SHTF Scenario

This is a discussion on SHTF Scenario within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was wondering what supplies and how much would you need in the event of a catastrophe, i.e. Katrina? How much water/food, ammo, medical supplies ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHTF Scenario

SHTF Scenario

I was wondering what supplies and how much would you need in the event of a catastrophe, i.e. Katrina?

How much water/food, ammo, medical supplies etc? I don't have a stockpile of anything and was wondering what list you all have?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I don't have a specific list, that would be too organized. I do have plans for such a scenerio. The first is to prepare for shelter in place, which I consider to be the most likely to occur if something should happen. I've tried to add food, and I've added MREs and food bars, along with normal food supplies, along with water, toilet tissue, and other household supplies. I've been accumulating ammo for my guns-2K rounds of .223, and a supply of 9mm, ,45ACP, and 12 g. After I get comfortable that I have enough for shelter in place, I'll start preparing for a bug out scenerio. Ideally, I'll eventually have a 4 wheel drive SUV that I can pack, and keep in the garage. Until then, I'll have supplies that I can pack into the van, and take off.

Discussed Many Times...

I can shut the doors, close the curtains, protect myself, and live comfortably for a couple of months...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It all depends on what you want to plan for. Are you going to bug out (leave the danger area) or bug in (stay home and fortify)? The supply lists for each scenario would differ.

I'm also a member of a survivalist website: zombiehunters.org While the name might sound ridiculous, they don't really believe in Zombies (99% of em anyways) and all they do is talk about this stuff all day long.

Someone posted this link awhile back:
    http://survivalprimer.com/2006Masterindex.htm
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Good info here on a kit for short term survival.
    http://www.rosssportinggoods.com/1731792.html
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanwins View Post
    It all depends on what you want to plan for. Are you going to bug out (leave the danger area) or bug in (stay home and fortify)? The supply lists for each scenario would differ.
    Be careful with that line of thinking. You need to be prepped for both. Who's to say that the storm doesnt destroy your home, or the tank car tipped close enough. Maybe the roads are not passable, maybe an illness or injury prevents travel.

I've found that the items are much the same, but the key is how you store it. I use a modular system of a sort. Everything is boxed up in "kits". I know that I can grab crate A and have the very basics of survival. B has a little more in depth supply for a longer period and so on.

As far as whats needed, that depends. Are you looking out for the Brady Bunch or just you? What kind of vehicle do you have if a bugout is needed? What kind of survival skills do you have, or special skills that could be bartered? What you need in a SHTF depends on a lot of factors.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It's a bit of an extreme scenario, but The Patriot by James Wesley Rawles is a pretty good book and gives you a pretty good idea of how things could go horribly wrong and how wonderfully you can be prepared.
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Lots of Beer, Ice, ammo. I live on the beach so I am use to the storms.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Be careful with that line of thinking. You need to be prepped for both. Who's to say that the storm doesnt destroy your home, or the tank car tipped close enough. Maybe the roads are not passable, maybe an illness or injury prevents travel.

I've found that the items are much the same, but the key is how you store it. I use a modular system of a sort. Everything is boxed up in "kits". I know that I can grab crate A and have the very basics of survival. B has a little more in depth supply for a longer period and so on.

As far as whats needed, that depends. Are you looking out for the Brady Bunch or just you? What kind of vehicle do you have if a bugout is needed? What kind of survival skills do you have, or special skills that could be bartered? What you need in a SHTF depends on a lot of factors.
    I agree to a large extent, but depending on where you live bugging in may be a very bad idea. Of course, that depends heavily on the disaster you are preparing for and where you live. Bugging in assumes the lights will come back on and relative order will be restored in your area within a reasonable amount of time. It also assumes that you will not be forcibly evacuated by the authorities as in Katrina. If the S truly HTF then there may be riots and massive fires like in South Central LA. Of course, the likelihood of a full-scale disaster that makes people flee their homes is much smaller than the chances of just being left in the dark for a few days.

I prefer to bug out. There are enough avenues from my home to what I perceive as the relative safety of nature and rural communities that I should be able to get there in a car but I am prepared (and planning) to travel on foot. I live in an apartment in not such a good neighborhood and if social order breaks down its not a place I want to be. If I lived in a rural area, I would focus much less on bug out scenarios.

On the other hand, if it is a minor disaster, my Bug Out Bag (or BOB for short) will get me through several days of rough living. I tend to concentrate on "the end of the world as we know it" scenarios and lose sight of the more likely disasters. I guess I'm turning into a crazy survival nut.

Administrator
    We are saying the same thing. Bugging in or out are equally important to be prepared for.
    "Just blame Sixto"

A couple of things to think about, 1. Those of you that live in the city and plan to bug out to rural areas - The people who live in rural areas may not be to welcoming because they may be in dire straits as well. You may need to pack more then just the basics.
    2. when puttong together emergency equip and supplies, store a couple of basic survival kits in seperate areas, depending on what kind of disaster it is you may not be able to access one or the other or your main survival supplies.

Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    One good thing to also check into is what kind of HazMat commerce takes place in your areas. You may be falsely thinking that you live in a stable enough area where hunkering down in your home is the best option.

For instance, in my state some chemicals that are transported on the local freeway pose a more than significant threat if there were ever a spill. There are a few occaisional transports of chemicals that, if spilled, would force a county or multicounty evacuation. There is one that if spilled and became airborne, could force a nearly statewide evacuation.

Like Sixto said, you should be prepared for either bugging in or out.

And if you smell "almonds", you are probably allready dead.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel 007 View Post
    I was wondering what supplies and how much would you need in the event of a catastrophe, i.e. Katrina?

How much water/food, ammo, medical supplies etc? I don't have a stockpile of anything and was wondering what list you all have?
    Go to FEMA's (http://www.fema.gov/) and the American Red Cross' (http://www.redcross.org/) websites for a wealth of information. Sorry, they don't address ammunition though!

Thanks guys for the replies. All good info and will look at the links that have been given.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links