I'm a Petty Man? - Page 3

I'm a Petty Man?

This is a discussion on I'm a Petty Man? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I love Babies .........................I have never met a "Baby Doctor" but she has to be very smart to be a baby and a Dr. ..........................just ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree434Likes

Thread: I'm a Petty Man?

I love Babies .........................I have never met a "Baby Doctor" but she has to be very smart to be a baby and a Dr. ..........................just give it time she will grow on you.....................................
    Christian Family Man

Please take video!
    Dave909 and drift like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Yeah, please do. I love watching random angry people on Youtube.
    drift likes this.

VIP Member
    I like all of my husband's friends except for one of his old schoolmate buddies, because this guy talks down to his wife like she's dirt under his shoe.

I made sure that before they visited, I spoke with my husband about how things were going to go down should his friend dare speak down to me. I will not tolerate being offended in my own home. I told my husband I didn't want to put him in the position where he felt stuck between his friend and me, but his friend will leave and I'm still here, so just consider that before deciding if and how to intervene. I'm not going to tell my husband what he should and shouldn't do, because that makes me no better than his buddy. Luckily, his buddy left me alone. I think he was actually a bit intimidated by me, which is just fine.

You should never feel like you have to tip-toe around in your own home. We are always respectful of visitors, and in turn visitors will be respectful of us or they will be gone.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

From Wikipedia: About 230,000 licensed firearms owners own and use New Zealand's estimated 1.1 million firearms.

Do yourself and your wife a favor and do nothing.....you'll get bonus points from your spouse. Happy wife =happy life.

Not that I take my own advice...but I wish I had.
    drift, BadgerJ and BigJon10125 like this.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array notavictim's Avatar
    Not sure how I would handle that. I think you're doing what you have to do under the circumstances. The only rabid anti gun person I know is from merry old England and runs a golden retriever rescue in TN. She comes to my dog camp every summer. Two years ago, I had a couple boxes of 9mm ammo in my silent auction and she freaked out. It took a bit of conversation to make her understand that she was in NH and it was a different world from what she's used to. In the end, the ammo sold for a healthy sum and when she found out who bought it, she couldn't believe it was a woman and her partner who she had known for years. They did a better job that I, telling her that they had been shooting since they were children and they had a gun for self defense. That opened the door for me to inform her that probably half the 100 people in my camp had guns. She came back last year so maybe we made some progress.
    It doesn't sound like you would be so lucky. Good luck in whatever you do. I can't wait to hear the stories!
    forester58, drift and msgt/ret like this.
    “Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
    ~Sheriff Jim Wilson

When I die, I want to go like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep, not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.

We have friends from England as well and they come to Yellowstone every year. When we met them I was wearing a 357 magnum revolver openly on my hip. After we talked awhile they did say that they are very used to guns in America after all their visits and told me that one day having breakfast in Cody, Wyoming they noticed about 1/3 of the people eating were open carrying sidearms and they decided that was just the American west and got over their initial aversion. Sometimes they do come around a little when exposed more to it.
    "I do not carry a gun so I can impose my will on someone else, I carry a gun so someone else cannot impose their will on me."
    Lynn Givens

Senior Moderator
    This is interesting reading: Stanford

Read the article, and this will make sense.

Tell her if she can solve the problem of preterm births in the USA, she can win a Nobel. Nothing less. A Nobel. Tell her to have at it.

Our doctors are just as good as anywhere else:

At any given gestational age, doctors in the United States are as good as doctors in other developed countries at keeping babies alive.
    “If you look at a baby born at 25 weeks in the United States and any other developed country, we do really well,” says neonatologist Philip Sunshine, MD, who has cared for more than 30,000 premature babies during his career at Stanford and Packard Children’s. “We have the technology and we have the resources.”
    The good news is that the latest numbers on infant mortality in the United States offer the first glimmer of improvement: Data released in April 2013 showed a drop in infant mortality rates between 2005 and 2011, after a plateau from 2000 to 2005. The overall rate dropped from 6.87 deaths per 1,000 births to 6.05, and drops were seen in nearly all causes of mortality, including birth defects and preterm births. The CDC report on the new data hypothesized that part of the drop is likely due to fewer doctors performing non-medically indicated early caesarean sections or inductions of labor, although more data is needed to be sure. And the 6.05 rate still keeps the United States low on the list of international infant-mortality rankings.
    There are also compelling arguments that the USA accounts for live births differently than many other nations, that would consider some premature births as stillborn, this skewing the statistics.

Washington Times

“If hospitals in the U.S. are better at keeping very low birth-weight newborns alive for a slightly longer period of time,” the researchers conclude, “this could show up in the data as low neonatal mortality and excess post-neonatal mortality.”

Many countries don’t try to save infants born prematurely or with severe birth defects. U.S. doctors go to extraordinary lengths to give these infants a chance at life. Such best efforts often fail, and the death becomes a misleading statistic.

When the CDC excluded births before 24 weeks of gestation, the American infant-mortality rate fell from 6.1 infant deaths per 1,000 live births to 4.2, a number comparable to the rest of the developed world’s figures.
    Having said that, I am not a Epidemiologist, but neither is she. She's only a Doctor. Not an Epidemiologist, which is a big damn difference.

You might ask her if she has adjusted her data set for those minor facts.

You could also ask her how the USA Abortion Rate might effect the data. That should get her going.

Rock and Glock is a Bad Boy. He throws gasoline on fires. He despises arrogant sanctimonious foreigners.
    drift, OldChap, PAcanis and 5 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    I like all of my husband's friends except for one of his old schoolmate buddies, because this guy talks down to his wife like she's dirt under his shoe.

I made sure that before they visited, I spoke with my husband about how things were going to go down should his friend dare speak down to me. I will not tolerate being offended in my own home. I told my husband I didn't want to put him in the position where he felt stuck between his friend and me, but his friend will leave and I'm still here, so just consider that before deciding if and how to intervene. I'm not going to tell my husband what he should and shouldn't do, because that makes me no better than his buddy. Luckily, his buddy left me alone. I think he was actually a bit intimidated by me, which is just fine.

You should never feel like you have to tip-toe around in your own home. We are always respectful of visitors, and in turn visitors will be respectful of us or they will be gone.
    This is exactly my situation. My wife supports me though. She know's I'll let ignorance roll off my back 95% of the time, so when I do fight back, it's because her friend went too far. It's all good.

My wife takes on my friends all the time. It's great! She's a barracuda, and can make a freaking grown man cry. I never get involved. Well ok, sometimes I egg my friends on begging them to try harder lol. When and if my friends ever come to me and claim that my wife is a derogatory word starting with B and ending with H, I laugh and tell em they should have known better and that I'll always take my wife's side lol. They learn quick... but some will try again when booze is involved. That's when it gets really fun.

Heck - my dad and my wife became hard and fast friends after she summed up that he was a bit of an ... and had at him. He got the message. She was the only woman I've ever had in my life that made inroads with that man.

You have to be cunning. Sometimes cunning can be a little petty though. I can't help but think I might be acting a little petty on this one - BUT OH WOULD IT FEEL GOOD!

Wow...with that type of relationship I'd be hard pressed to let her stay at my house to begin with. But that aside, she's coming into your domain. I don't see a need to change habits or lifestyle just to please her. IF she doesn't like it she needs to get a hotel room. Plus the week and a half thing is just out of control. 3 Days max...Fish, friends, and relatives need to be out of the house after 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    This is interesting reading: Stanford

Read the article, and this will make sense.

Tell her if she can solve the problem of preterm births in the USA, she can win a Nobel. Nothing less. A Nobel. Tell her to have at it.

Our doctors are just as good as anywhere else:

Thanks brother. Honestly, it's not a doctor problem in America. It's the health care issue. Or rather, the insurance thing. This is where it gets really contentious because she just can't wrap her head around the fact that in America, the right to life via healthcare is not a guarantee. This of course is in stark contrast with the whole right to life abortion issue ... which convolutes her mind. She can't understand - and at it's face, who could! Only an American.

American culture is extremely difficult for an altruistic person to understand! That's a fact. But don't come running over here and judging until you do.

Senior Moderator
    Read the Washington Times article too. I added that just a moment ago.
    drift likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Albert Camus

Distinguished Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Id love to hear her plan on how to pay for this healthcare. All anyone wants to talk about is how the same government that is partially responsible for driving up the cost of healthcare to outrageous costs is supposed to come in and make it "free", but nobody wants to talk about how to get the costs under control.
    drift, OldChap and OD* like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Read the Washington Times article too. I added that just a moment ago.
    I loved it - as depressing as it was - thanks.

“The takeaway message is that the status quo is unacceptable,” says Wise. “The infant mortality rate in many ways is a synoptic judgment on our health-care system and our society. It’s telling us that we must do better — and we can do better, especially when it comes to eliminating social disparities in medicine.”
    All joking aside though, people outside of America can't understand how hard it is to live well for the vast majority in America. They always say, "But this is the richest country in the world." Well... yes, but that 1% thing is real. To ease that stress they were talking about in the article, and put us on equal footing with all the other first world nations, would mean fighting wage disparity and having a single payer system. Dude, just saying that makes you a freaking COMMUNIST in America. That's not our culture. We hate the poor here, and we hate government. There will never be a single payer system in America. Besides, in order to do any of those things, America would have to pay back the money she stole from its citizens via social security, decrease military spending, and stop privatizing jails and the like.

That'll never happen. She'll (my "friend") be right for as long as we are alive, but that doesn't mean she understands that we don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    I'm petty too.............I don't know her and I hate her already.

Me to, I must be very petty as well.
    drift likes this.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links