wonder if he was wearing his armor concealed in plain sight? Either way, this is still ridiculous. I would sue the school for harassment and the police for unlawful search, seizure and arrest if I were him.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Armed trespassing was likely a result of having the tear gas in his car. He was trespassing because he was armed.

Grand theft was also likely related to the tear gas. I'll bet you he didn't buy it at Wal-Mart.
    I was hoping some of our FL members could verify this, but I know in TX, it's not illegal to have a weapon secured in your vehicle on school property. And regardless, they would need probably cause to search his vehicle in the first place.

What makes you think he stole the spray? I'm not familiar with that particular brand, but if it's just OC spray, I don't think that's illegal.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Senior Moderator
    I suspect there is more to this story.

One starting point - the suspect is in a non-traditional school for those who have had problems in the conventional school system. I suspect (but have not seen any confirmation) that he may have been on probation - in which case his person and property can be searched at any time.

Second, the videos obtained show the suspect and his companions shooting up a newspaper vending machine, and detonating an explosive device along a public roadway. He also apparently had purchased equipment to disburse CS under doors.

One wonders what they were up to.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Probably broke the dress code.

I know where the school is at.

It's a school basically for "bad" kids who drop out, get in deep trouble, etc.

It's in one of the worst areas of the town: Drugs everywhere, prostitutes and very high crime.

The kid lives in a good area.

IT's not illegal to have body armor in Fl.
    Technically they arrested him on the suspicion of doing something bad, and basically dug around until they found something to nab his butt on.

theledger.com is very liberal, as is the local police.
    Mighty HD

Senior Moderator
    But if he were on probation (which seems at least reasonable to speculate about), then his person and property can be searched for any reason.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Did a bit of research,

Yes sir boys and girls, he has been in a bit of trouble

Number Name RS DOB Entry Release
    2007-025617 NEWBERRY, SHAWN KEIFFER WM 01/16/1989 10/15/2007
    2007-024694 NEWBERRY, SHAWN KIEFER WM 01/16/1989 10/06/2007 10/07/2007

Inmate Name: NEWBERRY, SHAWN KIEFER Release Date: 10/07/2007
    Booking Number: 2007-024694 Booking Date: 10/06/2007
    Race: W Sex: M DOB: 01/16/1989 Height: 506 Weight: 140

Arresting Agency: LAKELAND POLICE DEPT.
    Hold: N Hold for:
    Disposition of Hold:

Charge Number: 1
    Statute: 790.115(1) WEAPON OFFENSE-EXHIBIT FA DESTR DEVIC WPN SCH PROP/WI 1000
    Charge on arrest docket: POSS WEAPON ON SCHOOL GROUNDS
    Bond Type: SBN Bond Number: A062003244
    Purge Number: Purge/Bond Amount: 5,000.00
    Surety: 0.00 Cash: 0.00 Bond Exp.: SBN/PTR A062003244 $5000.00
    How Released: SBN/PTR
    Upgrade/Reduction:

Inmate Name: NEWBERRY, SHAWN KEIFFER
    Booking Number: 2007-025617 Booking Date: 10/15/2007
    Race: W Sex: M DOB: 01/16/1989 Height: 506 Weight: 140

Arresting Agency: POLK COUNTY SHERIFF
    Hold: N Hold for:
    Disposition of Hold: