Get out of my country: Westboto Baptist Held Accountable: (MERGED) with verdict

This is a discussion on Get out of my country: Westboto Baptist Held Accountable: (MERGED) with verdict within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; anybody read up on this? It's about that Westboro church.... Father of Marine Killed in Iraq Sues Church for Cheering Death...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

anybody read up on this? It's about that Westboro church....

Father of Marine Killed in Iraq Sues Church for Cheering Death

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    There is a small part of me that's a little torn about this. To a certain point I can see what those treasonous freaks are doing as free speech. Thus, I worry about this becoming a precident to suppress a legitamite free speech issue. (God knows if they are ever here protesting one of our heroes death I'll stand with the Patriot Riders).

But on the other hand I hope he drains their resourses and makes them pay for how they mistreated a suffering family.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    There is a small part of me that's a little torn about this. To a certain point I can see what those treasonous freaks are doing as free speech. Thus, I worry about this becoming a precident to suppress a legitamite free speech issue. (God knows if they are ever here protesting one of our heroes death I'll stand with the Patriot Riders).

But on the other hand I hope he drains their resourses and makes them pay for how they mistreated a suffering family.
    That's the problem I'm having, part of me wants to have their faces smashed in with broken bottles. The other half is all about free speech.

My question is, who feels this crosses the line and goes into hate speech?

-Alex

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenSix9ine View Post
    That's the problem I'm having, part of me wants to have their faces smashed in with broken bottles. The other half is all about free speech.

My question is, who feels this crosses the line and goes into hate speech?

-Alex
    I do think it's hate speech, but I don't really believe the constitution differentiates between hate and normal speech. It does cross the line of sedition, but with nothing happening to that congresman stark after his treasonous statements or those that have called to for the death of our countries leadership and no prosecutions taking place it would be disingenous to keep this group accountable if they won't keep everyone accountable.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    im going to be sick.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    I do think it's hate speech, but I don't really believe the constitution differentiates between hate and normal speech. It does cross the line of sedition, but with nothing happening to that congresman stark after his treasonous statements or those that have called to for the death of our countries leadership and no prosecutions taking place it would be disingenous to keep this group accountable if they won't keep everyone accountable.
    That's what angers me the most, I completely agree with what you are saying yet I wish there was something that could be done.

-Alex

Free speech does have limits. (Yes, you can yell "Fire" in a crowded theater, if the theater is burning.)

What Westboro church is doing could be chargeable as disturbing the peace or inciting a riot. Now with the Federal 500 feet ruling, I haven't seen any protesters at any of the services I've been invited to with the Patriot Guard.

VIP Member
    This just exhibits the decay of the moral fabric in our society,it is shear lack of respect....I still miss the 50's

I am a born again Bible believing Christian. I believe what the Bible says. One can disagree and I won't be offended because your not disagreeing with me your disagreeing with scripture and therefore God.

They're right in saying the homosexuality is a sin. However, God will judge ALL sexual sin, homosexuality, lust, premarital sex and adultery, etc... Again if you disagree, your problem is not with me.

God will also judge these people. What they are doing is evil and not of love. This pastor will one day stand before a Holy God and will not like what he has to say as this "pastor" is leading his flock astray. This man and his "church" make me sick and I would not greet him as a brother in Christ.

As Christian's our mandate from Jesus Christ himself is to spread the Good News of what He has done for us. It's up to God to then change the lives of the individual.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

ya

Visit their web site. Ya sure they are love-filled, love-motivated Christians. As with all things good, there are cheap/faulty replicas, and then there is the real thing. It's up to us to discern the difference. As with any disease, there is a cost to fighting it off, just as there is a cost for sucumbing to it. I'm all for a good fight.
    H@H

First Amendment? Remember the "Fighting Words" exception! I'd say a sign thanking God for the death of your son would be 'fighting words'.

Remember too that the First Amendment protects you from government action, not from the civil consequences of your speech. If you slander someone, you're free to do it but you also need to ante up in court to make the victim of your slander whole again.

I am utterly thrilled that someone took him to court. He's been doing this to others for years (suing), and this is just desserts. Phelps, of course, will be judgement proof. That said, I hope the award is "MacDonalds coffee spill" sized, and I hope the father siezes everything down to their dirty socks.

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

U.S. District Richard Bennett instructed jurors at the start of testimony Tuesday that the First Amendment protection of free speech has limits, including vulgar, offensive and shocking statements. Bennett said the jurors must decide "whether the defendant's actions would be highly offensive to a reasonable person, whether they were extreme and outrageous, and whether these actions were so offensive and shocking as to not be entitled to First Amendment protection."

Here is one of the main issues to me - people have the right to state their opinion, but when it comes to the point where it hurts someone else, that is when the line is crossed.

I believe the Rev. Phelps has the right to preach from Scripture whatever he thinks is right. But, this, to me, as a pastor and a Christian, crosses the line. And, whether or not he has the right to be THERE (at the funeral) when he preaches, is also important.

I personally detest this man's actions.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    They aren't totally judgment proof - the "church" owns real property, and I'd be very happy to see this father end up taking everything they own.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Makes me sick and sad too

When I hear about this kind of thing I get sick. I feel for the family and as a Christian would like to offer my apologies to the family. Please note, all Christians do not behave like these idiots.

In our ministry we battle this kind of radical misrepresentation all the time. Sometimes I feel like I'm at war with the denominations. There is no biblical precedent for this kind of behavior at all.

I do believe that this country is loosing God's blessing due to our behavior (corporately speaking), but this kind of thing is just plain wrong on so many levels. This is definately not the way to address the problem.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by SevenSix9ine View Post
    anybody read up on this? It's about that Westboro church....

Father of Marine Killed in Iraq Sues Church for Cheering Death
    I believe in freedom of speech but I also choose to exercise my freedom to ingore idiots :D
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links