SMOOTH BORE Non~Male Of The Week.

This is a discussion on SMOOTH BORE Non~Male Of The Week. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That's interesting. I know with my Ithaca 37 which loads & ejects from the underside (bottom) of the receiver a sling would tend to get ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SMOOTH BORE Non~Male Of The Week.

Administrator

CombatEffective

That's interesting.
    I know with my Ithaca 37 which loads & ejects from the underside (bottom) of the receiver a sling would tend to get in my way.
    Maybe it is not so much of a problem for some folks on their particular home shotguns.
    I sure would make sure that I at least had easy QUICK DETACH sling fittings.

2. Remove Ads

Why not have a sling? Should you run out of ammo, you can strangle the ******* with it!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    OK Scratchy, Can anybody give me another good reason ???------

Administrator

Sling Strangulation

OK...Sling Used As Emergency Garotte.
    That is "A" reason to have one....I guess.
    That is PROBABLY why this female has one on her shotgun.
    To keep the noise level down should she ever need to "dispatch" a wayward male.

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    There are good reasons to have a sling on a longarm, whether or not you agree. Hands-free carry without having to relinquish/discard the weapon is one. Using one to create a more stable platform is another. Easier long-distance carry is another. It is foolish to assume that your defensive shotgun is only going to be used inside the home, particularly given its versatility. For example, in the aftermath of Isabelle, with regional power and water outages, looting, and gangs assembling in the streets, I was carrying a sidearm and my shotgun with me when I had to drive. As with any accessory, the sling has to be used properly, or it becomes more a hinderance than a help. The worry about snagging doorknobs may be overblown. Pants pockets and belt loops snag, too, but one assumes you don't forego pants because they might snag. Most of the time, maybe all of the time, you manage to avoid snagging them. In most cases, if you are handling your shotgun safely, you aren't likely to snag a doorknob with the sling, either.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I dont have a sling on mine, as a matter of fact the only thing I have a sling on is my AR15.

I had a 2 point sling on my SG but took it off because I got tired of dodging sling while grabbing the fore end. I'm planning on trying the ACE M4 stock, and if it works for me I'm gonna try a single point sling, probably a Troy CQB.

Beautiful girl, you leave with a very peaceful and serene feeling. Nice post.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Uuummm.........first aid? :RockOn mi

1952 - 2006
    Because the sling on my home defense shotgun has extra ammo attached to it. The sling I have has 9 extra rounds of buckshot and slugs in loops.

My home defense shotgun is a Mossberg 500 with a 5 round magazine. I only load three rounds in it for storage because I've seen shotguns that when fully loaded for a long period of time compresses the mag spring (it is a rather thin and weak mag spring in those tubes)
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

My only reason for a bedside handgun is to give me enough time to reach my Benelli 12. Slings are good for carrying or having it on you for longer periods....like might be required of me after WILMA passes thru my neighborhood this weekend. If you decide to get a sling better MASTER the muzzle down AFRICAN MOUNT for quickly getting the pice into action. I can do this in just about the same time I can draw my Glock from a strongside hip holster. There is a verified story from the Rhodesian conflict back in the 1980's wherein a bunch of mercs were sitting around a campfire in the African bush, but only one had a weapon handy and it was a shotgun carried muzzle down by a sling on the opposite (non-firing) shoulder. Suddenly six terrorists emerged from the tall grass with a force of ninety in the woods near by. The merc used the African Mount and managed to kill all of the BG's, before they could get a single round off. That's FAST! As the other mercs armed themselves the force of 90 melted away into the forest.

If you want to see a similar example of the African Mount watch the movie The Last of the Mohicans carefully. In the scene where the evil indian known as Mugwa tries first to kill the daughter of the Col Munroe, the Mohawk warrior uses a fast rifle move to bring his weapon to bear...that is sort of what an African Mount looks like.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Q: Why do I have a sling on my shotgun?

A: Because it can, and because I want to.

Seriously though, in the case of having to bug out quickly, I could throw my longarm over my shoulder and have my arms free to carry other items.
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links