War of the Worlds

This is a discussion on War of the Worlds within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Okay guys - there's been waaay too many threads on the various gun boards on the topic of "Total SHTF: What would you do if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: War of the Worlds

VIP Member

War of the Worlds

Okay guys - there's been waaay too many threads on the various gun boards on the topic of "Total SHTF: What would you do if aliens invaded Earth?" Go watch War of the Worlds and find out how Tom Cruise handles it.

I thought it was a great movie. There's no mega-spoiler; you should already know how it ends. There are, however, plenty of things not in the original movie that should keep you entertained.

Several things to keep in mind:

• Do you drive into the middle of a mob of people when you're the only one with an operable motor vehicle after everyone else's has been rendered useless by EMPs?
    • How did that guy's camcorder work when everything down to Tom Cruise's watch stopped working during the EMP?
    • Will wiping boogers on the giant tripods make them die faster?
    • Grab your 12 gauge. Scrap that. Grab the Barrett. Screw that; they have force fields. Run. Hide beneath the earth.
    • Hand grenades are fun.
    • Panties come raining down from the sky. Really.
    • Screaming 10-year olds are distracting when you're trying to think.
    • I'm sure glad I keep all my backpacking gear in ready-to-go mode.
    • When aliens pop up from the earth like mushrooms, don't stand there a few feet away with your jaw open. "Friendlies" have a different approach. Your feet should already have taken your butt blocks away at top speed.

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

I love the orginal movie and am looking forward to seeing the new version ... about the only thing ya could do is keep the ole pump action hand for those close encounters

Administrator

Thumbs up You'll Be Happy To Know

That I actually managed to SOMEHOW gather up enough personal self~control to skip right over Bettys thread post without reading it since I am not up for another movie SPOILER this morning.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I reread the H.G. Wells novel a couple of weekends ago in anticipation of the movie. It had been years since I read it last. The new movie is actually quite brilliant -- it adapts the H.G. Wells story and includes elements of that story missing from the previous movie, while it also contains elements of "remake" relevant to that classic film. Tim Robbins' character and the sequence involving him is an adaptation of a character from Wells' novel who spends time hiding in a basement with the protagonist. (That original character is a mentally disturbed priest, in fact.)

This is the first movie I've watched in a long time that actually had me jumping and leaning forward in my seat. Some of the sequences, especially the first attack on Cruise's neighborhood, were very harrowing. Cruise, who has taken a lot of heat in the media recently for acting like a nutjob in interviews, proves once again that despite whatever personality disorder he suffers, he's a brilliant actor. He disappears in the role and is completely believable as an immature father who is forced to grow up fast in the face of tragedy and danger.

There is a moment in the film when his own daughter realizes this, and more. That, for me, made the movie. When it was over, I was disappointed -- I wanted [i]more[i]. It was that good.

Of course Tom Cruise is a good actor... it's because HE IS a nut job! :)
    WOTW?
    6 out of 10 here.

Well, I'd start feedin them belt feds I have. Placing a whole lotta distance between me, along with my Family and well-armed friends (if they don't have a peice, they will when they're with me) and the Aliens.
    Seems to me, 308 tracer, 50 Cal in any flavor, mixed with 06, 7mm and 8mm, 223, 45, 40, 9mm, and even 22 would be a nice dressingif placed correctly.

Rock-N_Roll!!
    (perk......panties?? from heaven?)

Tom Cruise is a fine talented actor. He works hard at developing the part he plays, a really talented guy. I have watched on DVD the takes of him along with another actor developing the scene for a movie. I am impressed with people who work hard at their craft regardless their vocation.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Administrator

Thumbs up War Of The Worlds

Saw It Today

This movie SHOULD be seen. If only for the effects alone which were some of the best I've ever seen.
    Certainly ~~~ H. G. Wells Would have peed in his pants.

QK,

What effects? I really didn't notice anything extrodinary. I guess that just speaks to the "realism/believability" that movie makers are bringing to the game of sci-fi these days.

Administrator

What Effects?

The entire movie was one continuous smooth running special effect.
    Visually, it was a pretty incredible movie.
    It needed a few more pounds of "substance" right toward the end but, I'm sure glad that I went to see it.

I think the only way to handle this SHTF scenario is to stay away from other people and head for the hills. It seamed like if you run with a large mob of screaming humans you will just make a attractive target for the tripod human exterminating machines.

As far as weapon go I wouldn't try to shoot at the tripods. Wouldn't want to attract attention to your self. In a SHTF scenario there are the "Have's" and the "Have Nits". If you Have something like food, weapons or a working minivan the Have Nots will try to take it from you. Firearms will be for protection from the mobs of Have Nots.

As far as the movie went I liked it...but then I'm a Sci-Fi junky. I really liked the tripod machines. Spielberg made them really believable and true to the original H.G. Wells novel. If you notice when they first came out of the ground there was this discharge of liquid like it was purging some kind of waist tank. Then the loud horn like sound right before it began to operate. You have to see this movie in the theater because the sounds make it scary as hell. This isn’t a typical family oriented cute ET movie.
    "EVERYONE is operating with only partial information" :hand27:
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The film would have been better if they had stuck to the meteorite landing ships instead of "they were buried a LONG time ago" and the ship occupants came down to pilot them. My 12 year old even said "wouldn't the tripods have been found when building foundations were dug out?". Another inconsistancy was the TV crew being able to videotape the "lightning" that fried all the other electronic equipment. Did anyone else find it weird that all these people were leaving other cities and heading into Boston??

I wish they had included a nuke scene like the old movie. Probably would have fried Cruise's character, unless showed on a TV or something.

Special effects and the cellar scene were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    When aliens pop up from the earth like mushrooms, don't stand there a few feet away with your jaw open. "Friendlies" have a different approach. Your feet should already have taken your butt blocks away at top speed.
    Why is it that in most of the Mass Destruction movies, all the extras do not figure out untill it's to late, that they need to RUN!

Lesson learned here is that Running Like Hell is still a very good self defence tactic. :outtahere
    Last edited by MechE; July 5th, 2005 at 08:21 PM.
    "EVERYONE is operating with only partial information" :hand27:
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

Administrator

MechE

Yes, when the Earth is cracking under your feet...that is a good time to haul A$$ in ANY opposite direction. and...NOT KEEP STOPPING to wait until the crumbling street and sidewalk catches up to you again. haha

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    I'm going with MechE on this one. If the SHTF...I'm packing, taking those people I care about, and heading to the most rural and backcountry area I can...

I don't want to be near the mobs (targets...)
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links