Hunting Dogs Shoot Man During Hunt

This is a discussion on Hunting Dogs Shoot Man During Hunt within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; TAMA, Iowa — A Tama man was injured when hunting dogs stepped on his gun. Officials with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources say 37-year-old ...

Thread: Hunting Dogs Shoot Man During Hunt

TAMA, Iowa — A Tama man was injured when hunting dogs stepped on his gun.

Officials with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources say 37-year-old James Harris was pheasant hunting with a group about three miles north of Grinnell when the accident happened.

Officials say the group had shot a bird and when Harris went to retrieve it, he put his gun on the ground and crossed a fence. As he crossed the fence, hunting dogs stepped on his gun causing it to fire.

Harris was shot in the lower left leg.

He was treated at Grinnell Medical Center and later transferred by helicopter to University Hospitals in Iowa City.

The investigation is continuing.

***Note from me***

Since hunting season is now here, all of you hunters be very careful. Don't add to the accidental shooting stats this year. May all of your bucks have huge racks and your freezers be packed.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Grinnell is where I base for my annual Airedale pheasant trip. I'll be heading that way in a week or so.

I have hunted birds for years and I guarantee if you lay down the shotgun, a dog will step on it. I hunt with a 16 ga. sxs and, if I need to lay the gun down, I break it open (and then the Airedales will step on it)

Pheasant reports are low again this year. Still beats working.

To tie this in with concealed carry, Iowa does not reciprocate with Ky. Not good.

Dave

woops! hope he is ok.
    Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction!!!!

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    The dog was just gettin' even for being "fixed"
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I don't hunt pheasants, so I don't know, but I thought the hunting dogs would have retrieved the downed bird...
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

i use an over and under when pheasent hunting and if I have to cross a fence (or do anything else for that matter) I just break open my barrel, with a pump I jack the slide open about an inch.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    i use an over and under when pheasent hunting and if I have to cross a fence (or do anything else for that matter) I just break open my barrel, with a pump I jack the slide open about an inch.
    These are hunting rules 101. With an automatic, pump, under over, whatever, you always need to make the gun safe before you start climbing a fence. I know it said he laid it down on the ground, but that doesn't make the gun safe. Thank God the blast hit him in the leg and not in the chest or head.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Sponsored Links