Get out of my country: Westboto Baptist Held Accountable: (MERGED) with verdict - Page 5

Get out of my country: Westboto Baptist Held Accountable: (MERGED) with verdict

This is a discussion on Get out of my country: Westboto Baptist Held Accountable: (MERGED) with verdict within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Freedom of speech has it's limitations. Just like I am free to own a gun (or 2, or 3, or....) but I don't have the ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Get out of my country: Westboto Baptist Held Accountable: (MERGED) with verdict

Freedom of speech has it's limitations. Just like I am free to own a gun (or 2, or 3, or....) but I don't have the right to shoot people with it, for no reason. They got what they deserve, Scumbags.
    CW

Kansas fundamentalists lose big.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/10/31....ap/index.html

Nuf said. A little karmactic retribution here.....

Administrator
    Outstanding... I'm not holding my breath to see if they pay up though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    while members of the church greeted the news with tightlipped smiles. E
    11 Million from a Church with what...70 followers?
    I'm thinking it'll be easier to get blood from a rock...

and the members know it...
    thats why they are smiling...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

One would hope that all their assets would be frozen then seized and any future revenue the "church" were to generate would be seized until the 11 million dollar debt was paid off.

With any luck these mentally deranged and insane people will never again have the funds nor means to travel to a service members funeral and disrupt the ceremony.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

amen,,,

Phelps use to fax his propaganda to me when I worked at a radio station in Lawerence, Kansas back in the early to mid '90s (before Algore graced us with the eeenternet). Good to see him finally get smacked down. Back then he was just kind of a pest. He went too far protesting funerals of our fallen service men and women.

The bad thing is the radio reports I've heard spin it to sound like all churches here in Kansas were supporting him.

Just for the record- we weren't. Everyone I know supports our service men and women.

These fundamentalists are no better than the fundamentalists killing our soldiers 3,000 miles away.

A Win against Westboro Baptist Church! :D

A federal jury in Baltimore, Maryland, Wednesday awarded $10.9 million to a father of a Marine whose funeral was picketed by members of a fundamentalist church carrying signs blaming soldiers' deaths on America's tolerance of homosexuals.

A member of Westboro Baptist Church protests outside a veteran's hospital in Maywood, Illinois, in April 2006.

The family of Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder -- who was killed in a vehicle accident in Iraq's Anbar province in 2006 -- sued the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas, and its leaders for defamation, invasion of privacy and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Church members showed up at Snyder's funeral chanting derogatory slogans and holding picket signs with messages including "God Hates Fags."

They've picketed the funerals of dozens of troops killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, claiming that God is punishing the United States because of its tolerance for homosexuality.

Al Snyder, father of the slain Marine, said he considered filing the lawsuit for a long time before going forward and that he hoped the judgment would make it harder for the church to continue such protests.

"It's hard enough burying a 20-year-old son, much less having to deal with something like this," he said, recalling that some of the other signs at the funeral included "Thank God for dead soldiers" and "Thank God for IEDs."

Snyder's attorney told jurors to pick an amount "that says don't do this in Maryland again. Do not bring your circus of hate to Maryland again," according to The Associated Press.

The award includes $2.9 million in compensatory damages and $8 million in punitive damages, a clerk in the judge's chambers said.

Lawyers for the church members argued Matthew Snyder's funeral was public and the First Amendment protects all points of view, even offensive ones, the AP reported.

Church founder Fred Phelps said the church would appeal the decision, adding it would "take about five minutes to reverse that thing."

from cnn:
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/31/fun...est/index.html

woohoo
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

"The Westboro Baptists are about as despicable a group as any this country has seen."

Most of the so called "church members" are the extended family of the so called "pastor." Several of them are lawyers: They have been fighting in federal court for years. i saw the pervert preacher on TV once calling a federal judge a dyke.

Excellent. Now if we could just exile them to Iran, where there are no Homosexuals they would be happy and so would I.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I was browsing the web coverage on this all day today. The church is only worth about 1 million so that's probably all that will accually be paid. The church will then go bankrupt. Still a win on principle though.
    "EVERYONE is operating with only partial information" :hand27:
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I don't understand those people at all. I am pretty liberal (a criminal defense lawyer, for Heaven's sake, and a Democrat), but I just don't get their game at all. Not one bit. I am not a fan of the war, but they are just waaay crazy, out of line, nutball, mean-spirited turds (can I say that?)

There is NO link (at least not logically) between their two issues.

I don't know how anyone could invent one.

Failure to string up flamers causes military deaths?

What?

How?

Huh?

Have these people been tested for drugs? Have they been tested for psychological disorders or mental defects?

Have they been tested for abusing the privilege of being stupid?

Have they been tested for something?

I don't even know the word...deranged?

They could just be ignored if they didn't cause real hurt....

Ugh. Soapbox mode off....as Scrooge said, "I'll retire to bedlam".
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I can't believe some of you are supporting the selective application of free speech. Then you'll complain when there is selective application of the right to bear arms "because it only applies to militia" or some other thinking that limits it to only certain cases.

I'd like to see their stupid little church van burst into flames in a fiery accident but I think they have the same right to peaceful protest as anyone else. As long as no one is physically harms we should be able to say whatever we want.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    I can't believe some of you are supporting the selective application of free speech. Then you'll complain when there is selective application of the right to bear arms "because it only applies to militia" or some other thinking that limits it to only certain cases.

I'd like to see their stupid little church van burst into flames in a fiery accident but I think they have the same right to peaceful protest as anyone else. As long as no one is physically harms we should be able to say whatever we want.
    How was their right to free speech infringed upon?

What does the 1A actually say, and how did this court case infringe upon it?

They can say whatever they want... and they can be held accountable for what they say. You can't slander someone, you can't libel them, you can't threaten them... and what about the father's right to bury his son in peace?

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    11 Million from a Church with what...70 followers?
    I'm thinking it'll be easier to get blood from a rock...

and the members know it...
    thats why they are smiling...
    Everything they own or will ever earn will be attached. They aren't OJ with an untouchable $25,000/ mo NFL pension
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links