You Know, I Gotta Wonder...

This is a discussion on You Know, I Gotta Wonder... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This could go in either the long gun section or the politics section. I kinda' like it here though. I have to wonder what would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Know, I Gotta Wonder...

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

You Know, I Gotta Wonder...

This could go in either the long gun section or the politics section. I kinda' like it here though.

I have to wonder what would happen if, at age 16 in our schools, kids started a hand-to-hand combat curriculum. (Reference Japan - I have known a lot of Japanese businessmen and they all had to take Judo in highschool.) In addition to that, what if marksmanship and safety training were started with Daisy air rifles?

At age 17-18 (or senior in highschool), they would start practicing with .22s. These .22s would be something inexpensive, perhaps surplus/C&R like the M1969 Romanian trainer. Nice, simple, well balanced, and very inexpensive.

At graduation everyone who passed with a C or better in this class would be given a Mosin-Nagant rifle or carbine along with 100 rounds of surplus ammo for familiarization, and 40 rounds of say, Brown Bear, Winchester, S&B, or Wolf soft point to put in their surplus ammunition holders.

Then, the rifle could be put up in the closet or shot, depending, as the schools would no longer have control, but rather the former students would be in charg of practice.

I doubt crime would go up, but maybe terrorism would go down? Especially since private citizens are not exactly bound by the rules of war as is the military.

Think about it: All this could be done for right around $300 per person over a three year period. This includes firearms and ammunition with enough left over to pay the H2H instructor.

It probably wouldn't be possible to give everyone an AR15, but a slightly modified C&R rifle like a Mosin-Nagant which can be had for right around $70 if you have a C&R license or through a marksmanship program, would be very doable.

Just do away with something worthless like Home Economics. If you can't figure out how to live, then I doubt a class in school will make much difference one way or another.

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

sounds like any excellent idea,,,only problem would be the liberal shool administrators,,

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    In the 50s thro the 70s there were a lot of marksmanship programs in a lot of high schools ... time and pc moves on , and now we have the state of our public schools today .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    I like the idea, except I've seen a lot of the kids that wander the halls of our public schools. They are the spawn of those who freak out over a nail file... seeing and dealing with their offspring, I can understand a little more why they freak out over a nail file.

I say if a private school wants to do it, fine. I'll teach my own kids.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Can't think of a thing that would more effectively teach responsibility and discipline than your suggestion Josh.

I've often wondered about this myself. The H2H would definitely help with working on discipline. Heck, that's what straightened me out a good bit when I got into martial arts during High School years. It gave me something to do after school and pushed me constantly in one direction.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

1943 - 2009
    This could go in either the long gun section or the politics section.
    Be advised, we don't have a "politics" section.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

The government would just screw it up somehow. Its up to parents to teach their kids how to do something like shooting.

VIP Member
    Things change & NOT for the better.......

We took a hunter safety course in Jr High school.(in the 70s)

Antonin Scalia (Supreme Court Justice), talked of carrying his .22 rifle on the NYC subway for his school shooting team.

Those days are long gone.....now 'Zero Tolerance' is the rule of the day. Now you get arrested for even talking about firearms at school!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Things change & NOT for the better.......

We took a hunter safety course in Jr High school.(in the 70s)

Antonin Scalia (Supreme Court Justice), talked of carrying his .22 rifle on the NYC subway for his school shooting team.

Those days are long gone.....now 'Zero Tolerance' is the rule of the day. Now you get arrested for even talking about firearms at school!
    I remember the my HS' rifle club in lower Manhattan (NYC) and that was in 1980. Don't know if that HS still has one.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Be advised, we don't have a "politics" section.
    Coulda' sweared there was! This makes the only board other than H&A that doesn't have one, that I'm aware of.

Or maybe my mind's just going. Thirty is less than a month away, and I understand it's all downhill after that!

Josh <><

Upon the lament of learning to shoot with my Dad, and learning a bit more in Boy Scouts, and then being disappointed in High School, and especially College at * where I grew up, I wish there were something more available than the 3 credit course of "wellness"

OP Smith, you are on target. Whether or not this should happen in school is a big issue. Organizations like the NRA help parents help their children, whereas schools are fearful of suits.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsstnr View Post
    whereas schools are fearful of suits.
    Anymore I am more fearful of schools. I will supervise my children's firearm education, but I do wis schools would do 180 from their anti mantra.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Don't forget there are a lot of kids with a, shall I say, "less-than-wholesome" nature. Those weapons could find their ways to black market all too easily. It's a good concept, but only as an abstract. My motto regarding education is, "Schooling begins at home".
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    My motto regarding education is, "Schooling begins at home".

I am also fond of the notion that education begins/remains in the home and instruction is in the school.

I could see this happening in a Charter School/Private School, but never a public school.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links