SMOOTH BORE Non~Male Of The Week.

This is a discussion on SMOOTH BORE Non~Male Of The Week. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi Folks...I hope that you can help out with this problem. I have been on a defensive Shotgun Kick these days. Do you think that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMOOTH BORE Non~Male Of The Week.

Administrator

Hi Folks...I hope that you can help out with this problem. I have been on a defensive Shotgun Kick these days. Do you think that having a sling on a home defensive shotgun is a good idea...or not?
    I always thought they were sort of a silly addition to a home defense only shotgun. What say you?
    Obviously this "average person" (that I found on the web) thinks that they are a worthwhile addition.
    I have heard both Pro & Con?
    Any comments related to shotgun slings for home defense applications would be greatly appreciated.

I have thought about it but go with out one on mine not like im gonna be jumping over stuff and all that other jazz ya see in movies.

If it jams or is run dry and i need to make a transition dropped to the floor it goes less to deal with

I'm afraid I'll have to withhold comment until we can pan down and see the other sling attachment point.

SSKC

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    SSKC, That's exactly what I was thinkin'. The photo doesn't quite give me enough information in which to base an opinion on. More info---More info---More info---More info !!!!! --------

Administrator

RSSZ & SSKC

I'm afraid I'll have to withhold comment until we can pan down and see the other sling attachment point.

SSKC, That's exactly what I was thinkin'. The photo doesn't quite give me enough information in which to base an opinion on. More info---More info---More info---More info !!!!! --------

Ohhh there is the sling :1saufen:

Lead Moderator
    Not needed IMO . I can see a sling getting caught on a door knob or other home obstruction. Also can't see transitioning from one shoulder to the other as well with a sling on. In a home defense situation , the shotgun should be in one place. In your hands and at the ready.

Administrator

rocky

I agree...Inside the home I can see situation where a sling would create more problems than it would ever solve.

Assistant Administrator
    I've had a sling on my 870 - until adding a mag extension. Since which a sling is not wanted and I prefer it without.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I used to have an instructor that would say," why do you have a sling on that weapon? Is it because you don't want or need to be ready to shoot?" All my hunting long guns have sling swivels but my sling stays in my backpack unless I need to attach it to climb or drag my kill. Somebody PLEASE give me one good reason to have a sling on a home defense long gun ???---------

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    I used to have an instructor that would say," why do you have a sling on that weapon? Is it because you don't want or need to be ready to shoot?" All my hunting long guns have sling swivels but my sling stays in my backpack unless I need to attach it to climb or drag my kill. Somebody PLEASE give me one good reason to have a sling on a home defense long gun ???---------
    Because it's also your hunting gun?

Because it's also your ranch rifle?

Because you may have to grab a small child in the middle of the night and drag them down a hall?

Euc, Good gawd almighty man,let me see iffun I gots dis streight. >>> Your gonna sling your weapon so you can grab a small child and drag them down the hall in the middle of the night ??? Hope you don't get shot at whilst yer doin' da draggin'. -------

....gun, what gun?...

Dan

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I'm from the "any defensive/protection longarm should have a sling on it" camp.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Euc, Good gawd almighty man,let me see iffun I gots dis streight. >>> Your gonna sling your weapon so you can grab a small child and drag them down the hall in the middle of the night ??? Hope you don't get shot at whilst yer doin' da draggin'. -------
    Well if you cleared the structure first it would seem to be a logical next step to put everyone in a safe room. It'd be ideal to cover a choke point and let someone else take care of such things behind you, but odds are you'll be working alone in this situation.

Plus, shocking as it may be, some crazy thing no one planend on could happen that you'd want your hands free for without giving up control of your weapon.

I'm playing the devil's advocate here. I can see good reasons to not have a sling in this situation, but I can see good reasons why you'd have a sling on it as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links