First full day working at the range- report.

This is a discussion on First full day working at the range- report. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Today was my first full day working at the range. What a great time I had. Now, I am not getting paid for this job. ...

Today was my first full day working at the range. What a great time I had.

Now, I am not getting paid for this job. I am a Range Assistant. An unpaid position at RangeUSA (http://www.rangeusa.com) and it entails helping get students where they need to be (on the range, in the class rooms, whatever) grading tests, assisting with the range portion of the course (setting up targets, assisting with student range problems like jammed guns and stuff) setting up teaching materials for the instructor, and any thing else the instructor needs. We also help out on the floor as needed in the gun shop itself.

I was there for 10 ours today and it honestly felt like I was there maybe an hour or two. We were very busy. 29 people in the TN Permit to carry class that lasted 8 hours, and just 2 students in the Street Handgun Level III class that lasted 4 hours.

One funny, but sad at the same time, story from today. There is no live ammo allowed in the class room for the Permit class. We ask the students for any live ammo to be left behind the counter when they check in out front for the class. Then, one of us stands at the entrance to the class room and reminds them that no live ammo is allowed in the class room and asks if they have any. Then, the instructor is in the class room and reminds them again that no live ammo is allowed in the class room and asks, again, if any of them have any. All the students said no, they had no live ammo.

Then the instructor started class and explained that live ammo was any ammunition that if you put it in the gun and pulled the trigger, the gun would go BANG!

A woman in the front row raised her hand and asked "Would practice ammo be considered live?" The instructor answered "Yes". So she says "OH, well I have some of that." and proceeds to pull out 3, 50 round boxes of ammo and place them on the table in front of her.

She just stared at the ammo with a look on her face like a monkey doing a math problem and couldn't understand why the instructor, myself and the other range assistant was so dumbfounded about her bringing the ammo into the class room. The instructor had to explain to her that even though it was "practice ammo" if she shot someone with it, accidentally or on purpose, they would not be "practicing" being dead. It was in fact real ammo. She appologized and seemed to understand but only just barely.

She passed the written test and the shooting qualification by the way. She did have the lowest score on the shooting part of the course however. But she did pass.

All in all, I had a great time and I can not wait to do it again. I get a pretty sweet discount on merchandise too. I bought a $60 Don Hume holster for $34.00! And I bought a nice Sigarms T-shirt that usually sells for $15.00 for $6.60. I get to buy 2 guns at cost per year and I will be taking advantage of that perk as soon as Christmas is over and paid for. And I get to shoot for free (no lane fees) and I can take any class offered there for free. I will be taking advantage of that like crazy very soon!

I am really loving this gig.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Sounds like a great time. You get to do something you enjoy, help others and receive a few perks as well. As far as the lady and the practice ammo, I'm sure that won't be the strangest thing you will see.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Sounds like a great deal...so you already have the two guns picked out?
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    Sounds like a great deal...so you already have the two guns picked out?
    Yes I do. I am going to order an intermediate size XD in either .40 or 9mm. I am leaning towards 9mm right now due to cost of ammo and magazine capacity as I want to use it for IDPA.

And I would really like to get a Glock 26.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Perhaps it would be better stated 'no ammunition' instead of 'no live ammunition'.

Yes, I know, eventually someone will wonder if that empty brass in their bag is 'ammunition', but...

-john

Administrator
    Great Job for you Mike. Time sure will fly on by when you're doing what you love doing.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sounds like a great opportunity...I would jump on something like that...enjoy your time...(get the G-26)...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Now thats Fun!

When I took the class in Jackson (Tn.), we got to the range part of the exam and one of the students brought 500 rds 22 LR.
    Looked really confussed when the instructor pointed out that they would not work well in that 38 snub she had in her hand.

Assistant Administrator
    Good stuff Mike - certainly time goes fast on such things. My limitation to that length of time these days is the standing involved.

The instructor had to explain to her that even though it was "practice ammo" if she shot someone with it, accidentally or on purpose, they would not be "practicing" being dead.
    Rather liked the response - funny tho serious matter. Hard to imagine someone being quite so dense regarding the ammo - standard deal of course for classroom.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Mike-
    Get out now! Never go back! You will soon be hooked, and your list of guns you want will far exceed the two per year cost discount, and you will be stuck there forever! Wait a minute, let me think about this. Never mind.

Great job Mike, I envy you; besides, you're already hooked..
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Links