What would you have done?

This is a discussion on What would you have done? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK here is the story; Saturday I was with the youngest son at an at a place called "Myers Gardens" on a College field trip. ...

Thread: What would you have done?

Question What would you have done?

OK here is the story; Saturday I was with the youngest son at an at a place called "Myers Gardens" on a College field trip. As He did not want to be in a crowded buss with a bunch of "Hippies" He asked me along so we left early Driving separately from the school group and made a few fun stops (like gun store browsing) on the way.

In the course of events I check the entrance (this Myers Gardens is one big place ) and there is no sign prohibiting N I am good to go. While there I am of course CCW condition yellow at all times. Following the suggested course of travel we enter this one area where there is this one rude oblivious bozo with a cam corder doing a Cecil B, ignoring the rest of the world N tyeing up the main passage, (no one moving), after waiting patiently for several (close to 5) minutes for him to stop so we can proceed, I say to heck with it after all this is a public place and we are here to enjoy our self, also we are time limited (the school made it a late start N the place closes in a few hours) so I start to proceed. When suddenly the boy (20 year old son) grabs my long tailed shirt on my strong side to stop me!

What I did... As usual I have the HK strong side in a pancake at about the elbow, and always keep my arm tucked close in, I just locked my elbow down tight and said in normal tones to the boy "Don't touch me!" and he backed off with a puzzled look on his face it was several second before he realized what had just transpired.

Later that evening (we went to a IMAX movie too) while on the way home I berated him for his actions, and told him in no uncertain tones that he was never to do that again.
    His response was rather non issue "it was no big deal, no one was watching or saw anything". Now let me state for the record I take my CCW very seriouslly and this kind of irked me, the boy is 20 6'7" was front line defensive tackle in HS (I'm the short one at 6'4") and a genuine no neck working on a degree as an architect and should know better, especially as he is going for his CCW training very soon as he will be 21 in December. My retort was how would you like to become a pedestrian and walk the 50+ miles home re-think your statement.

Now what would you do, have done differently?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    We'd cried about it on Dr Phil, then have Judge Judy settle the whole thing for us. Then turn in my ccw to the Brady Bunch.

Really, I think I'd done the same thing as you described.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

i probably would have done the same.
    how did you like meyer gardens by the way?
    i havnt been there in a while.

I wouldn't have waited so long to say something - I would have found a quiet corner right away and "break it down Barney style" for him so he understands exactly what he may and may not do to his father. Grabbing a shirt and pulling would definitely meet the criteria! I'm still waiting on my first (32 weeks....getting close!) but this is the way I deal with this type of ignorant disrespect I see from time to time in the military.

Austin

Probably would have done much the same thing. It's possible that it was an innocent thing, accidentally forgetting you were carrying. However, he's certainly aware you do, right? Fooling around with the defensive weapon or its concealment while out in public isn't kosher. If a friend or family member isn't going to respect the seriousness of its purpose and play around, knowing I carry, then that person's likely going to find other means of getting home ... if for no other reason than to, as you say, rethink his/her dismissiveness. It is what it is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No the boy is aware that if I can't CCW 100% of the time I won't go there, he just is ignorant of the fact of how serious of an issue it is, and I was desperately trying to teach this to him before he earns the right to carry and finds out the hard way. Hence I waited to talk to him about it, Meijers Garden, (yeah I misspelled it in my post) is a great place, but not a good place for this type of a discussion. I plan on going back when they hatch the butterfly's, next time I will take the wife, but I don't have to worry about her, she carries a 24/7 in her purse. But it sure is one heap of walking to see it all in just a few hours though, so if you go make it early enough to see what you want and not have to rush through it. Then afterwords the 'Celebration Cinema" is just up the road and watching an IMAX move is kind of neat.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you explained it well. Guess he needs to better understand how serious a responsibility carrying a gun is.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

just in case you dont know- celebration is defiantly a no carry zone. they have the official 'the is an entertainment facility that holds over 2500 ppl' sign on every door. at least im pretty sure it was celebration that had that.

I dunno. It sounds like it was an accident. If you respect your kid a gentle reminder would probably have been enough. I don't have kids though so who am I to say? It just reminds me of something my Dad would do.

Being berated by a man I seriously respect for something that is a complete accident is really tough. If an apology didn't square us, I might have responded the way your son did to try and minimize the perceived damage on his part. Threatening to make me walk home would only make it worse.

I don't hang out with my Dad much these days.

In an accident you apologize not make excuses and blow it off. Kids are fun, and mom's have their daughters, and dad's their son's and sometimes tomboy's, but they all need guidance, positive and negative. He is experienced enough to have known better, and someday will figure it out. Mean while boys are fun to spoil, trains, airplanes, ATVs, guns...

20 years old and you berated him. A polite adult conversation would be the better solution. I am sure that he did it on purpose just to have and argument with you. After all that is probably why he asked you to go in the first place. (end sarcasm). I have a son and have found that berating him does no good. They learn alot more when you treat them with respect just as you want to be respected. Make it a learning point not a sore spot.

+1 with Seanwins
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Wink

Did you ever try and have a adult conversation with a kid that is... smarter than the rest of the world, never wrong, the best shot in the world, the best mechanic in the world, the best computer wiz, and has a severe case of "Supper Man Complex"?
    He is a good kid, but so full of himself it is not even remotely funny. For example a few weeks back when I tried to show him a short cut on a Calculus equation he flat out said he knew what he was doing to leave him alone, I did so after he blew the chapter test he came back and said show me that again.

Each of my 4 kids had a different learning curve, a punishment or reprimand would that would work with one would totally fail with the others. Each child is a unique individual and every situation must be handled accordingly. If you try to rubber stamp your method raising your children you will fail on at least one.

Besides I must not be messing up too badly the boy's a, Eagle scout, Mason, Honer student, and never been in trouble with the law. Now If I can only cure his "Supper Man Complex" long enough to see grandkids his father instincts will take over and let him grow old.

First off- I would not have been as patient as you while the amateur Cecil B. Demille was filming. I would have asked him politely to move so we could pass by. If he refused things could have esculated quickly.

As far as your son is concerned. He probably did that without thinking,(youngsters are like that) shrug it off with a smile--no real harm done.

Links